Flip MinoHD 4GB Camcorder w/Image Stabilization (3rd Gen - Newest)

I had gotten the regular one as a gift. Never used it much, but when I finally did, I got a few hours use before it died. Took it apart and cleaned the battery contacts, etc, but no love.

Is the HD one any better?

At first I thought, “Oh, how nice. Woot is doing a tribute to Steve Jobs by selling iPods.” Then I realized it isn’t an iPod.

http://www.amazon.com/Flip-MinoHD-Video-Camera-Generation/dp/B004AP96FQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1317964038&sr=8-5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvCvZPUToPY

This is the greatest woot deal I’ve seen in a long time.

Awesome Camera Awesome Price.

The question is will I get a Quality Post for saying this?

The answer: (TBD)

In for 1 since these are new and not refurbs. Been wanting one for a while now and can’t pass this deal up.

Got the older model from here last year. It’s great and the battery holds a charge for a long time if you don’t use it. Well built. I’ll be getting one of these as an upgrade.

Ive been waiting for this for a while. I want to start motovlogging and hide this in my helmet but Ive seen with previous Flip cameras when moving they get the shakes and dont really focus sharply. Can anybody confirm if this is the case with this particular one?

Yeah, only three weeks ago I paid $20 more during the Woot Off. Not happy about that. Thanks a lot, Woot.

It annoys me a bit that the total with shipping comes out to $44.99, just one penny shy of being able to use the Tax discount for Texans.

Um, yeah, because Woot, along with all their other superpowers, are totally clairvoyant as well.

Buy two next time. :slight_smile:

Great price and item!

According to Cisco. They will provide support until 12/31/2013.

In for 1.

I’d be interested but I already have the Kodak i6 bought from Woot ages ago. Just out of idle curiosity, how doe they compare?

Two major points I can think of that the Kodak has right away is that it takes AA batteries (and came with 2 rechargables + charger), and that it has expandable memory via an SD slot.

However, since this is newer tech i’m assuming better picture quality, image stabilization would be a handy feature…

WHY!? my new iPhone 4s will do 1080p video just fine, thank you very much. :wink:

Just curious… I’m looking for a camera that does time-lapse. I don’t think this is the thing, but does anyone have any experience with a time-lapse capable camera that they like?

Does this Flip have any advantage over the iPhone 4?

Many Canon cameras can use the CHDK firmware which does time-lapse as well as RAW output and many other tricks from the less expensive PowerShot models. I use CHDK with my Canon A640 and like the additional features very much. CHDK Wiki | Fandom

Turn Your Point-and-Shoot into a Super-Camera

While this is one of the best Flips, it’s still a FLip, which has significant disadvantages over other palmcorders:

1. It is not expandable – which is unique among these devices. Even $15 Chinese generic models usually have an SD slot. Once you run outof memory, that’s it. You either have to start deleting videos or find a computer to download them. THere are no built-in editing features for your to get rid of junk footage to regain memory.

2. More importantly, you can’t remove a memory card to download, share or transport videos. That’s inconvenient since it means you can’t just put the card into digital photo frame to play videos. NOr can you easily give your videos to a friend until you’re by a computer. This can be a problem for journalists, for example, who sometimes need to quickly give their most recent footage for editing, while continuing to use the recorder.

3. Most importantly, since Cisco has discontinued the Flips, support will be non-existent in the near future. IN other words, no new drivers will be developed. What happens then , when you upgrade to WIndows 8? It may not be compatible with this Flip. With any other recorder, you can simply remove the memory card and copy the files. No such luck with this. If this Flip is not recognized over USB, you’ll need to find an older computer to download.

4. Again, unique among handcorders, Flips DON’T TAKE STILL PHOTOS!!! And again, even the cheapest Chinese models bought through eBay have a still mode. But Flips don’t. Instead, you have to go to your computer and do a “frame capture” while playing the video. That’s not only inconvenient, but the photos are usually of poorer quality. Furthermore, you have no idea how the photo looks so you wouldn’t know if you have to re-take the photo until you’re by your computer. With a normal model, you get instant results so you can re-take if necessary. WORST, this means that you have to take a video every time you need a photo. THAT’S A HUGE WASTE OF MEMORY (that’s not even expandable!!!).

According to the description:
“Capture photos using the easy Snapshot feature: You can grab a still-image photo from any of the 60 frames that comprise each second of your video”

What they don’t mention is that the “Snapshot feature” is not built into the Flip. It’s part of the software installed on your computer.

1. The famous Flip USB arm is a stupid feature because it is delicate and non-replaceable. Very rarely do people have the desk space to have this jutting out of your laptop. And putting it in a desktop means that it’s suspended in the air by the arm alone, risking breakage. A USB extension cord is then needed, which defeats the whole point of this built-in USB arm. Furthermore, unless your laptop’s USB port is at the perfect height, having this plugged into your laptop means that it’s bending your computer’s USB port (and its USB arm) under its weight. Not good. That can break the port and the Flip. Using a simple old fashion USB port means that you can buy a replacement cord for about $1 on ebay. On the other hand, if this USB arm breaks, you have a paperweight (especially since it’s the only way to download videos since IT DOESN’T USE MEMORY CARDS!!!). Or do what the Creative Vado did: Have a compartment for a built in cord. Then you’ll have the cord always with you, which is the supposed advantage of the Flip arm. Frankly, that claim is stupid since most people wil need to bring a along the USB extension anyway.

2. You cannot adjust the resolution or frame rate, meaning you don’t have the choice to sacrifice resolution for video length. With most palmcorders, you can choose a lower resolution or frame rate. That allows for longer videos. But with this you must use the default HD 60fps setting, limiting the capacity to 1 hour max. And if you have a lot of movement, the capacity is even less because movement is not as compressible. This is stupid because you really don’t need 60fps unless there is fast movement, i.e sports. What a waste of space. It’s even worse when you consider that the memory is non-expandable.

3. Finally, like all palmcorders, you can’t pause during recording. This problem is not unique to the Flip. Most digital cameras cannot pause either (with Samsung’s being a notable exception). That means more junk footage and wasted memory. It also means lots of little snippets instead of one video when it is in fact, one event. That makes organization annoying, and time consuming because you will have to concantenate all the snippets. Furthermore, you can’t just play an entire session for instant presentations since since many video apps don’t automatically advance to the next video like a slide show. You’ll have to manually forward to each new snippet. But again, this is a flaw that is present in all handcorders.

All in all, the Flip is a poor choice that’s more form than function.