Free Mobile Phone Service From FreedomPop

Hi All and Happy Birthday Woot! So stoked that Woot is doing another deal for our Freedom Phones!

It seems that a lot of Woot-ers were happy that we posted our FAQs in the last forum discussion, so here they are again. As always, feel free to let us know if you have any questions. You can PM us too!

1. What’s the coverage or network do these phones work on?
The EVO 4G & Galaxy S II connect to Sprint’s 3G and 4G WiMax networks. You can check out coverage by going to www.freedompop.com/retail/coverage. The iPhone connects to Sprint’s 3G and LTE networks. Check coverage at www.freedompop.com/coverage3g4g (Be sure to toggle the 3G and LTE only boxes)

2. What’s FREE?
You purchase the phone, and then you can take advantage of Free Phone service. Our Free plan consists of 200 Minutes, 500 Texts, and 500MB every month

3. I just got my phone from Woot. Now what?
Go to Activate | FreedomPop in order to activate your phone! Here you will set up your FreedomPop account and choose your phone number!

4. Can I port my existing number over to FreedomPop?
Yes! You can port your number during the activation process. Alternatively, you can use the new FreedomPop phone number for the first couple months and then port your number over later. Your call!

5. What about WiMAX being discontinued?
Sprint has announced that WiMax will be phased out at the end of 2015. Even after WiMax shuts down 17 months from now, you will still be able to use the EVO 4G or Galaxy S II when connected on 3G or WiFi. This issue won’t affect the iPhone 5 since it connects to 3G & LTE.
We also hope that if you do try us out and are happy using our services that you’ll join us in our LTE upgrade program, currently available for all existing subscribers.

6. Do you still an $0.99 inactivity fee?
A thing of the past. We waived this fee altogether for new users starting a year ago and will eventually for everyone.

7. What’s up with the reviews and customer service issues?
We’ve received a lot of criticism over the the past year stemming from our initial wireless hotspot policies. We’re a startup company attempting to disrupt the wireless telecommunications industry by competing against the big guys with billion $$ marketing budgets and nearly unlimited resources. Everyone has an opinion, good or bad. Major publications who’ve reviewed our product including Forbes, PC Mag, Top Ten Reviews, Clark Howard, and TUAW who have been impressed with our service and respect our efforts of making free internet accessible to everyone.
The good news is we’ve listened to these criticisms and updated our policies as a result. We’ve definitely made a lot of changes since our initial launch to improve our service, but if you have any other specific questions, feel free to ask. We do have an A- BBB rating and a AAA BCA rating. Feel free to check them out here.
We’ve also beefed up our customer service team considerably over the last year. We encourage you to come to FreedomPop HQ anytime to meet the team in person. Like any customer service team, we do experience times with high call volume, but you can always email us via support@freedompop.com or PM us during the course of this woot deal.

FreedomPop Reviews and Ratings[list]
[]FreedomPop ratings, reviews and complaints - Internet Services - Los Angeles, CA
[
]http://www.freedompop.com/freedompop-review
[]FreedomPop | Better Business Bureau® Profile
[
]http://mobile-broadband-services-review.toptenreviews.com/freedompop-review.html (You don’t have to pay for customer support)
[]http://www.tuaw.com/2014/01/23/a-year-with-freedompop-how-did-it-go/
[
]Clark.com - Advice You Can Trust From Clark Howard and Team Clark
[*]Data For Nothing, Calls For Free: How FreedomPop Will Offer Free Phone Service
[/list]

If you could verify the exact Apple part number, I would appreciate it. I’m thinking of purchasing a development phone for writing iOS apps and also for testing iOS 8 when Apple releases it. I’m also interested if we can purchase AppleCare or SquareTrade extended warranties on the equipment, or if you have your own program.

thanks for taking our questions this time and during the last sale.

I’m already on sprint not so great network, is it possible to pay a fee (within reason) to bring my own iPhone 5 to the freedom pop network.

We checked 3 very common locations we live, work and vacation at. Service is not available. Useless for us.

The iPhone 5 model number is 1429. We offer our own extended Warranty and Woot offers the SquareTrade warranty as well.

We do have a BYOD program for Sprint phones (www.freedompop.com/byod).

Am I going to get a bunch of junk mail from you by providing my address? I would think just the zip code would suffice.

In order to set up an account, we would need an email address for login purposes. You can always unsubscribe from any emails you receive.

Is this summary correct for the iPhone 5 model, I’m wondering if I can use it in Japan (either via WiFi or KDDI cell network):

The CDMA version of model A1429 works on Sprint’s and Verizon’s LTE networks in the US, along with the KDDI network in Japan on bands 1, 3, 5, 13, and 25. The CDMA version also supports GSM bands, making the CDMA iPhone 5 compatible with GSM networks. However, the CDMA A1429 will not support LTE on GSM networks in the US.

Full specs from Apple:

CDMA model A1429: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5, 13, 25)

Actually I am referring to the bring your own device page… it asks for my zip code then a physical address.

It says my area is not supported, but when I look at the coverage map our house is right on the line of 4G LTE coverage. I know people that get sprint coverage here so should we be fine then?

I’ve been using Freedompop’s wifi service since I brought a couple on Woot–last year maybe? Anyway, you will not get any junk mail or spam from freedompop. In fact, I am still miffed that they did NOT email me a notification when the freedom phone first came out. I was supposed to be on their notification list but had to find out on my own.

Finally getting mine from the last round activated. Will attempt the service.
The website says MAC address or EIN for registration, but the Galaxy SII actually needs HEX address.

EDIT: Service ISSUES :: System created account for me with HEX code (and let me assign phone #,) but will not recognize my email address in system to activate device.

So what are the prices if you go over your limits?

Can you tell me if these phones would work in Prescott or Flagstaff, AZ? On one map it looks like they would, but another part of the website said they were not yet available in our area.

Hi there,

What do the taxes and fees look like?

Example
Free plan + voicemail $2.49 + taxes & fees = ?

Unlimited plan $19.99 + v-mail $2.49 + taxes & fees = ?

Thank you.

That’s the first thing that popped into my head. Why isn’t this addressed ANYWHERE…? I’m already distrustful of this deal.

All I could find in reference to overage charges was on Gizmodo. $1 per meg, $10 per Gig for data overages. I wish I could find this on the freedompop site.

For what it’s worth… I don’t advise Freedompop. There really wasn’t any part of the service I was happy with.

First, I ordered the phone in November. I didn’t actually get it until almost February. So don’t cancel your existing plan until you have theirs in hand.

Second, it was the worst call quality ever. I tried every tip and trick they had to offer. It was so bad that my family didn’t even recognize my voice, let alone what I was saying.

Third, I was surprised to see they had no MMS service. No texting images, but also no multiple recipients. Incoming and outgoing. A few times I missed a “Hey everyone we’re going to the bar for happy hour” texts. Makes you seem real anti-social to just not respond or show up.

With all due respect, the “We are a small start-up” line you read here? You’ll hear that every time there is an issue. It’s the default cop-out for a bad customer experience.

It’s just not worth it, in my opinion.