Flo by Moen 3/4" Smart Water Shutoff

Flo by Moen 3/4" Smart Water Shutoff

1 Like

Anyone have any thoughts on this, especially for a new home owner?

1 Like

Having the ability to remotely shut off water in the house would be great if you work on your plumbing all the time, or the household cutoff is located in a hard to reach spot. But it appears the best part of this device is it’s ability to alert you to unseen leaks in the household plumbing and to give you data as to the extent of those leaks. Most of us would just notice that the water bill seemed a little high.

Is it necessary for a new house? Depends. If you like high tech living where you enjoy monitoring all aspects of your day to day living, then sure. It would check the box for water monitoring, but check first with your water company. They may already provide you with some of the same data since many meters are now automated, and all you have to do is log in and look at it.

If it’s a condo and it has faulty incoming water lines, say due to poor insulation, this won’t help at all. If the pipes break, they’ll be breaking and flooding your unit before they ever get to this cutoff.

In the same vein, if you know you have small leaks, and you’re out of the house a lot, then shutting the water off remotely when you leave may eventually save you 100s of gallons of water and reduce your water bill.

1 Like

You are betting that they (Moen) continue to support this device for more than a few years. Anything that requires an app should not be involved with your water supply… Just my 2 cents.

10 Likes

Another solution looking for a problem !
Good grief, what next ?
‘You can download our app and use your computer, er, phone to verify that your car isn’t parked up side down in the middle of the street’
If you’re a home owner and DON’t know where your shutoff valve, you might want to consider learning its location. You know, just in case !
If this thing operates the way I suspect, all it is is a pressure sensor. If you have a dripping faucet, it’s going to tell you that you have a leak and, in a sense, it is correct.
I do not believe It can tell you WHERE the leak is however, so …
As for the ‘one drop per minute’, I have doubts about that too !
Sorry, just another EXPENSIVE toy ( the price on this thing is anywhere
from $99 to $499 !! - $483 on the mother ship, hmmmmmm) to try and keep you even more glued to your ‘phone’, you know, ‘just in case’ you get a message or an email or something from, um, somebody, somewhere or a reminder that the
GIANT-MEGA-CONSOLIDATED-AMALGAMATED Corporation really REALLY wants
you to take that CEO position they have open !!
I have no interest financial or otherwise with Moen but I have bought some of their plumbing fixtures and always been very satisfied with them.

3 Likes

+1
Most definitely. Water is essential. Leak detection with a simple alarm around water heaters or washing machines, where failures occur, is worth it. But this? The support question is key; after all, these people make plumbing fixtures; I wouldn’t rely upon them to develop/support good software.

2 Likes

Don’t forget about ongoing fees for full functionality

4 Likes

I saw nothing in their specs indicating there were any charges for usage of the app or that there was any restrictions without payment.

Indeed. They could have created a device with an open standard protocol like MQTT or just provided the owner with a full spec. Instead, they want to fully milk you on their ‘support’ for such a basic function. Even if you chose the ‘basic’ service which is free, there is no guarantee that the app will be fully supported for years to come.

3 Likes

We had a pipe burst during the hard freeze here in Texas. We caught it a few hours later after we returned, but by then thousands of dollars of damage had been done to our laminate floors. Wish I had this back then.

2 Likes

“Who is Moe N. and why does she have flow?”

Uh…ask your mother…

1 Like

Only a 90 day Woot warranty?

1 Like

I purchased this product at the time that they were a startup and before the Moen company bought. This is one of the BEST products for my home that I have ever bought. Think of this as “insurance”. If you have an undetected leak in your home when you are not available to take action and shut off your water, you could suffer losses in excess of $50,000; ask anybody who has had to call a water restoration company. The device uses artificial intelligence to understand how you use water and when something abnormal is detected it alerts you on the app and takes action if necessary on it’s own. This is the smartest home purchase you will ever make…/Ray in San Diego :sunglasses::palm_tree::parasol_on_ground::sunglasses:

2 Likes

I installed an automatic water shutoff with leak alarms after a basement flood. Insurance covered most of the flood repairs , but it was a huge PITA. Mine is made by Floodstop. It was around $150 , but it doesn’t have an intelligent remote. It has a wired control panel and wired sensors. I think they have a wireless version. Wireless is easier to install, but costs more too. My system has alerted me to two minor leaks before they became big problems. I recommend it to every homeowner.

2 Likes

It’s in the Description section (and the last image):

• FLOPROTECT PLAN UPGRADE: Get even more out of your Smart Water Shutoff with FloProtect, a supplemental security and service plan that includes a We-Pay $5,000 Deductible Guarantee, 5-year Extended Warranty, and LIVE Smart Water Assistant

It appears to be $5 per month, but is optional.

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s the case, any longer. They do have an optional subscription called FloConnect, which is basically an insurance policy and extended warranty.

From the FAQ (FAQ – Flo by Moen):

Is there a monthly fee?

Nope! As of August 17th, 2020, we’ve discontinued the monthly subscription needed to unlock advanced data features. All features and data are now freely available to all Shutoff users.

2 Likes

That’s good. Have you used it at all. how well dose it work without any network connections. Its a lot of money for a Zone valve with a DP sensor on it that they could just turn the servers off one day.