First Alert ONELink Talking Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detector – 2 Pack

All of you saying Amazon has a better deal, you are not looking at this model: Here is it on Amazon for 60 something for 1.
http://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-SCO501CN-3ST-Operated-Combination/dp/B000EVO7C2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1227593515&sr=1-3
This is a good deal. Some of the differences is these units link to one another so if one goes off, the other go off saying where the alert is coming from. Also, these are both a smoke and CO detector.
I do not think these are the kind that talk to you like the media was making a big deal out of, but don’t quote me on that. I think the talking part comes in that it tells you where the fire or CO problem is occuring, so you don’t take that route out of the house.

but then would you want to leave at all or just stay there and bask in the glory of comedy gold?

Amazon model is NOT a CO detector!!!

That’s why all CO detectors should be home electrical outlet plug-in variety…
and most of them are.

Also, the Amazon link lists smoke alarms, the woot offering is a smoke/carbon monoxide detector in one. There’s a recall listed but it’s from 2006, and has a different model #

I’ve been meaning to get some of these things but they were always $90 and up, might have to take the plunge on this one

Look closer at the model number,e.g. SAO501CN as compared to SA501CN2. They are different items.

The problem with traditional smoke detectors is they don’t wake everyone. Sometimes sleepers incorporate sounds into their dreams . Thunder may be drums or an explosion. The alarm may be school bell, shift change etc. Children in particular are hard to rouse from a deep sleep. They are more likely to respond to their parent’s voice.

Well, I guess having four guys in our house, ONE is bound to wake. But I guess in large houses, or houses with a lot of deep sleepers this could be handy. But, I still contend it isn’t a good woot.

To me, woot feels like a place for entertaining items, or ones that could provide/facilitate entertainment. Not ones meant to save your life.

Wow, you’d hate to get this as a Xmas gift and then would just re-gift it? How old are you, 12?

OK, I realize a smoke/CO alarm is nowhere near as sexy as an Xbox or iPhone, but for crying out loud… someone getting you this as a gift is making a real effort to help you stay alive. If that’s not a thoughtful gift, what in the world is? Sheesh.

I think the price on these is entirely reasonable for what you’re getting – although not a huge discount by any means. Yeah, there are some available that are cheaper, but they aren’t as fancy as these… if anyone finds something with just as many features at <$40, please post a link. Just saying “they’re cheaper elsewhere!” is less than useless.

Commercially available UL-approved CO detectors don’t sound until you’ve been exposed to like 75 ppm (parts per million) carbon monoxide for over 45 minutes. You may not be dead, but you’ve already lost far too many brain cells than I have to spare

Noob. Did you even look at them both?

how is a cooking fire a false alarm?

Sometimes I’m tempted to buy crap like this just to keep the copywriters employed. But then I realize better crap will eventually come along.

This would be a great next purchase for the genius from sellout yesterday who asked about using the charcoal grill indoors. :b

CO Detectors should be placed low to the floor where the gas is more quickly detected. By the time the CO reaches the ceiling mounted smoke detector the only voice you’ll be able to hear is GODS!

This is a 2 Pack and a Two for Tuesday. So you get 4 correct???

Reading is fun…

In the box:

* 2 First Alert ONELink SCO501CN Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors
* 4 AA Batteries
* 2 Sets of Wall Mounting Screws

lo0o0ool Best post ever read in woot, Good job

no. it doesn’t. we have these in our house, they’re the most annoying fucking things ever.

the batteries die every 2 months too. HOWEVER i’m okay with it because i’d rather be annoyed every 2 months by something i didn’t pay for than not wake up one morning.

and, they don’t go off, due, to, um, other smoke.

Will the CO2 detector be good close to our bed? I am thinking that a methane detector might be more apropos…hmm. This is carp.