Famous Maker AMD Quad-Core Slimline Desktop

If you have a win 7 disk sure. The drivers can all be d/led from the manufactures site. Best bet is to put them on a thumb drive and wipe the disk and do a clean win 7 install. You might also be able to get a restore disk with win 7 from the manufacturer. (nominal price)

You can but a usb to dvi adapter and get the second monitor that would support business use just fine. I wouldn’t try to game with I though.

Kitties chewing on power cords? I have 8 cats and never had a one of 'em chew on a cord. I’ve never had a laptop power supply die in 20 years.

I did lose a Sony Vaio years ago to a huge lightning strike, even though unplugged…it came in through a phone line to the modem!

Why you calling an OS (operating system) the AI? Just trying to keep up on my jargon.

“Famous Maker”??? Is that right up there with HP and Dell and Apple? Actually, for a quad core proc unit with 4GB and 1TB drive, the price is outstanding. Even if it only lasts a couple of years.

It’s def an HP. I know one when I cee one. So I bought one to replace my old HP/Compaq DC5700 SFF PC that has a pentium D. I use this for school. As my main machines are Mac and I go to school for IT.

Just be weary of the Quad Cores clock speed it’s kinda low but still a great windows 8 PC.

Is it ever not HP?

It could be good to check the Passmark rating for this chip, 1905, to the full list of processor speed ratings:

Note, if you want to add a second monitor, or a video card, you don’t want a “slimline” model with weak power supply in the first place. This is designed for web browsing and word processing at a low price and taking low space, it is not intended for more special uses. If you want more special uses, don’t bother with this one–get a more full size machine in the first place.

I’m not into computer gaming at all so I don’t need “the best or the fastest”.
If I’m just looking for a general purpose (ebay, facebook, online banking, vacation photos) computer, I’m thinking that this would be okay for me?
I’ve been looking for a newer computer to replace the one I have now and all the ones that I’ve seen were between $600-$800.
You guys all seem to know a lot about computers… would this one be okay for what i’m going to be using it for?
Thank you for your honest advice!

I might get this to put on Linux. I wonder if this comes with a restore partition for the Win8. I want to be able to dual boot.

That is what this machine is designed for, however, a previous commenter hit the nail on the head. It’s basically a crap shoot. Why do you think it’s debranded from HP? Because HP doesn’t want the bad reputation when these things fail quickly. I have seen so many of these HP slimlines come in with a bad motherboard, it’s unreal. Turn it on, let it run for a few minutes, then put your finger on the chipset heatsink. It will be so hot you can’t hold your finger on it for more than a second. They reflow the chipset and it comes back to life. Sometimes they may last several years, and sometimes they die again in a month or two. Step 1: Gather scrapped dead machines like this for next to nothing. Step 2: Bring them back to life. Step 3: Sell them for a small discount under retail. Step 4: Rake in the profits!

It looks an awful lot like this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Refurbished-Black-Slimline-Tower-400-224-Desktop-PC-with-AMD-Quad-Core-A4-5000-Accelerated-Processor-6GB-Memory-1TB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-8.1-M/37821506

Impossible. Ours is Famous Maker. :tongue:

I’d really like to see the motherboard, or at least know what it is.

Okay you’re on to something here. I would really like to know more about the motherboard or at least see it. Are you familiar with the model?

Needs HDMI before I would consider it, and this doesn’t have it, which is the deal breaker for me.

I’m confused, are the USB ports 2.0 or 3.0?

Should work well for that.

There are

4 USB 3.0 ports
2 USB 2.0 ports