Garmin Mobile GPS Receiver and Bluetooth Kit For Smartphones with Mini SD

Note: This post contains pricing information for future reference because it is generally not available elsewhere once the next Woot has been offered.

Garmin Mobile GPS Receiver and Bluetooth Kit For Smartphones with Mini SD
$49.99 + $5 shipping
condition: New
product: 1 Garmin 010-00580-00 Mobile 20 Portable GPS with Mini SD Data Card

will this work with a blackberry curve 8320?

Assembly required?

says it works with a cingular 8525, but you need a mini sd?? 8525 uses micro-sd

got one of these last time for my t-mobile wing, and I love it. works great since i updated my phone’s firmware. also Garmin sent me an updated maps disc for free. totally worth $55. on the downside, you need to already have a 2GB microSD card, since the card that comes with the kit won’t work in a wing. but 2GB microSD cards are dirt cheap, so if you don’t have one, it’s easy enough to fix that. I already had one, so it was no skin off my nose.

Granted, I’m an old fart and generally clueless, but, seriously, what the hell does this thing do? Will it turn my Treo into a GPS? Is there a monthly subscription fee (in addition to my monthly data plan for the Treo)?

its true, Mini SD, died too quick to be useful format.

Price comparator post ! - Manually optimized searches for relevant results

New Garmin Mobile GPS Receiver and Bluetooth Kit For Smartphones with Mini SD, for $49.99 + $5 shipping
Product: 1x Garmin 010-00580-00 Mobile 20 Portable GPS with Mini SD Data Card

To access the price comparator links, click here
Single-click comparison for this item

http://lucy.cykian.net/wts/pic0.pnghttp://lucy.cykian.net/wts/pic1.png

if your Treo is one of the models listed in the description, then it should indeed turn it into a GPS. there are no subscription fees for GPS positioning. and it seems to me that all the Garmin-added features are free as well, such as traffic, fuel prices, and searching for destinations.

Yep, this will turn your treo into a GPS, probably not as nice as the stand alone GPS units, but it gets the job done. No additional subscriptions or fees.

Wondering if this can be use with Nokia N800.

No. If Garmin makes one that works with that model, it would be the 010-00626-00.

I’m an old fart as well, and this turns your “smart phone” into a GPS. Got one last time it was on Woot, works like a charm on my Audiovox SMT5600 (about the oldest phone you can use, pulled it out of retirement just for this). Almost all the features of a $250 dedicated GPS, except the touch-screen.

are you saying that you copied the program and maps to another card and it worked? cause I thought the program and card was a matched set.

I’ve got one of these. Very good, the SD slot is very useful.

yup. it’s not quite that easy, but it is do-able. check out the comments from the last time this was offered, over on woot.com:
http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=2300397

sure, wait till i upgrade from my trusty old Treo 650 to a 3G iPhone, THEN offer this great deal!!!

a few months ago, I’d have been all over this. might get it anyway. cept besides the iPhone got two standalone gps’s.

I almost jumped on this, but am I reading it right?
“The software can be run on the following phones, but you must have a Mini or full size SD card slot:”

My phone is listed (Samsung SCH-i760) but it does not have a mini SD slot, it has micro SD slot.
So I’m confused. My phone is listed as compatible, but is not compatible because it does not have a mini SD card slot.

halp!

That’s what I was wondering as well. I have a BB Curve with a microSD slot and a couple 2gb cards kicking around, if I could just copy the mini to the micro this would be fantastic!