Favorite headache cure?

1 Like

Peace and quiet and sleep (if possible) if not excedrin

3 Likes

Excedrin Migraine!

9 Likes

It’s spelled acetaminophen… just fyi

8 Likes

This is another ridiculous poll, obviously put together by a Millennial (lack of knowledge & breadth of experience), where it leaves me with NO available response!

1. Have never been able to take Aspirin.
  2. Tylenol makes my headaches pound worse.
  3. Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory. It’s for pain with inflammation - not headaches.
  4. My kids have been grown and gone from home for 10+ years. Not viable.

So where’s the options for a prescription narcotic or the migraine specific prescription pain killers or an option for “none of the above”?

7 Likes

Although ibuprofen is indeed an anti inflammatory it also blocks pain receptors. So it is very good for headaches. I am a certified pharmacy tech. :slight_smile: Tylenol just masks the receptors temporarily.

12 Likes

Sweet, Sweet Caffeine!

10 Likes

Sumatriptan sometimes works. Other times, I just shut up and suffer.

2 Likes

An “Other” option in the poll would have been applicable for those of us who don’t get headaches as well.

And yes, I am profoundly grateful to be in such a category.

6 Likes

Nothing OTC. Grit my teeth, sleep if possible, pretend to sleep, pretend to be dead. Last resort: see my doctor now, or urgent care. Luckily, those killers only happen once in so many years. Common headaches I just ignore - hate pills etc., won’t take it if I don’t HAVE to, and I do have to take enough already.

2 Likes

I’m almost positive that regular Excedrin and Excedrin Migraine have the exact same ingredients :neutral_face:

3 Likes

Even though it’s TERRIBLE for you, I sometimes have to take a Goody’s powder with a Coke for bad headaches. Prescription migraine meds haven’t been working for me the last 10 years or so. I also drink Gatorade for the electrolytes and sometimes eat an Almond Joy (caffeine and almonds for the magnesium). We have CALM gummies with magnesium, as well.

3 Likes

I started chewing Excedrin after I read The Shining

3 Likes

I have chronic migraines. Tylenol and dark, quiet rooms work best, though Ibuprofen works as well. (and yes, I know that sounds like light meds, but I only needed one Ibuprofen after dental surgery when they were recommending opioids…) I hate taking meds at all, and I usually wait through about 3 hours of headache before taking something. Then I know it’s either a light headache I can wait out, or one of the bad ones. I’ve had some luck with pressure-point remedies, but it usually just makes the headache wait until I take it off.
Smells, lights and sounds set me off, so I tend not to do well at the movies, or near people with strong perfume.

3 Likes

Frovatripton

A quart of Kentucky bourbon, neat. Come to think of it, that’s probably how I got the headache in the first place.

10 Likes

And there’s the other lovely problem with Ibuprofen (& any anti-inflammatory ie. Aleve, Mobic, Celebrex etc.) that years of use OTC or by prescription can cause CKD. (Chronic Kidney Disease) I should know, I was on a prescription anti-inflammatory and within a 6 month period I went from normal/healthy to being at the very end of Stage 3 CKD - I am right on the edge and the next step is a shunt and dialysis and after that, transplant as I was born with only 1 fully functional kidney. I don’t “do” needles & blood etc., so I won’t make it thru to a transplant. So even more of a death sentence for me.

So the moral of this story is, don’t take anti-inflammatories. Even less than I took can cause this.

2 Likes

Do not underestimate the power of Goody’s!

They make my blood pressure go up! I try to avoid them.

I don’t get many headaches, I am very lucky. I try to stick to Tylenol.

3 Likes

Maybe you just weren’t trying hard enough?

Aspirin was good enough for First Nations people; it’s good enough for me.

2 Likes

Maybe someday Woot will stock dictionaries.

(Seriously, their copywriters aren’t trying very hard.)

2 Likes