Galante Vineyards Estate Red - 3 Pack

Great question. Tanins are managed in a few ways. First of all, our wines don’t need any help with color as they are naturally good and dark. So, fermentation temperature can be kept low which heps control tannins. We also carefully manage pumpovers and watch for skins when they start breaking up. Bottle aging also naturally assists to soften wines. The wines certainly have good tannins but they are well balanced.

Remember, Carmel Valley and Napa Valley are 150 miles apart and as such the weather is quite different. Most of the comments about good and bad years is based on wide assumptions that are centered around Napa. We had lovely seasons in 06 and 08… Good rain, no early frost, and warm summers. These wines are, however, softer overall than the 07 vintage. We sold out of our 07 Red Rose Hill, haven 't released our Blackjack, and didn’t make a Rancho in 07.
Upon one taste of our wines you will immediately notice the excellent acids. For a real experience try our incredible Sauv Blanc. The pH is only one piece of the puzzle and ours is right there where we expect it. Check out the TA numbers too. These wines are not acid bombs, far from it, but they are also not over alcoholed fruit bombs that aren’t enjoyable with food. We go for very balanced, friendly wines.

SORRY! We CAN ship to Kansas. It was my fault for leaving it out. I will let Wine.Woot know.

darn was gonna lay low after the last woot off, (fedex office folks now know me as “wine guy” cause I have had so much wine arriving, in fact one pick up today another tomorrow)But I gotta get one of these, sounds too good to pass.

What are the differences in the soils and temps of the different vineyards represented in this offer? How do you feel these soils express themselves in the wines?

I know the feeling! You should see my cellar (in the caves). You won’t be disappointed. Thanks!

I would second Mr. Galante’s statement about how vintage ratings are focused on Napa. There is little commonality between Central Coast and North Coast vintages. Napa has a lot less marine influence and most of it is lower in elevation than the Galante vineyards. I live in Livermore, and some of the worst Napa Valley vintages are some of the best around here.

I haven’t had the wines in many years, but a Galante Blackjack Cab I tried about ten years ago at the annual Monterey Winemaker’s Celebration was definitely the highlight of that event. One of the most intense wines I’ve ever tasted, and quite a contrast from all the other wineries. If you’re scared because you think you don’t like wines from Monterey County, Carmel Valley, and specifically Galante, is quite different.

Our ranch goes from 700 feet to 2200 feet in elevation and spans 700 acres. Down at the lower elevations the temperatures in the growing season are more extreme - that is where we grow our cabernets. Daily variations can be 50 to 70 degrees (nights in the 30’s and 40’s and days in the 90’s to 100). Higher up, the weather is more moderate - less variation - with a more coastal influence. We grow some Pinot Noir, Sauv Blanc and Petite Sirah up higher. The cab fields have fairly similar temps although Blackjack is the highest of the lower block fields and, as such, is harvested generally two weeks or more after the Red rose Hill and Rancho. Any variation will impact the flavors of the grapes, but exactly what components in the flavors can be allocated to this is hard to say. Soils vary from sandy loam with a high percentage of river rock to more loamy with less sand component. Up high we have a lot of decomposed granite with little nutrients. All soils are well drained and the vineyards are all on slopes and south facing. Again, difficult to pinpoint exact flavors that can be attributed to the soils but you will definitely find similar terroir characteristics among the wines.

Thanks for that comment. You hit the nail on the head. Comparing Carmel Valley to the rest of Monterey County is like comparing a Rodeo Queen to a Clown! Both serve a purpose but they are very different characters. We are in the mountains while most of Monterey is in the valley and influenced by the fog and winds. That is why Pinots and Chardonnays do so well in those areas. We are known for our bigger, Bordeau varietals. However, as I mentioned, higher up on our mountain is where we grow our Pinot Noir. This is because the climate is cooler there. But our Pinot is quite different from the rest of Monterey. It is more Burgundian in style, bigger and bolder, and we age it a lot longer. We just released our 2007 this past week.

I just ordered (4) bottles of the Rancho Galante from the tasting room 2 weeks ago, shipped to CT…how come this offer will not ship to CT?

Ahh Galante, don’t know anyone in Texas who doesn’t love these wines. Good to see ya here today Jack, thanks for all your scoop on the boards.

Dorothy? Toto? Kansas has been added…

You are correct! We can ship 5 gallons every 2 months there. Don’t know why I missed that one!

You got it! Our Texas customers are FABULOUS. I will be in Houston being honored by the Knights of the Vine in October. Looking forward to some great food and tequila!

So does that mean I can place an order today?

Yes - sorry for the confusion.

we discovered Galante during summers in Carmel and met Jack when he hosted an event at the outdoor theater there. Wonderful wines and very civic minded owner/company. Don’t miss the chance to try this very tasty selection. Jim Baxter - San Antonio, TX

Thanks…but CT still does not appear in the State pulldown when attempting to place an order

Thanks Jim. That was a fun evening. Hope to see you next summer.

Thank you! In for one. So glad I said something!!