FreedomPop Phone LG Volt

Hello Woot! Thrilled to be back here with another deal for our Free Phone Service with a selection of Android phones. If you have any questions about FreedomPop, I’ve included our top FAQs below (along with a link to a more expanded set). I’ll also be around to answer any questions in this thread or through PM!

** 1. Is FreedomPop really free?**
Yes, by activating on the 100% free, you’ll be able to get 200 minutes, 500 texts, and 500MB of data for free each and every month. Just buy the phone and you’ll never have to pay another phone bill again. Upgrading to unlimited talk & text is only $10.99/month.

** 2. What network does FreedomPop use? **
FreedomPop uses Sprint’s 4G LTE and 3G networks. Calls and texts are made through FreedomPop’s VoIP messaging app, so you must have a data connection in order to send/receive calls and texts. Go to www.freedompop.com/coverage3g4g to view the full coverage. As a way to save your free data allotment, you can also connect to any local WiFi network, such as the one in your home or work.

** 3. What do I do after receiving my phone? **
After you get your FreedomPop phone, please go to www.freedompop.com/activate. Enter in the MEID of your phone, along with your desired email address to be associated with your FreedomPop account. Follow the steps to get fully activated. You will select your FreedomPop phone number during the activation process.

To see an even more expanded FAQs, please check out this page of the FreedomPop Community Forum! Hope everyone has a great day!

Hi -

Which of these phones, if any, can be a hotspot, and what is the cost for making it so? I have an old Virgin Mifi for which I’m still paying $20/mo for 500 MB of 3G, so if I can get one of these to replace that for less it would be nice.

All of the phones except for the LG Volt can be used as a WiFi Hotspot. The FreedomPop WiFi Tethering service costs $3.99/month.

WARNING - FreedomPop will probably not treat you well but if you are careful you might be ok.

I highly suggest not giving them your credit card number - go to walmart and get a $25 Visa gift debit card, and use that. If you’re going to just stay on the free plan, then spend $22 on the gift card leaving just enough to activate FreedomPop.

If you may want to try their various other paid services, then leave the $25 on the card.

They have a bad history of charging people for things they don’t want.

They demand a one cent activation so that they have your credit card number on file.

I also suggest only getting freedom pop phones from woot (or another retailer you trust) because some of their refurbished phones are bad and woot will make it good - but if you buy direct from freedompop you’ll probably have an extremely hard time getting a refund or replacement.

Also, if freedompop tells you that the phone cannot be activated because of a dispute between sprint and the previous owner, ask to talk to a supervisor.

They told me that about mine and tried to sell me another – but when I asked for a supervisor, they put me on hold for a bit, then told me that it was just an error in their system and they were able to activate it after that, and I didn’t actually even have to talk to the supervisor!

So be wary - but it might work.

I have only had mine a few days so I don’t know if they’ll let me keep using their free service once they find out that I can keep within the free data/minutes limit.

They clearly use the “free” service as a method to try (and try they do) sell you on their various paid services.

Above all, please use a prepaid debit card. It will save you SO much headache if there is ever a billing dispute.

I should also mention that the Volt I got periodically disconnects the 3G connection for 20 seconds at a time or so, unless there is active data. If a call comes in during this time, it does not ring.

I installed a terminal app and set ping running on any IP and that causes 3G to stay connected, but I don’t know yet how it affects data usage, and I’m not sure how fast it eats battery either.

I don’t know if this periodic disconnecting thing is a freedompop thing or a LG Volt thing or what.

Ok, this is me. I have no cell phone. I loved my palm pilot that died 6 months ago. 10+ years of trouble free service. It outlasted 2 computers. I got a galaxytab in hopes of a suitable replacement… not quite. If i do the free plan and keep it in airplane mode do you think this might be a good replacement?

Ok previous purchasers… tell me your stories

Default packet size for a ping is 32 bytes, and it generally runs once per second, so at BEST, you’d eat through 80MB of data in a month from pings. However, they might round up small packets so that you’d end up in the gigabytes with your ping attempts. Find out what the time-out seem to be, and then extend the ping times to once per minute or even longer, and reduce the packet size.

PS: Thank you for the warning. Seems like Republic might be less of a headache.

It doesn’t sound like you need a phone at all, especially if you’re thinking of keeping it in airplane mode. If you just want a cut-rate tablet, get one of the Kindle Fire tablets on sale at the mothership starting at $35. Or if you want smaller, get any unlocked Android phone off ebay and just don’t activate it.

Maybe if I ping an IP that doesn’t respond, it won’t count toward my download and maybe it won’t get counted ha! (Doubtful. They probably round up to 1500 byte packets, count them coming and going, and count them twice! ha!)

If you don’t need cellular data, just don’t register it. Still works fine on wifi. Of course you may be able to get another android device cheaper.

The funny part is that when mine came, 3G was active. Voice and SMS was not active, and prompted me to activate when I tried to use them. But Cellular Data was active probably so the phone could be used to fill in the registration form. But worked for other websites, as well as hangouts dialer for google voice so I could actually make voice calls via my google voice before activating the phone. ha. I was thinking “Activating this better not be too much work ha ha.”

I should mention that android productivity apps (calendars, contacts, etc.,) do tend to be cloud based although they usually store local copy too then sync up to your gmail account. I’m not sure how satisfying it would be as an organizer without internet at all. But it may work great, just worth checking into that.

You Scammers! I just got my CC statement, and you charged me $5.99! Warning to everyone else, don’t believe this scam, they’ll start billing you for things you did NOT order. What the hell is going on? I knew this company was going to try to scam money out of me some way.

No, it’s not really free, it’s $5.99 a month they’ll try to scam you with.