Flip MinoHD (Current Gen) with FlipShare TV Wireless A/V Extender

just like that last 8 track player will never be ‘the old one’.
/s

I’m still waiting for woot to offer the UltraHD – the one that has a waterproof case, sO I can take it Scuba diving. I have an original Flip, and MinoHD (from woot) and I like them both – and use them fairly often.

Here is the one I use, Its awesome!

I’m not a fan of The Flip. It is one of the most overhyped, overpriced and underpowered gadgets out there. AND … it’s been discontinued by Cisco. No big loss.

Why I hate it:

1. Of all the palm type camcorders out there, Flips have the fewest features. Compare with models from Creative, Kodak, JVC, Sony, etc. Most are even cheaper. Essentially, you’re paying for the status symbolism and he gorgeous box it comes in. I have a Flip and a Kodak which cost half as much and I use the Kodak about 90% of the time (even though I hate the MOV format used by Kodak).

Those who tout The Flip for its simplicity should realize that all these palmcorders are point-and-shoot. Just Turn on, press Record. But other models like my cheap and very old Kodak Zi6 ($49 refurbed) offer Still Photo, multiple modes to save space (i.e. VGA, 30fps, 60fps), multiple play speeds, etc.

1. It’s the only model I know of that can’t do still photos. Instead, you need to do a screen capture on your computer. Even $20 Chinese-made camcorders do still photos.

2. It’s one of the very few models that doesn’t use removable SD memory. That means that you need to be by a computer to free memory. Since you can’t Pause while recording, you’ll have a lot of junk footage wasting space. In other words, you’ll easily fill up the 1 hr capacity of this Flip. With the popularity of smartphones and iPads, fewer and fewer people are dragging their laptops on vacation. Do you really want to dump 4gb of videos onto your iPad (if that’s even possible) given that some models only have 8gb total? What to do then on a 7 day vacation??? Removable memory also allows me to quickly share my videos with friends. The lack of removable memory is one of the biggest problems of the Flip line.

3. The famous Flip arm is actually one of the worst features. First, it’s fragile and not replaceable. Second, it takes up lots of space. Few people have enough desk space to have this jutting out a laptop. And you certainly can’t suspend this out a desktop’s USB port without breaking the Flip arm. In other words, you’ll likely end up using a USB extension cord which defeats the whole purpose and novelty of the Flip arm. A MUCH better solution is the built-in USB cord on the Creative Vado. Or a simple old fashion USB port that uses an EASILY replaceable $2 USB cord. But then the Flip wouldn’t be The Flip, right?

Is the Flipshare software decent enough for editing videos?

This is like paying for the flipshare TV technology, which frankly, intrigues me, and getting the flip camera for about twenty bucks. I’m mulling.

Flip Flip Flipadelphia

For really basic things, like trimming the video and putting it together, it’s fine. If you’re using really really short clips, it can be annoying, because it won’t let you do anything under 3 seconds. Overall, though, it’s more than I would expect from software that comes with a camera, and it’s very easy to use.

I have an older Flip UltraHD (second generation) and we’ve been pretty happy with it. The .mp4 video is a bit annoying to work with, because if you want to do anything advanced, it can be tricky to get a program that will work with the format, or at least work without crashing. Generally, though, I like the Flip, and I LOVE not having to have an extra cable, since I’m terribly disorganized and cables are the kind of thing that can somehow disappear in the span of five minutes just when you need them.

I recently made a video with the Flip and the indoor, artificial lighting isn’t great, but it’s not terrible. The shots with natural lighting came out pretty well, I think, but I’ve never had any kind of fancy video camera to compare it to.

You can see examples of video shot with the Flip on their Facebook fan page.

It’s a mistake for Cisco to discontinue the Flip, dumber still to not even cut a deal to sell off the company or the Flip brand.

I like the Flip UltraHD, despite having other tech to take videos. It’s small, convenient, and works fine for what I need it to do. I’d imagine the MinoHD would be even better given its smaller size.

How does the video quality compare to the new ipod touch’s video capabilities?

It bothers me that you can get only 1 resolution from a device like this. There will be times that you want smaller file sizes
and lower computer playback ‘overhead’ meaning some comuters will struggle to playback HD video.

I watch a lot of video for research projects. Nearly everything I wtch is at 1/2 or 1/4 of 720P resolution. this is plenty of resolution for
research work… to a discerning eye, mine. 720P is great for a motion picture movie that you’re going to sit down to for 2 hours and enjoy
to impress friends. But it’s a high enough resolution that it’s going to cause you problems when it’s the only resolution available to you.

See what another person has to say at Amazon. Click on the 1 star review and find the person ‘Bradley J. French’
and see what he has to say.

This is a toy for children with $150 to blow. Are you a child?

Oh… maybe you are… see the post below… (no offense intended to the previous poster)

Engadget was not Enamored with the FlipShare TV:

I’ve used a MinoHD a couple of times, most recently to record a lecture, and the results were quite good (both video and audio). It’s more-or-less idiot-proof: just press record.

I know the media says these devices have been replaced by smartphone video, but I haven’t seen a smartphone that I would have been able to easily screw onto a tripod (as I did for the lecture), and it would have been rather impractical to take calls on my smartphone from people needing to be admitted to the event (as I had to, numerous times) while still capturing video of the event.

I agree with the above point about the flip-out USB arm. It wouldn’t plug into any of the 3 USB ports on my laptop without the Flip body being blocked by the surface the laptop was on, and I wouldn’t want to put any stress on it. Fortunately I was able to quickly locate a USB extension cable.

I’ve no experience with FlipShare TV but I wonder about range and interference. From the caveats in the setup guide, I get the feeling your PC better be within a few feet of the TV
receiver and have line-of-sight. It also seems to transmit only Flip videos. It it allowed more flexible placement and allowed me to display anything on my laptop (including browser) on my TV, I might be interested.

It was a wise man indeed who said:
You have to grow older, but you don’t have to grow up.

too pricey for a discontinued close out

Is the recording format compatable with all TV/DVD players? Meaning, can I burn onto a DVD and watch through any DVD player or only though a computer?

A bit like buying the last Yugo that was imported.

These are great. Too bad Cisco is discontinuing them.

The flip is perfect! (for an 11 year old girl)
The features are awesome! (VS a Commodore 64)
The video quality is great! (better than nothing)

I don’t want it, I don’t need it, and I want the thirty seconds of my life back that I spent looking at it. On second thought… I don’t want them back, I’d probably just waste them anyway. Sigh… oh well, off to work to sit in my cubicle for 8 hours! Flip you, Woot!

Bought a Flip back in 2008 (a Woot). LOVE IT!! Had a full size Sony video cam at the time. Sony is collecting dust in some closet in my house. The Flip, is in my pocket book at all times. Love the portability. The one I have is the 30 minute capacity and that has worked fine.

Who really needs or wants to see more than 5 continuous minutes of anything that is happening with my kids, pets or crazy neighbors who refuse to pull their bedroom blinds at night.

Budget won’t let me woot this today but I will be looking for it to resurface and grab one later. Don’t care that they are discontinuing. Have not had one problem with my 3 year old model. Would like to see the waterproof model!!