Fun Express Break Your Own Geodes

My kids watched this like 10 times in a row yesterday. One because they couldn’t understand why someone would do that and two because they loved the audio.

We now have a new catchphrase in our house, “what is this!?!?”

I asked but I’m still anxiously awaiting what “this” is. :smile:

1 Like

Not very nice to the :cricket:crickets either.

1 Like

How big are these? Mothball size? Golf ball size? Baseball size? What is the average diameter?

Most items on Clearance are from Amazon overstock and aged inventory so we don’t have a lot of information on them.

Here it is on Amazon. Looks like there’s some info in the Q&A section.

https://www.amazon.com/Fun-Express-Break-Your-Geodes/dp/B00263UZMW

Oh, please. Just buy em already!!! I wanna be there when you open em

That is NOT how you crack open geodes. That’s how you shatter geodes into small pebbles.
If you want a geode that’s not something that resembles fairy dust, use a good rock chisel and hammer, and do it on pavement or concrete cuz you’ll seriously screw up any surface softer than the rock.

Never mind being there. I wanna have you send me a couple to open!

>'Kat

1 Like

You are right. The correct way to open a geode is like Gallagher and his watermelons. (It’s his birthday today).

1 Like

Got my order of geodes today. Like stupid fast shipping. Came in individual boxes, but still had the sound of a box of rocks.

Here are the contents of the three boxes to see the distribution, quarter for scale, and tape measure for scale. (no bananas on hand)

4 Likes

You haven’t smashed them yet?! :astonished:

WhatsInside

Do you need a cat?

Say, those aren’t that small after all. Maybe I want some of my own to crack open!

>'Kat

First round proved fun, I believe, for the kids, but annoying for me. The bulk of the 15 or so geodes were almost all solid with a white or near white coloring. The bulk were from the same box and a few from a second box if you care about distribution information.

This presented a few challenges. We initially tried with a masonry chisel
(seen here) but the dense, solid, nature of the geodes just chewed through the chisel tip.

We tried scoring it, digging into existing cracks, whaling away at a single point, and nada. Ultimately we decided to just whack them with as much force as the kids could muster using a standard claw-hammer, and going for the exploding/shattering effect.

Obviously eye protection is a must, preferably on a piece of concrete you don’t mind getting a little chewed up (or garden paver), and went that route.

Next weekend will be kid test group two with another 15 or so, but I doubt the result will be much different in density, crystal growth, or coloring.

I guess I was hoping for more, but at a buck-a-geode it was an ok price for a geology lesson, and watching a chain gang of kids break rocks in the super hot day.

4 out of 5 stars

★★★★☆

May your geodes be a little more diverse!

6 Likes

The adolescent boy buried somewhere in my subconscious alerted me to the phallus shaped one. And now I can’t unsee it. Or not giggle. :w_banana::speak_no_evil:

2 Likes

I went to so many of his shows and sat in the zone needing rain ponchos.

2 Likes

I broke them open. They’re all quartz. Unless they send different ones, don’t expect colors.
However; they’re beautiful. Very oddly shaped, bottom bin geodes but it was a lot of fun!! Two
Of them were solid in the middle. But the others weren’t.

image|375x500

1 Like

Seems you had a better go at it than mine.

Box 2 of 3 had a slightly better yield. A titch bit more classic geode innards.

2 Likes