FreedomPop LG G3

Hello Woot! Big thanks to the mods for allowing to be back with a fresh set of Android phones bundled with our 100% free phone service. I’ve add our top FAQs below (along with a link to a more expanded set). I’ll also be around to answer any questions in this thread or through PM!

** 1. Is FreedomPop really free?**
Yes, by activating on the 100% free, you’ll be able to get 200 minutes, 500 texts, and 500MB of data for free each and every month. Just buy the phone and you’ll never have to pay another phone bill again. Upgrading to unlimited talk & text is only $10.99/month.

** 2. What network does FreedomPop use? **
FreedomPop uses Sprint’s 4G LTE and 3G networks. Calls and texts are made through FreedomPop’s VoIP messaging app, so you must have a data connection in order to send/receive calls and texts. Go to www.freedompop.com/coverage3g4g to view the full coverage. As a way to save your free data allotment, you can also connect to any local WiFi network, such as the one in your home or work.

** 3. What do I do after receiving my phone? **
After you get your FreedomPop phone, please go to www.freedompop.com/activate. Enter in the MEID of your phone, along with your desired email address to be associated with your FreedomPop account. Follow the steps to get fully activated. You will select your FreedomPop phone number during the activation process.

To see an even more expanded FAQs, please check out this page of the FreedomPop Community Forum! Hope everyone has a great day!

Can’t really comment about the service; I tried twice to purchase a refurb phone from FreedomPop. The first time I got a Nexus 5 (from Woot) it arrived without a SIM card, and I got the runaround from FreedomPop’s support.
The second time I bought a Galaxy S3 refurb from Groupon and it was defective (it would power on and then randomly reboot after a few minutes) so back it went.
Bottom line, quality control on FreedomPop’s refurbs seems to be very seriously lacking.

I remember PM’ing you about trying to get you a replacement SIM. Very sorry it did not work out last time. Please let me know if you wish to give us another shot.

Buy at your own risk. I ordered a LG volt last time Woot had these on. It arrived inoperative and looked like a dogs chew toy. I had holy heck getting this taken care of. Getting in contact with Freedompop was a painful experience. Woot finally made it right so kudos for Woot.

I ordered a Samsung Galaxy S4 on this deal a week or so before Thanksgiving. Thankfully it does seem to work so far (knock on wood.) But I was displeased to learn that to use this ‘free’ phone service, you have no choice but to give them your credit card info and pay one cent to activate the phone.

That’s not that surprising though and I think easier to swallow if you know in advance or if they are up front about it. They also sign you up for the $20 a month level for free the first month, but you can downgrade before the month is up. I am planning to do that.

I am highly suspicious they will charge me for something against my intentions and then be very difficult about refunding me. When I emailed them a question, it took them a week to respond but then they replied within a day each time I replied. I also googled their phone number and got through last Tuesday in late afternoon fairly quickly and the rep was very helpful and straightforward.

To keep my data usage low, I have been keeping my mobile data switched off and using wifi at home, at work, at friend’s houses, bars/cafes I frequent, etc. It has worked okay the 2 or 3 times I’ve turned it on. I’ve placed a couple of phone calls using FreedomPop and unfortunately it doesn’t work everywhere that I used to have a clear signal on the Sprint network. The calls also were not that clear. But in essence they did work. I’m gonna stick it out for now, but to me FreedomPop is ‘on notice’. I would only purchase with caution. Everything about it seems pretty scammy but I’m hoping I turn out to be wrong about that, and if it goes well I’ll recommend them to everybody.

Very sorry the phone did not work for you last time. Our phones do have a 90-day warranty. You can PM me here or call us at 888-743-8107.

All FreedomPop accounts do require a valid credit card to be on file. If there are every any billing issues on your account, please PM me here and I’ll be sure help resolve it for you.

Yeah, I bought 2 the first time around (a long time ago) neither would join their network and they actually told me that the phones I was sold were not meant for their system. No replacement, no refund, nada… Fast forward a few months and I tried again with the cheapest one they sold that time around. Guess what, (my account was already registered to the phone(s) that didn’t work). So I have one FP phone I have yet to try, going to get a new email address, used a new CC, and see if it works this time… if not, I’ll go apepoop on your company and make sure no one ever buys one again.

I’ve always chime in how I like my S4 I bought from Freedom around 5 months ago. I have run into an issue though, ever since I got it, the android os downloads an android update, which fails…long story, it’s rooted, etc. Basically you just ignore the notification that the update is ready. I recently decided to give it a try again, it had been awhile, and it failed, went to Teamwin, rebooted, back to normal. When it fails, it will eventually download the update again, and you guessed it, it did so using my mobile data! So I have zero data, and decide to try earning data by doing some of the ‘offers’ they have, and over a couple of days had 175megs built up. But I can’t use it, my account shows I have 175 megs, but the bar graph below that is still red. I have 200 minutes of talk left, but that doesn’t work either if you have no data, even though it’s separate from your data allotment. Oh well, 6 more days and I should get my data back on the next period. Overall I’m still happy, it works great with Hangouts, but this shows you what you might have to deal with.

I have purchased three Freedom Pop phones all from Woot and have not had a problem with any of them.

Does FreedomPop use T-Mobile towers? My city in the Midwest has very poor coverage (no 4G) for T-Mobile and Verizon. AT&T is the only carrier that has good signal.

Don’t do it… Got a freedompop phone on the last woot offer… Phone’s battery wont hold a charge their customer service after I finally got some simply suggest I buy another battery… Phone still didn’t work with the new battery, contacted them multiple times and the customer service was complete garbage often they would say send me your account name or info I would do it and they never got back to me… Woot’s service was just as bad I contacted them and never heard back from them. Avoid this deal like the plague.

Be forewarned… I haven’t bought one myself but the comments about FreedomPop sales on woot! are often replete with dissatisfied customers. And it also makes me wonder why FreedomPop has to so aggressively monitor and participate in the forum section.

It is stated that the LG G3 is upgradeable to Lollipop. Who does this upgrade - Sprint or Freedom Pop and how is it done?

Please PM me if you need any assistance in setting up your account. I can arrange to have a Phone Agent call you directly to make sure it gets activated properly.

Please keep me posted on how this works out. For the next 6 days, you should be able to use the phone over WiFi. If you PM me your account information, I’ll take a look for you.

FreedomPop uses Sprint’s 4G LTE and 3G networks. You can also connect via your local WiFi network (such as the one in your home, work, or local coffee shop).

You can PM me here and I can try to help out. Our phones have a 90-day warranty if they don’t work properly.

The upgrade would be done directly on your phone after it’s in your possession. You would go into “System Updates” in the Settings section of your phone (make sure that you’re connected to WiFi first).

I was tempted by the product listing, but I’m not going to bite after reading my fellow wooters’ woes.

Been told by FreedomPop support that each phone/device requires a new email account so you can’t use old account you have with them.

Also contacting them to downgrade/cancel is next to impossible.

Sprint coverage is a joke and voice quality is horrible.

Each phone would need to be under it’s own email address. However, you would be able to add this phone to an existing account (if you wish to replace the previous phone).

If you need support, one can always check out our Community Forum (https://forums.freedompop.com/) or call us at 888-743-8107.

i guess you get what you pay for… free service with anything but give away quality would be a surprise. I’ve almost bitten a time or two on this offer over the last 4 or 5 times, but the recent reviews don’t seem in their favor. i don’t have anything but a land line now and this doesn’t seem like a suitable replacement.

i guess you get what you pay for… free service with anything but give away quality would be a surprise. I’ve almost bitten a time or two on this offer over the last 4 or 5 times, but the recent reviews don’t seem in their favor. i don’t have anything but a land line now and this doesn’t seem like a suitable replacement.