First Act 5-Pad Digital Drum Set

Some sad sack posted an unflattering a review:

part 1:

part 2:

Here’s a video review to give you an idea. In a nutshell, this guy found it to be underwhelming.

The weird thing is that even though the manual is for hr First Act MI117 and this Woot is for the MI117, the picture in the manual looks VERY different from the Woot photo.

Speaking as a drummer I kinda hate these things. They’re similar to real drum playing the way a radio-controlled car is to real driving, only less fun. Whether you’re looking to practice for the real thing or just looking to have a good time with drumsticks I would say look elsewhere.

I have a lot of drumming experience, and if you’re looking to play drums, this is not for you.

This is for the youngin’s to make noise on, and nothing more.

The poor guy that posted that review is now set to receive some undesired attention. :[

So, do they have a MIDI output?!

Can’t you play them with your hands/fingers like bongos?

I can always use it as a boomerang.

Close, but not really…Unless you put the square pad pegs into the round pad holes, would it sound the same?

You mean busking? No, for a couple of reasons.
1 - You won’t get a good quality sound out of this TOY.
2 - You won’t get a loud enough sound out of this TOY.
3 - You won’t be able to actually play this TOY as if it were an instrument.

And,
It’s a TOY.

Apparently you can, at least according to this video review.

I think the real question here is: Will this help my Rock Band score?

Most people don’t actually know how to play bongos, and if they did, they would play on actual BONGOS! You can buy a decent set of bongos for about $35-45.

And no, I’m sure tapping lightly with your fingers so that you don’t annoy Mom is NOT what kids will want to do with this.

Perfect! my gawddaughter’s mother just pissed me off. Payback in the form of birthday present. Muhahahahehehoho

Realizing fully that you’re joking, the answer is no. And if you’ve got the Rock Band set of drum pads you should just practice on those.

SO, Bongosolo, do you recommend this drum set?

No line out means you can’t attach this to speakers or to a computer which is a big deal-breaker for me.

Tinny? Looks like more like plastic to me…

Hitting an upside down plastic trash barrel?

Train your children for the Water Drum Band!

Oh yeah, it’s awesome. Rock stardom, here you come.

Silly people with their drum lessons and practice pads and method books, what do they know?