First Alert ONELINK Wireless Smoke Alarm 2-Pack

Woot editors, you forgot the link titled “I don’t value the safety of my home and worldly possessions or the lives of my loved ones.”

if I tested mine right now I’d need an emergency medical kit after the wife got through

froogled - lowest price $69.11

eh…Ike made us do a complete rewire…the city made us hardwire every bedroom, hallway and main living area…so while I’m not “in for three”…it’s NOT because I don’t care…

although I do like the April Fool’s idea…

Either Woot is using the wrong item number or these are infact Smoke+CO alarms. Which is it!

The best smoke detectors are the combination photo-electric and ionization alarms.

The photo-electric detects smoke from a smoldering fire and the ionization senses the heat in a faster moving fire.

Same model number and item here, here, and here as far as I can tell. That is to say, not the CO alarm.

As a firefighter, I recommend these ONELINK models. Placing one on each division of your home (including your attic!) is a great idea. In some areas like mine, linked detectors are actually fire code. Stay safe, a few quality detectors cost less than a house or a life!

Also, don’t stop there, get CO detectors!

We have 4 of the First Alert ONELink Talking Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors, purchased on Woot, throughout our two apartments (in the same building) and have been very happy with them. It’s nice to know when there is a problem in my other apartment when I’m not there. While this Woot doesn’t have CO detection or voice abilities, it’s also cheaper and provide much of the same functionality.

The sensor is sensitive but not overly sensitive. Unlike cheaper alarms, this uses a photoelectric sensor and not ionization. Both technologies have their advantages but I can verify that we’ve had fewer false alarms from cooking as compared to an older ionization model.

these alarms seem to be hit and miss.
http://www.buzzillions.com/x/s?N=4294811422&D=x&cat=&extra=all-product&Ntt=first+Alert+Smoke+Alarm

There’s a version of this alarm that uses a human voice rather than a siren to blare its warning. Studies have shown that a loud voice alarm is more effective at waking people up, especially children. My guess is that most of us, especially techie folks and city dwellers, have gotten immune to electronic beeps and rings, so ordinary sirens may not register in our sleeping heads. For what it’s worth, a study also showed that a mother’s voice is most effective, but alarms that allow you to record your own voice are very expensive, and I know if none that has wireless linking.

Hmmm. This is actually something I never thought of. Now that I think about it, the technology would have to be pretty good to avoid false alarms or to work when it is really needed. Maybe the technology is good, but I am a bit skeptical. Wireless technology today is still fraught with FAILURE to make me comfortable.

So, let’s see. I can buy 6 alarms for under $30 dollars at HD, or I can rely on “technology” with these expensive alarms. And for the average house, you would need to place an order for at least 2 or more 2 packs for a price between $85 and $125. Hmmm, I am not getting the value here at all. But it’s early. I await for more elucidative comments.

I though at first that these alarms would connect wirelessly to your router. You can be at work and know that your house is on fire.

As a gifted pyromaniac and arsonist for hire, I too recommend this brand for whatever reasons the fire guy just gave.

That “ARRIVES BY CHRISTMAS” icon is no joke. While smoke detectors may seem like a boring Christmas gift, the holidays are also a time of high fire risk. That’s because of the Christmas trees, use of candles, lights and yards of loose electrical wires – not to mention heaters, both electrical and kerosene. There have been stories of how a pre-installed smoke detectors have saved families even though the thing was still giftwrapped. Apparently, the giver had the foresight to put the batteries in before wrapping.

This is definitely a gift that keeps on giving. The recipient can think of you during that annual battery change, for the next 7 or so years (the lifetime of a smoke detector). And the fact that it was first installed around New Year makes it easy to remember when to change batteries.

I’m in a safety class as a college elective, and we read a study that claimed that voice units perform worse with children under age 10 than the normal beeping alarms. An accompanying video showed a good number of children sleeping for upwards of a half hour through the alarm, despite it being placed at their bedside as they slept. Just goes to show what good ‘studies’ do.

Point is, nothing works as well as having another family member wake up the child.

Another thing…
One big advantage of these detectors is that they use much cheaper AA batteries (only 2), not 9 volts. And they are much easier to change. These use a battery chamber that slides out, making it possible to replace the batteries without removing the entire detector from the wall or ceiling.

Although I use normal alkalines, using lithium batteries may be your best bet. In some detectors, a lithium battery will last the life of the detector, or about 7 years. You simply throw the thing away without ever replacing any batteries. I believe many areas now require the use of lithium batteries because the failure to replace spent batteries is the major reason fires get out of control.

I strongly suggest these. But I have a questiong for WOOT. I see you ar offering 2 for Tuesday, Does that mean there will be a 5 for Friday? LOL Merry Christmas

Regardless of varied opinions on this discussion, if these meet your needs, this IS a great price. Cheapest I could find with pricetrace was 70 bucks from amazon for this pair. And hey, these aren’t refurbs. New. They didn’t have to remove the smoke stains and melt marks from prior dissatisfied owners before selling them to us! Very reassuring…

They come with dead batteries,that way when you DIAF you will not be able to file a lawsuit against Skamazon.

I am a retired firefighter, this is my recommendation: check your detectors monthly. Change the batteries twice a year, new batteries are cheap compared to what you can lose! I change mine when we change our clocks.