FreedomPop LG G3

Hi all! So great to be back on Woot with some top smartphones that come with our 100% free phone service. Please see below for the top FAQs (plus with a link to a more expanded set). I’ll also be here to answer any questions in this thread or through PM!

** 1. Is FreedomPop really free?**
Yes, by activating on the 100% free plan, you’ll be able to get 200 minutes, 500 texts, and 500MB of data for free each and every month. Just buy the phone and you’ll never have to pay another phone bill again. Upgrading to unlimited talk & text is only $10.99/month.

** 2. What network does FreedomPop use? **
FreedomPop uses Sprint’s 4G LTE and 3G networks. Calls and texts are made through FreedomPop’s VoIP messaging app, so you must have a data connection in order to send/receive calls and texts. Go to www.freedompop.com/coverage3g4g to view the full coverage. As a way to save your free data allotment, you can also connect to any local WiFi network, such as the one in your home or work.

** 3. Are there any special add-on services that I can get? **
One of our top value-added services is Premium Voice. If Premium Voice is active on your account, then your phone calls will be redirected through Sprint’s Voice Network, rather than going through VoIP. Adding Premium Voice costs $3.99/month.

** 4. What do I do after receiving my phone? **
After you get your FreedomPop phone, please go to www.freedompop.com/activate. Enter in the MEID of your phone, along with your desired email address to be associated with your FreedomPop account. Follow the steps to get fully activated. You will select your FreedomPop phone number during the activation process.

To see an even more expanded FAQs, please check out this page of the FreedomPop Community Forum! Hope everyone has a great day!

I dont see a 10.99 plan just a 19.99 and a yearly plan for 79.99

You weren’t supposed to read the details until after you bought it!

Is these phones use sim card and will they work in Canada

I have an iPhone 5s from Freedom Pop and it works fine… except for when it doesn’t. Even with the $3.99 plan that routes it through Sprint, incoming calls almost always get cut off. Their tech support is also awful. On the other hand, if you want a decent phone, and can live with the service you get, it is not a bad deal.

terrible evil company. stay away.

The Unlimited talk, text, & 500MB plan is $10.99/month, while the unlimited talk, text, & 1GB plan is $19.99/month.

You can switch plans at any time in your account page or by contacting the Support team.

No SIM Cards. It won’t work in Canada unless you’re connected to a WiFi network there.

Please feel free to PM me if there are any lingering issues on your account that you’d like assistance with.

BUYER BEWARE - this is a LIE /SCAM!!!
I purchased 3 of the Samsung phones, 1 had the, so called, “Free” service, 1 the $10.99 plan (which I had to call customer service to get them to give to me) and 1 had the $19.99 “unlimited” plan(this one NEVER worked).
The phones are not the problem, the SCAM “service” is. Be aware that if you don’t have WiFi, your phone will not work! Any phone works over wifi for free provided you have an app for it.
With my “free service” phone, I had issues with calls because the connection was so bad the people sounded like machines and it would cut off, which meant, calling the person back. Considering you only have a certain amount of calls per month, you end up using “the service” up in no time just trying to complete each phone call. The “$10.99” plan, should be called: “Service Begins With You Paying $10.99”. I used this phone very little, as in, 5 - 10 calls max per day (again, connection issues) with 15 - 25 texts per day and by the 20th day, they attempted to charge me an ADDITIONAL $15 per megabyte (1000 megabytes = 1 gigabyte) and I hadn’t even used the web! Called customer service, which is a joke trying to get through (always a red flag), and they told me that, even though, it’s called unlimited talk and text with a bit of data, IT USES DATA FOR THOSE CALLS AND TEXTS!!! Something they didn’t mention as I was setting it up.
By the way, HUGE RED FLAG, I had to ask the customer rep to escalate my call to a manager because they would not talk to me until I gave them my credit card number
And, last but not least, the “$19.99 Unlimited Text, Talk & Data plan”, NEVER worked. I set it up at the exact same time as the other and it never worked. Every call we would try to make, every text and data would give us an error code saying that the phone needed to be activated and set up. I called FreedomPop but they couldn’t help me nor would refund my money nor could tell me how to fix it. Approximately $200 lesson for me and, hopefully, I could help you learn this lesson without you having to pay.
I took my phones to get them looked at because I couldn’t unlock them myself and was told that they are unlocked for OUTSIDE of the US but they have an installation through Sprint which doesn’t allow AT&T, Verizon nor T-Mobile (those were the ones we tried) usage.
THIS IS A SCAM/LIE!!!

Blessings!

BUYER BEWARE:

READ COMMENTS BEFORE BUYING!

Additionally, FreedomPop locks their phones to their service, and installs a custom image which prevents you from rooting your phone to install a standard, off-the-shelf Android image to your phone. . .

I got this LG G3 from FreedomPop via Woot for my wife last time they had it for sale.

It’s a great phone, amazing looking screen, good sound. It was simplicity to activate. I had her on the free plan for the first month but she was close to running out of texts so I added the $20 monthly unlimited phone and text plan. I also added the premium calling feature. (Beware, premium calls are outgoing only! The person who commented that received calls drop - those are not premium voice calls! Call the person back and you’ll be fine.)

I have three FP phones, two Samsung and one LG. I have been super happy with the service so far, almost 2 years now. The Samsung phones are both on the free plan, I don’t pay a dime for those monthly.

Depends which phone you get. My Samsung S4 had a FP image on it but I upgraded the OS to a Sprint image. My Samsung S6 came with a Sprint image on it, not locked at all.

I wouldn’t make purchasing decisions based on advice from someone named “who farted.”

I will admit that using FreedomPop is probably not as easy as Verizon or AT&T. There is a learning curve. But once you figure out how to do it, free good monthly service is completely doable. (Hint: Google Hangouts is your friend.)

Yes, with Verizon it is simple, but everyone I know on Verizon pays about $150 per month. I pay a total around $25 for service for both my wife and myself. It’s a little more trouble, sure. But I enjoy it.

Probably a decent deal for the phones. But can’t receommend the service, even if its allged “free”. First and foremost the call quality just sucks as noted above. Second, I have mixed results with customer service. You will need to wait quite a while if you call, but to their credit some of my specific issues were resolved. However they have ongoing issues that just never get officially resolved. Specifically we got the Nexus 5. It wanted to upgrade to lollipop. It would download but couldn’t install due to FreedomPop’s custom ROM. But it would keep trying to download consuming a huge allotment of your “free” data and the cycle continues. And unless you give a credit card to “top off” your account your sevice will stop completely (including texting) when you are within a certain percentage of your free allowence.

Sorry can’t recommend FreedomPop for anyone who needs actual, reliable cell service until they address certain critical issues.

When “Free” is anything but free

I have never been able to make any phone calls with FreedomPop.

I had this service for two years and was never able to make even one working phone call. I always just got error codes. I even paid a small monthly fee for the two year service which was paid in advance (total costs/fees were about $300). I have made numerous calls, emails and even private messaging to support but to no avail. I have tried 3 different phones. I did get data for a while but that stopped too. I got the phone service on March 2014. Time spent trying to get this to work is money lost.

It was just too hard and difficult to get good service/help the first year, then the second year I got help, but still nothing worked. Even if I had chosen the free plan, this would NOT have been worth all the trouble I went through.

I finally went with Republic Wireless, WOW, what a difference for just a few more dollars. Definitely worth it.

I totally agree. Got a phone with them last year, and the phone was OK… but their service SUCKS big time. Incredibly frustrating, 90% of the calls just would not go through, it would not connect when trying to call, and it would not be able to receive a call either. A totally worthless, unreliable service.

So let me get this straight: the phone calls go through data?

Yes. So if you aren’t connected to wifi, they count against your data, and they generally always sound terrible. So if you make non-wifi calls, you are essentially getting double-billed, since calls count against your “calling plan” AND your data.

My advice: don’t bother. You will have problems, you will hate using your otherwise decent phone for voice calls, you will have a horrible time trying to get help form customer service, and you will NOT get a refund.

WOOT: Please terminate your apparent business agreement with freedom POP immediately, and stop passing this scam on to us. Nearly everyone who tries FreedomPOP vows never again to fall for this scam of a terrible company. Turning a blind eye to the utter garbage that is Freedom POP makes us skeptical of WOOT as a legitimate company, and turns us off, to the point of you losing customers and sullying the reputation of your other partners. Selling FreedomPOP “service” is as bad as mystery boxes full of junky iphone 4 silicone cases and terrible USB cables, and is extremely unbecoming of a legitimate company.

I’ve been using FreedomPop for a while now. I have the “free service” and use my phone mostly for email notification & texting (cell service doesn’t work where I live, no matter the carrier). I can no longer receive voice mails (they want me to PAY for that) nor can I receive pictures with text any longer (also a PAID feature) and I use my phone mostly at home now since I’m retired, so it’s hooked up to my wi-fi. I don’t see anywhere on their website that these services become a paid feature after so long. There are free apps that I can use for a workaround, but what a PITA. FreedomPop isn’t a company I’d ever recommend to anyone - even an enemy.