Garmin 5" GPS with Lifetime Maps/Traffic

Mine came with it. It’s effective (the cup).

I will say that this unit’s not as intuitive as my old Tom Tom (ancient by today’s standards) and requires more button pushes to do things like dim the display than there should be… but maybe I’m just not used to it.

I’ve got one! It’s garbage. Very disappointed with Garmin, and will be looking for a new brand.

My first Nuvi years ago worked fantastic.

This particular model, not so.

First issue - lifetime maps, but the device doesn’t have enough space to update them. You HAVE to buy a memory card for it if you want to update your maps. I think this is crappy of Garmin. Seriously, I can’t imagine it would cost them much more than a buck to put enough memory in there to actually be able to update the device.

Second issue, it periodically hangs. I’ll be stopped at a light, and it’ll still show me going 60 down the highway from 5 minutes ago.

Third issue. Unreliable routing. I was up in Canada (yes, it has Canada maps) on my way from Banff to Jasper, AB. We were about halfway there, and punched in Jasper, AB as we weren’t sure about the route. When it pulled up a list of place with ‘Jasper’ in the title, it showed it with the correct distance and time. Once selected though, it jumped from the 45 minutes we needed to a 7 hr drive going God knows where.

Needless to say, I value it’s information about as much as directions from my mother-in-law, who doesn’t know left from right.

@klwdallas, I too like Waze but I’m holding my breath until new owner Google either screws it up or shuts it down like they do with a lot of what they buy. (They buy talent, not companies.)

But Waze’s long trip routing is a joke. It is much better status of the road in front of you app.

Stand alone NAV has its place if you want to use your smartphone for other things whilst on the road - for example to check Gasbuddy for prices or find restaurants.

As to smartphone apps, we’ve done tests where we were running Waze, Apple, and Google at the same time - the latest on a 1,500 mile to the SE and back…

1. You had better have your phone plugged into a car charger since Bluetooth + GPS eats battery. (And the phone gets surprisingly hot.)

2. None of the 3 were consistently accurate. Typically 2 of 3 agreed. 1 of those “2” was typically, surprisingly, Apple.

3. We tended to leave Waze on display due to the road/traffic/cop status it provides.

4. BTW, we gave up on Mapquest since it kept crashing.

5. If you have a tablet with a GPS chip and cellular data radio (or tethered to your phone), their huge displays are great for finding alternative routes… with a non-driver operating it of course.