Free Mobile Phone Service From FreedomPop

Thank you. I was already leary about the amount of non-information being provided here. I would NOT like to be without my MMS or my group messages, for the very same reasons you specified. The people who actually like this plan must be real technophobes. -Shame- on you, Woot, for trying to sell us some fly-by-night phone plan.

I’m happy I could help. I’m not a malcontent person. I actually went BACK to Verizon despite me not liking them very much because they are delivering a service I am paying for. With FreedomPop, they’re happy to take my money, but quick to throw out “We are in a Beta Test” anytime they don’t live up to their commitment.

I gave FreedomPop until May before I just couldn’t deal anymore.

I cracked the screen on my phone. My mistake, 100% on me. Trying to get another phone was impossible.

There are no links anywhere on my account page for getting a new device. The ‘help’ pages are woefully thin.

Finally I took to emailing them. Stating I’d be glad to pay for a repair or upgrade if they could just tell me where to do it.

The response I had back was to give them my phone number (which at this point didn’t work, cause I broke it. And even if it did the call quality made communication impossible anyway even on wifi) and a day and date someone could call me.

I just drove to the store and bought a Moto G on pre-paid. And it’s been fantastic since. Same price as the HTC I had with Freedom Pop and a similar phone plan.

I am paying $20 more a month. I’ll grant them their pricing model is actually fantastic, and you can legit have some basic service for like $7 a month. But a phone you can’t talk over is really really inconvenient and anytime anything goes wrong, it feels like you just get lip service.

The iPhone uses Sprint’s LTE network. If you have friends who get Sprint LTE coverage at your home, then you should be fine as well.

Please PM me the MEID/ESN of your phone and email address you’re trying to use.

Extra data for the phone will cost $0.02 per MB. Each additional text and voice minute costs $0.01.

There’s only 3G coverage in Prescott and Flagstaff. The phones will be able to make calls/texts when connected to the 3G network or to a local WiFi network.

Questions on tax for the monthly plan depends entirely on your state in which you resdie, though most don’t have any taxes on the monthly plan. I’m in California, and I know that if I’m only signed up for the Free plan + voicemail, then I only pay the $2.49 each month (no tax). Offhand, I know Wisconsin and Hawaii do have tax.

Hello, FreedomPOP guy (at least I hope you’re still listening)!

I’m a long-time ATT subscriber for over 2 decades (so yeah, flame me for being so stupid!) for myself and the adults in my family, and have unhappily played with some low-end pay-as-you-go services for my sons over the years. Four of 'em. Yup, that’s a lot of cell phone service. Anyway, in the last year, one is trying Republic Wireless on a Moto-X & is pretty happy. A nice, but pricey phone, but with pretty good coverage in suburban St. Louis, Missouri & even in the rural areas of the state.

My “little guys” (4th & 6th graders) are to the point where mobile phone access is a good idea, but these two have a history of destructiveness with electronic devices. Read that: They’re not going to get top-of-the-line-stuff. They collectively destroyed 2 tablets (each) within 6 weeks of getting them about a year and a half ago. Fortunately, they were cheap (& obtained here on Woot) and I’m hoping that they might be mature enough to use mobile phones, although I still have reservations. Also, limiting network access is a great idea for these two (less potential damage from unintentional dialing, say to Zimbabwe or wherever), but call quality is important, too. Sometimes they’re hard enough to understand even if they’re standing right next to you, let alone on a cell-to-cell call.

I understand the HTC EVO 4G (I just bought 3 of 'em with your sale last week… They arrived here PROMPTLY, are bare-bones with only the phone & charger, but look clean and unused despite being refurbs and look great… THANKS!) uses a proprietary VOIP app when making a cell call. This sounds fine as long as WiMAX service is available, but I suspect is pretty useless when 3G fallback occurs, which I suspect would occur not at all infrequently around here. Is this true with your LTE products as well? (I bought an iPhone 5 for my eldest son, who IS responsible & we’ll be trialing it over the next few weeks before cancelling his ATT service, hopefully).

I’m also looking at your Samsung Victory 4G LTE off-Woot, too. About double the EVO 4G price, but the wireless architecture looks different.

Thanks!

Is this phone unlocked? If not, can FreedomPop unlock it for free?

Speed on the unlimited data plan is reduced to one tenth speed after the first gigabyte.

Question:Can I buy an unlocked phone and use it with Freedom Pop?

I really want to give this a try, but I really want a Galaxy S5. Also, if I use this service, is it possible to be charged more than the unlimited price? If I have unlimited talk and text for example, and I use 2gb of data will it cost more than $19.99? Or if I’m using the free service, and use so many texts or minutes that it would equal more than $19.99 would I be charged for unlimited instead?

I had same problem. Uncheck the TWO 4G boxes but leave 3G check and then I was covered which seemed fair for free. Hell I have ATT and I cannot get any service inside my own home. I live in Bay Area CA next to Berkeley.

Is this one of those “we lose money on each phone, but we make up each loss through volume”, old joke in accounting. People PC CEO actually said that on CNBC! Back in 1998. I loved the deal but they went out of biz of course.

HOW DO THEY MAKE THEIR MONEY?

Still here! All of our phones make calls/texts through our VoIP messaging app, so you’ll need a data connection. It doesn’t matter if it’s through WiFi, 4G WiMax (or 4G LTE for the LTE phones), or 3G.

Yup! We allow specific models of Sprint phones to be activated through our BYOD program.

The GS5 isn’t compatible with our service at this time. If you used more minutes, texts, or data that your plan allotted, then you would be charged for the extra amount rather than being automatically upgraded to the higher plan.

Of course we’d like for all users to be on one of the paid plans, but a large percentage of our user-base remains on our 100% free plans. But the fact that we can stay in business + grow while having such low prices only proves how much other carriers are taking advantage of consumers! :wink:

I bought the phone and the service you can’t downgrade the voice plan. They give the unlimited voice plan but you can’t downgrade to the free one and there is no obvious way to do it.

Downgrading can indeed be performed directly on your account page. Please PM me the email address associated with your account & I’ll help you out.