FreedomPop Samsung Galaxy S4

Hello everyone! Thrilled that Woot ask us to come back again with a new offer of some Android smartphone that come with our 100% free phone service. Please see below for the top FAQs (plus with a link to a more expanded set). I’ll also be here to answer any questions in this thread or through PM!

1. Is FreedomPop really free?
Yes, by activating on the 100% free, you’ll be able to get 200 minutes, 500 texts, and 500MB of data for free each and every month. Just buy the phone and you’ll never have to pay another phone bill again. Upgrading to unlimited talk & text is only $10.99/month.

2. What network does FreedomPop use?
FreedomPop uses Sprint’s 4G LTE and 3G networks. Calls and texts are made through FreedomPop’s VoIP messaging app, so you must have a data connection in order to send/receive calls and texts. Go to freedompop.com/coverage3g4g to view the full coverage. As a way to save your free data allotment, you can also connect to any local WiFi network, such as the one in your home or work.

3. Are there any special add-on services that I can get?
One of our top value-added services is Premium Voice. If Premium Voice is active on your account, then your phone calls will be redirected through Sprint’s Voice Network, rather than going through VoIP. Adding Premium Voice costs $3.99/month.

4. What do I do after receiving my phone?
After you get your FreedomPop phone, please go to freedompop.com/activate. Enter in the MEID of your phone, along with your desired email address to be associated with your FreedomPop account. Follow the steps to get fully activated. You will select your FreedomPop phone number during the activation process.

To see an even more expanded FAQs, please check out this page of the FreedomPop Community Forum! Hope everyone has a great day!

got the samsung galaxy core prime 1 year ago… as a phone… it sucks. IF i can dial out, it takes 4 tries or more. to get a call, the caller has to try 3 times to make it ring. BUT I’ve spent less than $50 in the year.

Customer services sucks. it takes days to get a responce. but if you are reasonably tech savy you should be able to solve any issues yourself after a day or two.

data isn’t enough, i run through it after a week

We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you’ve experienced. You can alway PM us here with your account information to further assist you.

If you’re having calling issues, we highly recommend adding premium voice service. Premium Voice allows you to use the Sprint Cellular network for calls in weak signal areas. Ensures high-quality voice calls even when a network connection is poor by switching seamlessly between FreedomPop voice and cellular voice.

I have had the FreedomPop FREE service for about 17 months. In the beginning, I had a Samsung Galaxy SIII. It had issues. The VIOP and messaging were intermittent at best. It also kept wanting to update to protect it from the Stagefright virus and there was no way to make it stop. There were also connection issues. It sucked. I posted about it last year:
http://electronics.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=6694526&pageindex=1#post6696237
FreedomPop sent me a new phone and the issues went away. Since the VIOP depended on a decent 3G or LTE signal, it wouldn’t always call, but I could always get and receive texts or check email. It was a great back up phone for going to the gym. I could use it for emergencies, but if it got ripped off, lost, or broken I was only out the cost of the phone (SIII is now $50.00).
On the FREE plan there is no Voice Mail. That’s easily solved with Google Voice. However, Google Voice and the FreedomPop service on the SIII don’t mesh too well.
It seems to receive Google Voice calls well enough if you are in a good service area… if not in a good area, the caller can leave a VM. You’ll get notified and can call them back if you want.
So, if you have an acquaintance you don’t want to talk to or be bothered by their loooong VM, give them the FreedomPop number — it’ll just ring. :slight_smile:
Sadly, at work, while getting out of my car the SIII dropped out of my pocket and crashed onto the asphalt. It died a horrific death and the light faded from its severely cracked screen forever.
I ordered a Samsung Galaxy S4 (now I’m up to 2014). I like it. I am even using the $7.99 Premium Plus Service and it’s good. I have been tempted to disable it several times, but I can spare the $7.99 for now.
FreedomPop isn’t perfect. If you live in a strong sprint area, for the cost of the phone you can have a cell phone with FREE service. It’s not going to be as robust as a cell phone that isn’t using VOIP and you will have limited amount of cell minutes, texts, & internet access. This might be ideal for someone that isn’t tied to their phone and just needs it for emergencies or to check in with someone.
The add-ons are how FreedomPop makes their money and I’m sure they hope you buy some. They aren’t overly expensive, however you do have the choice – you can keep it FREE if you like.
As a side note, FreedomPop adds a lot of the add-ons for FREE when you first sign up. They add them automatically and it is up to you to disable them before the end of the billing cycle or you will pay for them (yeah, not the coolest thing for them to do). I suggest, if you want the FREE service, checking your plan upfront and disable everything you don’t want to pay for. Set and forget! Some of the services require you to HUNT for the link to disable them… i.e. the micro-print link in gray at the bottom of the Premium Plus page that I missed the first three times I visited the page.
YMMV

Thank you for the feedback!