Freedom Phone Samsung Galaxy S4

Hi Woot! So glad to be back here to present another deal for our Free Phone Service with a selection of Android phones. If you have any questions about FreedomPop, I’ve included our top FAQs below (along with a link to a more expanded set). I’ll also be around to answer any questions in this thread or through PM!

** 1. Is FreedomPop really free?**
Yes, by activating on the 100% free, you’ll be able to get 200 minutes, 500 texts, and 500MB of data for free each and every month. Just buy the phone and you’ll never have to pay another phone bill again. Upgrading to unlimited talk & text is only $10.99/month.

** 2. What network does FreedomPop use? **
FreedomPop uses Sprint’s 4G LTE and 3G networks. Calls and texts are made through FreedomPop’s VoIP messaging app, so you must have a data connection in order to send/receive calls and texts. Go to www.freedompop.com/coverage3g4g to view the full coverage. As a way to save your free data allotment, you can also connect to any local WiFi network, such as the one in your home or work.

** 3. What do I do after receiving my phone? **
After you get your FreedomPop phone, please go to www.freedompop.com/activate. Enter in the MEID of your phone, along with your desired email address to be associated with your FreedomPop account. Follow the steps to get fully activated. You will select your FreedomPop phone number during the activation process.

To see an even more expanded FAQs, please check out this page of the FreedomPop Community Forum! Hope everyone has a great day!

I bought the Samsung Galaxy SIII (S3) last time. I’m actually fairly happy with it.

I’m using it as a spare backup phone. I leave it in my car in the center console armrest cubbie. It’s always plugged into an always-on USB port, so battery isn’t a concern. I could also use it to track my car if someone jacks it.

So far the “free” part has remained free with no hidden charges. It’s a VERY basic plan, and everything more has charges, but that’s okay in my book.

Yes, it’s so cheap because it’s data only. As far as I can tell, even the texts and voice go through the data part of the signal. So if your speeds are poor, your call quality is also poor. Think of this as a glorified Skype phone. Again, that’s fine for me.

Conclusion: it’s great for a backup phone, a kid, or someone on a SEVERE budget.

I got this phone and service for my wife some months ago. She wanted it for audio books, but never tried it for that.

She only tried to use it a couple of times and never got it to make a call. We are in a totally green area on their map. I even shelled out an extra 3.99 so she could use the 3G part of the system.

The last time she tried to use it, the car was not starting and she wanted to call AAA to get the car towed to KIA. Car finally started and she came home and slammed the phone face down on our new silagranite counter top. It looks fine but does not work, I cancelled the service.

Sorry I should have posted this on the Galaxy S III.

I’ve purchased both the Nexus 5 and the LG G2 from Freedom Pop. The Nexus 5 looked brand new, the LG G2 looked OK, screen was perfect but back was a little scratched (including camera lens) using Novus products I was able to take most of the scratches off of the Camera lens. There is an update that keeps draining data on The Nexus 5 (that won’t go through). If you want to manually install a new ROM (off of the forums), that’s a workaround that I have not committed to yet. The LG G2 updated fine.

I have been lucky with service/reception- I live in Fort Wayne, IN and the signal is decent. Unfortunately, there are customers that do live in areas that are “covered” but do NOT have good service- so it’s kind of a gamble.

The call quality is not all that great, it’s kind of like 1st generation VOIP over a cell signal. Apparently if you do google hangouts, it’s better- my kids have not tried that yet (most of the time they’re texting). On the free program the MMS is a little weird. I can’t send a picture (in text) to a Freedompop phone, but they can send me one (but it comes as a link, not the picture itself). I guess I could email the person the picture as a workaround.

Look- the service is free. If your area supports it, this is a great phone to have as a backup, for kids, or if you’re on a tight budget. It’s NOT perfect…BUT IT’S FREE and it works decently in certain areas. I bought one for each of my 2 kids (9 and 10) and they love them.

My recommendation would be the Samsung S4 at $110 would be the most tech for the $$. The Samsung S4 still has a decent quad core processor, the same resolution as the S5, a really good camera. Another thing to consider is that Freedompop does not load your phone with the bloatware you get from Verizon/Sprint/ATT. So an older model like the S4 will perform reasonably well.

See this comparison between the S4 and S5. The very slight advantage the S5 has over the S4 is not worth the extra $130 by any means!

Are these phones unlocked? Would I be able to put in a local SIM card and use in another country?

And could you use the phone on (gasp) another cell network? It’s a good price for the phone, even if it is refurbed.

You won’t be able to pop in your own SIM Card and use these phones on a GSM carrier. They can only be activated on FreedomPop or other Sprint MVNOs.

So, if I needed a replacement phone for my existing Sprint account, these would work?

What about the Note II on offer above? Is tech/$ about the same as the S4 or worse? I’ve always been intrigued by the Note but not good at quickly evaluating tech specs anymore. :frowning:

That’s what I was wondering too…I think I’ll take a flyer on one of these, with the idea that I’ll reactivate my credo account (on the sprint network) if I don’t like freedom pop’s service. Worst case, I could hopefully use it as a mini tablet if all else fails. These are better prices than you generally see around for signing up with a new carrier these days.

So I got the phone yesterday, a day earlier than expected so that was nice. Tried activating FreedomPop’s ‘free’ service. There is a screen that FORCES you to provide your credit card info to activate, even if you only want to use the ‘free’ service. It charges you a penny for this. For some reason, in the fine print, it also says it will charge you $7.99/month for this privilege.

Additionally, there are a lot of things you have to deselect and uncheck if you want the free service. I emailed them about this because even a penny means it’s NOT free and I’m uncomfortable giving this company my credit card info. It says it will get me a reply in 48-72 hours. I’m definitely not giving a company my credit card info if they are this unwilling to even communicate with me.

Anyway, just wanted to post this for future potential customers of this company. It was even more scammy than I expected and I’m just hoping I can use the phone for Credo (via the Sprint network) if things don’t work out with FreedomPop.