Fun with the dog(s)

This is in the DFW area. If there is a fun event in your city, please tell us about it.
Wags And Waves.
http://www.metroplexanimalcoalition.org/wagsAndWaves/index.html

September 26, 2009
10am – 4pm
Hawaiian Falls
4550 N Garland Ave
Garland, TX 75040
Presented by Metroplex Animal Coalition

Say So Long to Summer at the Ultimate Pool Party for You and Your Pooch!

Wade in the Wave Pool or float down the Lazy River
Clever Canine & Canine Couture Contests
Live Music by The Big Guns
Low-cost Microchips and ID Tags – Vendors – Goody Bag – Food – Fun!
MC: J.D. Miles – CBS11 Reporter

Honorary Host: Larry Powell – www.readlarrypowell.com

Admission:
$20 per person (including 2 dogs)
FREE T-shirt with early online registration!

Dog Day Afternoon.
http://donate.operationkindness.org/site/Calendar/465057697?view=Detail&id=100421

Sunday, September 20th
Flag Pole Hill Park
10AM-3PM

You and your furry best friends are invited to join us for an unforgettable afternoon of fun benefiting Operation Kindness, the oldest and largest no-kill animal shelter in North Texas.

Dog Day Afternoon, presented by Pet Supplies Plus, is an amazing festival where you and your pooch can enter our Canine Contests for great prizes, visit our “doggie mall” with unique vendors, watch demos from Dallas Dog and Disc Club and Search one Animal Rescue, or take in the sights of dog attendees in every breed and size imaginable!

• Spectator Admission is FREE!!
  • Canine Contest are $10 per dog
  • Limited Edition Shirts are only $10!

Register for Canine Contests or Buy Your Shirt Now!

At the Bedford Splash:

4th Annual Dog Splash Day
Give your 4-legged friends a chance to strut their stuff at the 2009 Dog Splash Day at Bedford Splash! We will have a free swim and contests with prizes. Contest will include costume, diving and retrieving. Dogs must have proof of current rabies shots! All dogs MUST be Pre-Register at the Boys Ranch Activity Center at least one day prior to the event. Preregistration will cut off at 5:00 pm on Friday, September 11.

When: Saturday, September 12, 2009
Time: 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Fee: $5 per dog, owners are free

http://www.bedfordsplash.com/special_events_2.htm

Ooh, I am so excited about this! I read about it online, and have used it on mine and other people’s dogs to calm and relax them. Now I can learn it from a pro. Yay!
http://www.spca.org/site/Calendar/708184140?view=Detail&id=18021

Tellington TTouch
Lone Star Campus

The Tellington TTouch is a specialized approach to the care and training of our animal companions. Developed by internationally recognized animal expert, Linda Tellington-Jones, PhD (Hon), this method based on cooperation and respect offers a positive approach to training, can improve performance and health and presents solutions to common behavioral and physical problems. It also helps establish a deeper rapport between humans and animals through increased understanding and more effective communication.

The Tellington TTouch can help in cases of:

Excessive Barking & Chewing
Leash Pulling
Jumping Up
Aggressive Behavior
Extreme Fear & Shyness
Resistance to Grooming
Excitability & Nervousness
Car Sickness
Problems Associated With Aging

This gentle method is currently being used by animal owners, trainers, breeders, veterinarians, zoo personnel and shelter workers in several countries.

Saturday, August 29, 2009
9am to 4pm

Lone Star Campus
2400 Lone Star Drive
Dallas, Texas 75212

$100 with dog, $65 for auditors

If you’d like to attend this event you can purchase tickets online.

Pet Fest 2009
http://www.spca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=PetFest2009

What better way to celebrate home, families and best friends than to take a walk down the Yellow Brick Road to the SPCA of Texas in Collin County for the Hill’s Science Diet Pet Fest.

Bring your best friend and get ready for a day full of family fun with the SPCA of Texas.

Pet Fest will have something fun for everyone:
Toto, munchkins and big kids alike!

Date & Time:

Saturday, September 12, 2009
9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.

SPCA of Texas Perry Animal Care Center
8411 Stacy Road/FM 720 McKinney, Texas 75070

Featuring:

Contests Paw Painting Puppy Play Pools
Games Bobbing for Bones Musical Chairs
Canine Good Citizens Test ($10)

Munchkin Land will have a bounce house, arts and crafts, face painting and games.

The Emerald City Marketplace will feature vendor booths, tasty treats and more!

Toto must be on a leash and have current vaccinations.

Just came across this: Dog Dayz in Boulder CO

Are you doing this then? Let us know how it goes! I just walked our dachshund around the block and he pulled on the stupid leash the whole stupid time. haha I just cannot get him to stop. I’m interested to hear more about it!

Yes! I called and confirmed they are still having it. They took it off the calendar because the class is full, but I signed up in time. My dogs are easy going and laid back, but they love to relax even more when I use this on them. It’s great for when I dogsit or housesit other people’s dogs, or for training any dog. I’ll tell you all about the class later. :slight_smile:

What a great class this was! So much information, I hardly know where to start.
First, put your arm out. Start at the shoulder, cupping your hand slightly, stroke down to your fingertips in one movement, several times. What do you notice? That you still feel it on your arm after you stop.
It works the same way on dogs. “It helps them relax and increases their body awareness.” “It gives the dog new information (experiences) by engaging the sensory aspect of the nervous system.” (from the handout they gave everyone).
Types of TTouches
Circular: Using the fingers or hand, move the dog’s skin gently a “circle and a quarter” in a clockwise direction.
Lifts: The hand gently lifts and supports the tissue of the body, then slowly releases it to the resting position. This helps release muscle tension around a specific joint or body part.
Strokes: Long strokes from one part of the body to another distant part. These reinforce the dog’s spatial awareness.
Pressure: Different amounts of light pressure are used on a scale of 1-5. Try another pressure if one is not working.
Tempo: Circular touches can be done in one-, two-, or three second repetitions.
Location: TTouch only once in a location before the fingers glide lightly to a different location close by.

I have to get dinner now. There is so much more than this, but it’s enough to start on. :slight_smile:

I wanted to add more about ttouch before looking for next months fun events with dogs.

Part of ttouch is the bodywork which is briefly described in the previous post. This helps your dog relax and builds trust.
Ttouch tools-
There are also body wraps. They make the dog more aware of their whole body (among other things.) I’m going to add a link that explains how to put a body wrap on.
Talked to the instructor about one of my dog’s bad habits. My Boxer dog Baron does not seem to be aware of how heavy he is. When I am on the floor, sometimes he steps on me. She suggested I put hair scrunchies on his legs, and work with him a little to increase his awareness of his feet. It sounds crazy, but I think it will work. (Still have to go buy the scrunchies.)
Another tool is a double clip leash. This is a seven foot leash with a clip on either end. It can be attatched to the dog with two points of contact, and is used in various harness and head collar configurations. This is the one that works well on leash pulling dogs! During the class they used this on a hyper little dog that pulled and spun in circles when the owner stopped walking. By having two points of contact, they were able to guide the dog to stand in a balanced manner when the person stopped walking. And it stopped pulling. The dog caught on quickly to what was expected, and calmed down.
The Confidence Course-
These are leading exercises used to improve the dogs attention and focus. They are done slowly with purpose. With frequent stops to allow the dog to experience being in balance. This helps increase body awareness and enhances communication between the handler and the dog. Objects like poles, cones, and agility equipment are often used. A labyrinth is set up, which requires the handler and dog to make several turns in both directions when walking through it.
Here is a link that explains the body wrap, and several other training tips.
http://www.heartseasettouch.com/articles.htm

4th Annual Bow Wow Pow Wow
Saturday, September 26 2009, 4:00 pm - 8:00

4th Annual Bow-Wow Pow-Wow
Doggie Swim, Vendors, Contests and much more!

The Colony Parks & Recreation Department will be hosting its 4th annual Bow-Wow Pow-Wow on Saturday, September 26, 2009 from 4:00 to 8:00 pm. This community special event, targeted to dog lovers of all ages, will be held at Hawaiian Falls Water Park, 4400 Paige Rd, The Colony, TX, 75056. This attractively themed venue will host doggie and owner swim areas, doggie vendors, doggie contests, doggie parades, doggie games and much more canine fun!

Admission to the event is $8 for TC residents/ $12 non-residents with 1 dog. Additional dogs will be admitted for $4 with a limit of two dogs/ attendee. A portion of the proceeds will benefit The Colony Animal Shelter Injured Animal Fund. Concessions will be available for purchase with some special dog delicacies as well of course!

This is a great chance for your lovable pooch to mingle with others, get a workout, work the fashion runway and have the chance to win fabulous prizes. Bring the entire family!

For specific details or additional information, contact Parks & Recreation at (972)625-1106.

Contact Person: Sree Kolloru
Extra Info : For More Information Contact: Sree Kolloru, Special Events Coordinator sree@tcpard.com, or (972)625-1106, ext.562

interesting article about dangers in pet toys…

Very interesting, thanks for posting that information. We can’t be too careful when it comes to our dogs health and safety. :slight_smile:

(Dog)food for thought.
How to choose a good dry dog food-
http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/feeding/69377-how-choose-good-dry-dog-food.html
Dog food analysis-

yeah - really bothers about the lead in tennis balls. Balls made for the sport don’t have any lead - but half of those tested that are made for dogs did. What is up with that?

Here in Birmingham, Al, we have a special day each year: http://www.dodahday.org/

I love it!

Pet First Aid/CPR Seminar.
http://www.unleasheddogparks.com/calendar.php

Pet First Aid/CPR Seminar
WhenSun, October 11, 10am – 7pm
WhereUnleashed Indoor Dog Parks (map)
DescriptionWould you be prepared if something happened to your four-legged friend?? ~~~~~~~ The most comprehensive and complete pet first aid training in the metro-plex, guaranteed!! ~~~~~~~ Our own Certified Pet First Aid and CPR Instructor, Beth Bowers will be giving an all day seminar to teach pet owners and pet professionals what to do in an emergency! ~~~~~~~ Pet CPR ~~~ Rescue Breathing ~~~ Muzzling/Restraining ~~~ Snout To Tail Assesment ~~~ Caring for Your Senior Pet-izen ~~~ Choking ~~~ Poisoning ~~~ Seizures ~~~ Heat/Cold Injuries ~~~ Insect Bites/Stings ~~~ Snakebites ~~~ Dental Care ~~~ Pet First Aid Kit List and Discussion ~~~~~~~ Visit www.PowerToThePawZ.com for more details!! ~~~~~~~ Beth has over 10 years in the veterinary industry and has been certifying individuals for over 2 years, through Pet Tech, the first national training center for Pet First Aid and CPR. ~~~~~~~ Seats are limited, so call today 214-388-0701 x 304 with any questions and to save your seat!

Information on seminar and trainer.
http://powertothepawz.com/first_aid_and_cpr

5th Annual Barktoberfest

WHAT : Frisco Humane Society’s BARKTOBERFEST 2009

WHEN: Saturday October 24, from 12-4 PM

WHERE: Frisco Commons Park, 8000 Mckinney St, Frisco

WHY: to pay medical costs of dogs and cats rescued by the Frisco Humane Society

EVENTS INCLUDE: Dog contests such as Best Costume, Best Trick, etc ; Canine Demonstrations, Dog Walk around Lake:
Canine Good Citizen testing; Low Cost Microchip Clinic;
Crafts for kids by Sparky’s Pals; Face Painting; Silent Auction;

Pet-related shopping opportunities
Food and softdrinks at “The Dogfather Grill”

MORE INFO AT: www.friscohumanesociety.com

PUPPY CAM!!!

Younger puppies on this cam.

These are sooo cute!

Awwwwwwwwww.