Fissler Blue Point 6.4Qt Pressure Cooker

The one that blew beans all over my grandma’s kitchen had the relief valve. It didn’t explode, it was simply that once she had turned off the fire and let cool down and opened the valve to let off pressure a bean got stuck in the opening so even though it stopped venting and appear to be safe to open it wasn’t… Even though the pressures were not huge it was still great enough to blow beans everywhere, I remembered seeing the stain on the ceiling near the stove where they hit… There is no way to make a pressure cooker 100% safe unless you simply don’t use it at all.

What? No vacuum today? Did I come to the wrong site?

I have a similar unit, made in Spain, and it works very well. There are nights when I get home late and realize on the drive that I forgot to shop for food basics. I stop at the local “quick stop” type store and buy a few potatoes, a good-sized onion and a frozen pound of ground beef.

Cut up the veggies a bit, put them in the pressure cooker with some water, ground beef and seasoning, and in short order I have what I call “poor man’s pot roast!”

Try this: Put the pot in a sink, run cold water on the base. This rapidly reduces the temp and the pressure drops. Or don’t be in such a rush to open it. Until there is a Nerf pressure cooker, you have to use it properly.

Does anyone know if this works on an induction cook top? I have seen some 18/10 Stainless that worked and some that didn’t.

Can this one be used on a glass top stove? I have been wanting one, but my friend got one for bday and couldn’t use it on her stove??? I would like to know before I purchase one!

Just found this online in the description: The CookStar all-stove base, made of an extra-thick aluminum core and high-quality stainless steel, ensures that the base will never separate, warp, or develop hotspots, even on induction stoves.
So I’m guessing yes - it can be used on Induction Stoves!

Good point. My Mother learned the virtue of doing this after her one and only experience of opening hers too soon (potatoes on the ceiling, mercifully no one was hurt).

Holy laboratory Walter White! Aint nobody got time for that!

(I made that a link for you.)

One of the reviews for that item confirms that the Presto has the old-fashioned kind of pressure valve, this has the modern, spring-loaded kind, which makes cooking virtually silent.

That one compares the Presto to a different German brand, but you get the idea. People do seem to love these modern PCs. (I certainly love mine, but since it’s my first, I have nothing to compare it to.)

So one difference is an updated valve design. Also, the Presto is apparently made in China, which I’m not saying in itself means lesser quality, but certainly would account for a price differential. Also, not saying this accounts for a significant price difference, but the Fissler set today includes trivet and steamer basket, which are nice to have (though you can certainly sub in your own stainless veggie steamer and/or cooling rack of the appropriate size), while the Presto seems to include only a trivet.

Also, not addressed to your post, but to a couple of others – this is not advertised as a canner, just a cooker. So why the ire?

What, you don’t have staff on hand to core your carrots for you? And what well-equipped home kitchen doesn’t have a centrifuge? Crazy!

I’ve been curious about that Maillard effect, though I read somewhere that using baking powder to enhance caramelization diminishes nutrition. If I find a cite for that I’ll post it later on.

chuckle For some reason, I imagined some wooter who works for Hasbro reading your comment and getting all wide-eyed as they thought, “Hmm…never thought of that…H**L YEAH!!! We can do that!”

I… want that.

I’ve got a Presto and it works fine.

It does make noise, and it will always vent a little steam when the regulator is dancing properly. But this also means I can hear if the temperature is right.

It has a safety plug in the lid that will theoretically blow out if the pressure gets too high.

There is an interlock that prevents opening it when there is pressure.

There is no way to release the pressure. You have to wait for it to cool down. It is, however, made of such heavy aluminum that it won’t hurt it to put it in the sink and run cold water over it to speed the cooling.

Cooking a pot roast in 45 minutes is an amazing thing.

Yes, it will work perfectly on an Induction Stove.

They are too busy working on my idea for a Nerf digital camera, powered by magic fairy dust that lets anyone take action-stopping gym game shots of their kid.

Does anyone know if the 6.4 qt volume is total volume or working volume? I’m interested in replacing a much loved Cuisinart that is an 8 total/6 working qt unit, and is has an non-available gasket that’s getting alarmingly hard.

Yes I love my pressure cooker – a week’s worth of bachelor meat (ahem — for, not from!) in 45 minutes. Works great for chilis too. I rarely use anything else these days for bachelor food.

I use a Fagor for about half the price, which works great. I think the main selling points for the premium pricing is the supposed completely silent operation and the two pressure system.

… the upgrade is tempting, but for bachelor food purposes my only regret is that I wish I had gotten the biggest one they had. You know, something my roommate would fit in.

^
Still doesn’t explain the creepy lamp. Now I just want to see Sylvia on Haunted Home Inspector WITH Rod. :smiley:

Can Woot bring this deal back? I missed this pressure cooker deal, but need this pressure cooker.

Please, please bring it back!!!