Garmin Forerunner 50 Sport Watch with Foot Pod

Wonder if this works with Linux…

Will this work with my Mac?

So does the ANT stick connect to your computer via the USB port or does it stick into the foot pod?

despite the Garmin name, this is NOT a GPS watch, correct?
You need the foot pod to track on the watch, unlike Garmin Forerunner units, which are GPS watches.

I got all excited when I thought this was a heart rate monitor, however:
“Compatible digital heart rate monitor continuously tracks heart beats per minute which is wirelessly transmitted to the Forerunner 50 (not included)

argh

Woot had one a few months back, can’t remember why I missed it

Look here for your answer
http://www8.garmin.com/products/trainingcenter/

Froogled: Garmin Forerunner 50

Gonna have to think about this one. Does it also make excersize fun?

From the website, you stick it in your computer and it acts like a wireless dongle.

I don’t know if I should get one. I’ve been meaning to try to get in shape.

No heart rate monitor?

B O G U S

It would be interesting with a heart rate monitor, but this is barely more than a step meter.

Unsolicited advice:
Get the Nike+ Sportband instead.
I’ve tried them all and there’s no comparison.
That includes the iPod Nike+ version, which I also have.
The only thing the Garmin has that the Sportband doesn’t is the heart monitor and its useless, anyway.
Plus, even that’s only optional with this model.
The cycle extension sounds intriguing, though.
But then the next version of Nike+ is going to have that, too, plus a heart rate monitor which will (hopefully) work.

heart rate monitor for this watch $43 from Amazon
[link]http://www.amazon.com/GARMIN-010-10997-00-Heart-Rate-Monitor/dp/B000UOD5QM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1226729826&sr=8-1[/link]

I was also excited about a potential GPS HRM as well, because my Polar died a whille back. Too bad that’s not included. But it’s not bad, for the price.

I checked out the specs page on their website. This package is 1/3 of the MSRP on Woot, however this is the bottom of the Garmin Barrel. If you visit the link above, you can click on the specs tab, and compare to their other models. Not a bad price, if you’re in the market for the basic model. If you want an HRM, it’s another $60 through their store (check "accessories). I haven’t checked other places yet, but I’m going to pass, get my Polar fixed.

PS I saw, on the specs, that Mac compatibility was on its way. Nothing about Linux. It only mentioned Windows 2k+ compatibility, on the PDF I saw.

I don’t really understand the point of having electronics like this … I mean if you’re one of those, “Yeah I love jogging because it’s fun and makes me feel good about myself” type of people knock yourself out. But do you really need to be so anal about it that you have to track where and how far and all that?

But lets get serious for a moment people … nerds don’t exercise. Hell, most of them don’t see the sun for years at a time.

This is a wierd woot.

4:28?! damn, 8 minutes too late…

really excited till I realized this is NOT a gps. I have the forerunner 201 and it’s great for plotting runs, trails, and to see how fast your going when skiing. The serial port connection on it is kinda clunky though.

It’s not just about saying hey look, I ran a mile! It’s also about seeing if you improved over the day before, which is helpful if you’re in training.

I would be all over this if it had GPS capabilities.