FreedomPop Samsung Galaxy Prevail - White

Hello Woot! Big thanks to the mods for allowing to be back with a fresh set of Android phones bundled with our 100% free phone service. I’ve add our top FAQs below (along with a link to a more expanded set). I’ll also be around to answer any questions in this thread or through PM!

** 1. Is FreedomPop really free?**
Yes, by activating on the 100% free, you’ll be able to get 200 minutes, 500 texts, and 500MB of data for free each and every month. Just buy the phone and you’ll never have to pay another phone bill again. Upgrading to unlimited talk & text is only $10.99/month.

** 2. What network does FreedomPop use? **
FreedomPop uses Sprint’s 4G LTE and 3G networks. Calls and texts are made through FreedomPop’s VoIP messaging app, so you must have a data connection in order to send/receive calls and texts. Go to www.freedompop.com/coverage3g4g to view the full coverage. As a way to save your free data allotment, you can also connect to any local WiFi network, such as the one in your home or work.

** 3. What do I do after receiving my phone? **
After you get your FreedomPop phone, please go to www.freedompop.com/activate. Enter in the MEID of your phone, along with your desired email address to be associated with your FreedomPop account. Follow the steps to get fully activated. You will select your FreedomPop phone number during the activation process.

To see an even more expanded FAQs, please check out this page of the FreedomPop Community Forum! Hope everyone has a great day!

Don’t do it… Got a freedompop phone on the last woot offer… Phone’s battery wont hold a charge their customer service after I finally got some simply suggest I buy another battery… Phone still didn’t work with the new battery, contacted them multiple times and the customer service was complete garbage often they would say send me your account name or info I would do it and they never got back to me… Woot’s service was just as bad I contacted them and never heard back from them. Avoid this deal like the plague.

Customer service issues aside, the service isn’t entirely free. During a prior Woot I bought a couple of the cheapest basic smart phones figuring I’d give them to my U14 kids just on those days they go on field trips so they could call me to pick them up on return.

But while you can configure your “Basic” FreedomPop account to not cost anything, there is a monthly “account service fee” that, as I recall, costs less than $10 per month (something like $80 per year). So I only activated one phone, and it comes out of a drawer every few months. Still cheaper than a Wal-Mart pay as you go type phone.

Be forewarned… I haven’t bought one myself but the comments about FreedomPop sales on woot! are often replete with dissatisfied customers. And it also makes me wonder why FreedomPop has to so aggressively monitor and participate in the forum section.

Sort of amazing that Woot (Amazon) keeps offering this scam.

Here is an example of the bad customer service I’ve experienced…The full messages are below, you’ll note that I contacted them on November 28th… they supposedly responded on December 7th (actually I never got an email on the 7th from them but that is when they claimed to have contacted me)… Then I get the following email with all the messages saying the problem is solved since I never responded to their non-existent email on the 7th… DO NOT USE THESE PEOPLE THEIR SERVICE SUCKS… Biggest issue is that when I have gotten the follow up email asking for more info I send it and never hear back… They also have no phone number to contact them with probably because they use Freedompop phones that don’t work so calling would be pointless.

We have not heard from you concerning your request for support in the 48 hours since we sent a response. Consequently, we have changed the status of your question to Solved.
Subject
phone isn’t working

Question Reference # 151128-000550
Date Created: 11/28/2015 01:20 PM
Date Last Updated: 12/09/2015 11:01 PM
Response By Email (Reiquel a.) (12/07/2015 09:26 AM)
Hi,

Good Day!

Thank you for contacting FreedomPop’s email support team! I sincerely apologize for the delayed response. My name is Reiquel and I will be more than glad to assist you with your concern. However, I wasn’t able to locate the account. May I please ask for the e-mail address listed on the account?

Once the additional information is provided, we here at FreedomPop will be more than equipped to help you with your concern. Looking forward to your reply!

Customer By Service Web () (11/28/2015 01:20 PM)
I ordered 2 phones. The other set up and is started working just fine. This second phone initially acted like it needed me to call Sprint to activate it… After resetting the phone it finally activated and I was able to dial out one time. Then today when I try to use it I get a message that no network is available even though the other phone I set up is working fine. Then a while later it will work. It seems to go from working to not for no apparent reason. Lastly the battery goes from 100% charged to 50% charged in less than an hour and will then in less than a minutes time drop to 2% and shut down… Again this doesn’t seem right when the other phone has the same setting on it and yet has gone the entire day will less than a 10% drop in battery. I don’t know if the battery or the phone is messed up but something isn’t right.

I can certainly try to help you out here if you still wish to have assistance. Just PM me your information. We also have a Standard Support Phone Number at 888-743-8107.

It doesn’t sound like you’re on the right plan. Our 100% Free Plan won’t charge you anything. Please PM me your account information and I’ll make sure your account is set up correctly.

So I got one of these phones a week ago from Woot.com, I can tell you it truly is free(well not really see below) but you have to watch as FreedomPop is tricky, when you first activate the phone it will automatically enroll you in FreedomPop Premium Phone Service which is 7.99 a month and that will be a recurring charge on your free service. You have to then go in, create an account and then go to manage your plan. Once there you need to remove the Premium Phone Service feature and you will have truly free service. It will ask you at least 3 times if you want to remove it, just keep hitting yes.

Now as for the “free” part they did charge my credit card 1 cent, yes one cent, when I went through the activation process and they kept it. I would think it would cost more than 1 cent to process a credit card transaction of 1 cent but what ever. So you will need to part ways with a penny for the service.

You are on the Sprint network so if you have Sprint coverage in your area it works just fine. I didn’t notice any throttling on 3G or 4G LTE, it was getting the same speeds as my postpaid Spring iPhone 6S Plus.

So now I have a free burn phone if I need it

Is it possible to root/unlock or upgrade the Android version of these phones (specifically the LG F7)?

I would consider trying FreedomPop, but I’d like the option to take it somewhere else, too.

Does FreedomPop load up a lot of bloatware (since I’m guessing there isn’t as much revenue from subscriptions)?

i have a freedompop phone but would like to upgrade it. can i buy a new phone and transfer the service and phone number to the new phone?

Yes. After you received your new phone, just contact FreedomPop Customer Support (or call 888-748107) and they’ll be able to add it to your existing account and replace your older phone.

thanks. i’m ordering now. service not like at&t but so much less it works for my family.

that doesnt look like a valid number that the support guy gave. it seems to be missing a digit

just spent one hour on the phone with FreedomPop and they state they do not support the prevail so i am returning the phone.

Just responded to your PM. I will be looking into this matter and making sure your phone gets activated properly.