Fractions are Hard

Acraigl! Math Wiz!

Nice job!!!

There is something improper about this design.

So un-Woot!-like to offer shirts that have been all over the internet for years.

Another first place for Acraigl. Huzzah!

To quote the Woot website, “if you like a looser fit, order one size up from your usual size.”
They say this because Woot’s shirts run small, so in order to properly understand the shirt you have to go a size up.
The next common denominator would be 8, which happens to be 2 times more than 4 (8 divided by 4 equals 2).
So to balance the equation we have to also give 2 to the 5 which would make it 7 (5 plus 2 equals 7).
So after we go one size up the shirt would say “7 out of 10 people have trouble with fractions.” Which equates to the decimal equivalent of 0.7 or 70%.
And the point being, I am a part of the 30% (+/- 4%) of people who understands fractions.

math after midnight? no.

Disappointed to see a non-unique design :confused: I bought a shirt that says this word for word something like ten years ago and have seen myriads since then.

“She’s a witch” logic?

Probably not unique but still funny.

I swear I saw a shirt on woot! quite a while ago that said:

“I could agree with you, but then we’d both be wrong.”

Was it pulled because of copyright issues?

I don’t get it!

This design is from the derby which is purely based on community votes. If you wanna influence what we print you too can vote in the derby!

1 and quarter people have a problem with fractions, yeah that sounds about right.

Umm. Sorry, but if the math problem you are suggesting is incomprehensible to me. Assuming that was the point, I take issue with you adding the 2 to the 5 to make 7; you should have multiplied not added, so 5 x 2 = 10 and the final phrase would be 10 out of 8 people have trouble with fractions–which of course does nothing to change the percentage–we have only rephrased the original statement. I believe the equation you are suggesting would be : 5/4 + 1= ? So 5/4 + 4/4 = 9/4 or 9 out of 4 people understand fractions.

I am not very good at math, so please correct me if I error or am taking this too literally–I tend to do that. :slight_smile:

Wow! I’m 125% blown away this won. Thanks for the votes!!!

Congrats!

It just seems that the answer from the Shirt.Woot FAQs needs updating if this wins. I love this shirt, I bought one when I was in Middle School (10 years ago) and still like the humor today! Not bashing the win, but I do think the rules should be updated to fit.

“Will Shirt.Woot really produce and sell the design that gets the most votes in a given week?
Generally, yes. Unless:
We determine that the design contains elements created and/or owned by someone other than the designer or Woot”

I think the “or” should be taken out of the guidelines.

The guidelines are good, they just need to be enforced.

“5/4ths of all people” would be the only difference I would make.

Unless it was 5 out of 4 people have trouble with word problems.