FreedomPop Phone LG G2

I recommend the FreedomPop Forums instead.

No, I don’t work for them, but I do participate in the forums quite a bit. I got some great help there and I like to help other people the same way. #nerd

The team is working on getting Premium Voice added for incoming calls.

The deal is back live again!

Sprint is shutting down the 4G WiMax network in a couple months. We are offering LTE upgrades for a slight cost. Please PM me and I’ll check out your account to see on the upgrade solution.

Please PM me here and I’ll try to help you out as fast as I can.

I hope my experience is better… got one coming… it’s for my daughter and will mainly be for texting so we know when to pick her up etc

FreedomPop sells Sprint phones. It looks like the Sprint LG G2 model is the LS980.

I love my T-Mobile G2, but be sure to buy a case. The screen is edge-to-edge and some have broken. I have also had mostly good experiences with FreedomPop. You can get an extra 500mb a month by signing up with “friends” whose emails you can find on a SlickDeals.net forum thread. Voice quality on the free service sucks, but you can pay $4 a month for real voice calls if you want them (rather than the standard VOIP).

If you don’t use much data it’s a great deal (assuming it works).

For me I’d end up paying about the same thing as I am now…

Agreed - between free wifi on the bus and at work, I end up using about 350-400mb of data (had a note 2 for the last 6 months now). Also, my allotment is around 900mb after adding friends from the freedompop friends thread at slickdeals, which was super easy, plus sharing between the 3 (now 4 with this phone) accounts adds another 100mb a month to my primary account.

So I get sent a phone with an existing phone number attached to it. Now I have to send it back, how frustrating this is. Very disappointed with woot & FreedomPop!

My LG G2 arrived yesterday and it’s defective. The touch screen doesn’t respond to most of my commands and instead just goes haywire. It zooms in and out without rhyme or reason, doesn’t allow me to log into FreedomPop, doesn’t allow me to pull down the top menu, it randomly scrolls from one home screen to other screens, and at one point an error message came up saying the LCD is damaged. It came shipped in this condition. To top it off, somehow the phone managed to gobble up 0.3GB of data while it was turned off last night!!!

I am very disappointed and I am hoping that I will promptly get a replacement G2 and have the data restored to my plan.

It comes with a system pre-fill number which is not your real phone number and can not call to, your number will be pulled from the FP Message app after turned on (and picked by you). Hope this explains to anyone who confused.

Mostly pleased with my FreedomPop experience so far, with a few caviats:

1. DO NOT UPDATE THINGS RIGHT AWAY IF YOU ARE ON DATA. Wait until you get to WiFi, and then update all the things or else you’re out for the month.

2. Battery life on my G2 seems really poor. I might have to send it back because of this - I was really hoping that a newer phone (especially factory refurbished) would come with a battery capable of more than 6 hrs of normal day (~3 hrs of use, maps, browsing, calling). :frowning: Other than this medium-big issue, the phone came in used - good shape, IMO. The earphone speaker grill is dented, but otherwise things seem fine physically and screen+touchscreen are spotless.

3. Calling with FreedomPop, navigating their setup, etc has been OK. A bit of distortion here and there, but not a deal-breaker for free service.

Can anyone give me guidance on whether or not FreedomPop will replace the phone or battery if I bring it up with them or am I stuck with a 1/4 day phone?

Got my phone on Friday, it was in pretty decent shape despite the poor packaging.

I was connected to my home WiFi, updated phone to Android 5.0.2, then updated all the apps, and at the end of the day my account showed that I had used 661 MB! I would have thought that every time there is a WiFi connection the phone would automatically use that instead of going through cell tower.

Or is it that data are removed from your account irrespective of whether the data stream through WiFi or cell?

Apart from this, the phone works fine, it is very responsive, and call quality is pretty good.

I read on SlickDeals that there is a problem with the Google Services using tons of background data. The user that reported it said that he tried all kinds of stuff and was never able to get it fixed other than running a custom ROM.

I think mine has the same issue. I can not activate it. It says my device doesn’t qualify for BYOB. I’m very disappointed. I’m going to play with it a little more to make sure I’m not missing anything.

Ordered 2 FreedomPop LG G2s:

• first one had a defective display/sensor wherein the top 1/4" of the display (where the notification bar resides) was unresponsive to input (finger touch/finger tap/finger slide); the notification bar was therefore not accessible, as was any apps/functions residing on the upper portion of the display leaving me with a phone that was not fully functional.
  • second one seemed to be fully operational but sticky residue was found on half the backing of the phone; however, neither phone has been activated for FreedomPop service yet, therefore, full functionality is still pending activation and use.
    Contacted WOOT for replacement or refund of defective phone sold as fully operational but was directed to resolve matter with FreedomPop.

Email correspondence with WOOT:

---- Original message: ----

Username: rubnjr
Email: rubnjr@yahoo.com
Topic: My stuff arrived damaged or defective!
Order #: 53585374
WIN: CE14253C - FreedomPop LS980 LG G2 White
Quantity: 2 @$99.99

Order Date: Thursday, September 17, 2015

I ordered 2 LG G2 phones. On arrival, I opened and inspected both phones. After powering up each one, I found 1 of them had a defective display and/or sensor. The top part of the display/screen where the notification bar resides was not responding to my touch. Touching anywhere else on the screen appeared to work most of the time (occasionally responding after 2 or 3 taps), however, The top section (1/4") does not respond at all. As a result, I’m unable to view or open the notification bar and anything else in that section of the phone’s display. Although refurbished, this phone is supposed to be 100% operational. It is important that I get a fully operational replacement right away. Please exchange or refund ASAP.
Thank you.

Ruben
PS: The other LG G2 phone I received as part of my order had sticky residue in the backing but appears to be working, however I have not activated Freedom Pop service yet so I have not tested the phone’s full operational ability at this time.

RESPONSE:

Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2015 4:40 AM
Subject: A message from Woot Customer Service

Hello,

Sorry that your item is not working properly. This item is covered under warranty through the manufacturer. Please contact them for information on repair/replacement options. Please let us know if you have any trouble resolving this with them directly.

http://www.freedompop.com/contact.htm?searchBar=true

Regards,
Swapna
Woot Member Services

Actually, there is a setting that allows one to disable Mobile Data, which then forces the phone to route everything through WiFi. I was not aware of that setting at the time, and I had assumed that if the phone had both cell and WiFi access, it would always use WiFi – and that is wrong: the phone chooses cell over WiFi.

I have now disabled Mobile Data, and all data traffic goes through WiFi.

If I receive my phone from woot and do nothing with it and don’t activate it will I be charged

Did you get charged?