FreedomPop Phone LG Volt

Hi everyone! We’re thrilled that Woot asked us to present another deal for our Free Phone Service with a selection of Android phones. If you have any questions about FreedomPop, I’ve included our top FAQs below (along with a link to a more expanded set). I’ll also be around to answer any questions in this thread or through PM!

** 1. Is FreedomPop really free?**
Yes, by activating on the 100% free, you’ll be able to get 200 minutes, 500 texts, and 500MB of data for free each and every month. Just buy the phone and you’ll never have to pay another phone bill again. Upgrading to unlimited talk & text is only $10.99/month.

** 2. What network does FreedomPop use? **
FreedomPop uses Sprint’s 4G LTE and 3G networks. Calls and texts are made through FreedomPop’s VoIP messaging app, so you must have a data connection in order to send/receive calls and texts. Go to www.freedompop.com/coverage3g4g to view the full coverage. As a way to save your free data allotment, you can also connect to any local WiFi network, such as the one in your home or work.

** 3. What do I do after receiving my phone? **
After you get your FreedomPop phone, please go to Activate | FreedomPop. Enter in the MEID of your phone, along with your desired email address to be associated with your FreedomPop account. Follow the steps to get fully activated. You will select your FreedomPop phone number during the activation process.

To see an even more expanded FAQs, please check out this page of the FreedomPop Community Forum! Hope everyone has a great day!

I bought one of these, got it 9/22. Works pretty damn good. Granted, it’s no comparison to my note 4, but nonetheless, it makes a great backup phone. 8/10 would buy again

Do you have to pay any additional activation charges? From the text, it looks like they’ll just activate (which is why I bought one).

No additional charges. Activation is free (Activate | FreedomPop) and you can choose the 100% free plan in order to ensure no monthly bill.

Is this phone unlocked ?

FreedomPop uses Sprint’s network for coverage. If that works for you, and the free plan fits your needs, they’re pretty good.

Be aware that phone support is as good as impossible to reach. That said, the admins on their forums are helpful, but are so swamped it takes a while for any resolution.

If you have to pay for FreedomPop’s extra plans, there are honestly better options (although their unlimited plan might be the exception to this, again, if Sprint’s coverage works for you, and if you really need a ton of data).

None of FreedomPop’s phones are unlocked, as far as I know. CDMA for the loss. :frowning:

Well, granted, the superior performance of CDMA is negated by the world-dominance of cheap&cheerful GSM, but since everything LTE is CDMA based, I don’t think you can call it a “loss,” beyond the limitations of Sprint’s coverage area vs. someone else. It is what it is; as long as you’re in a fairly urban environment, it’s no-monthly fee cell phone.

Been using freedom pop for 3 months. Never had a problem reaching their customer support which great.

And it is totally free if you skip the extras.

Just got mine, tried activating it, and it says it wasn’t eligible for the data, just voice and txt. Now I’m trying it again, and the page is giving me fits. WTF?

Ok, so now it’s stuck at the activation page… clicking “Activate” does nothing. :confused:

I’m sorry for the problem. Have you contacted FreedomPop support so they can assist you?

So I had to do this over the phone, instead of the website. What a hassle. But, your phone people, wherever they are, don’t understand the difference between “0.02 cents” and “0.02 dollars”.

AVOID FREEDOMPOOP! They’re horrible!

I bought the FreedomPop LG Volt from this sale, and was unable to activate it online for their so-called “free” service, so I called them up for help. The rep insisted on getting a CC number from me and charging me 1 cent for activating this supposedly “free” service, but told me plainly that that would be the ONLY charge. I was suspicious, but went with it against my better judgement and gave them my card number. I haven’t used the phone at all since that day.

Now, I see that they’ve dinged my card on Dec. 25 for $27.98 for their “premium service.” I didn’t authorize this! Nice Christmas gift from the tossers at FreedomPoop! I am FURIOUS! And, BTW, I just tried to make a call with it, and it doesn’t even work.

Woot, I strongly suggest you reconsider your relationship with this unethical company.

Activation was not free! They charged me 1 cent as a way to get a hold of my CC number.