Garmin Mobile GPS Receiver and Bluetooth Kit For Smartphones with Mini SD

I bought one of these several months ago and am very happy with it. I was able to receive the 2009 map update CD free from Garmin (sells for like $75 normally). Unfortunately, Garmin has apparently caught on to the fact that Woot is selling these so cheap as many people who failed to order their map update disk right after receiving their GPS were denied the right to do so later. I am not sure whether they were ever able to update their maps or not. Nothing new has been posted on the earlier forum page about this problem either. I hope Garmin has changed their mind and is allowing people to get the updates now. Also, you can copy the maps to another SD card however, you must follow the instructions from either Garmin’s site or on the earlier forum page on Woot. You can copy the software from the existing card onto SD, SDHC, mini SD, or micro SD cards. All should work just fine. Also, NO subscription fees unless you use the traffic features. For anyone wondering, phones actually fit quite well into the spring loaded mount. My Samsung i730 has never fallen out.

unless your phone has a touch screen, which mine does.

It will work with your phone, but you need to copy the software from the SD mini card onto a micro SD card. You will have to modify one of the files so that it will work, but that is fairly easy to do. Look at the item discussion for this GPS when it was sold earlier this year (spring I believe) to get the directions. I did this and it works fine on my Samsung SCH-i730. Good luck, and nice phone by the way.

Will the software work with Windows Mobile 2003se devices?

I bought one of these the last go round. One word of caution, you better have a data plan. I made a trip to last month, and it kept me connected the whole trip. Not a big deal as I have unlimited data plan and ppc-6700. The unit works great, I love it. Oh and its also a blue tooth speaker phone, makes it great for driving and takeing calls, and you don’t have to be useing the gps part for that to work.

if it needs you to use your data plan…may as well use google maps…it’s free and all…and it gives traffic updates etc…

I own my own BT GPS receiver (smaller and better than this Garmin Receiver); can I just use the SD card from this Garmin kit and use it with my non-Garmin BT GPS receiver?

I got one for my motorola q, i love it. It works great. It comes in an sd adapter with a mini sd inside of it. No micro sd though. I heard you cant just copy the files over to a micro sd either, I havent had the occasion to try it though.

I have a Motorola Q, and you’re saying that this comes with an adapter that is a micro SD which the Q uses that you can put the mini SD into??? And to use it do you, or anyone else who uses this, have to use the data plan to use this Garmin. I do not have a data plan, nor do I plan to get one - I just want to use this as a phone, but GPS on it and not having to have the additional cost of a data plan would be great.

For normal GPS functions why would the unit need a data plan on your cell phone? The maps are on the card & the positioning is done by the satelites right?

Will this work with an iPaq 211 or does it actually check if its running on a phone?

I have this unit as well though I got it more from Amazon late last year for $99 shipped…For the record, this works quite well for my decommissioned T-Mobile iPAQ HP H6315 gsm/pda phone (no sim card). It was a tight/exact fit (larger posts are a must) though as if the Mobile 20 is so designed for it. Real nice graphics and big, easy to read fonts for the tall 3.5in touch screen…works like a charm!

One small caveat: built-in speaker is a bit small on the GPS receiver that you can barely hear the female voice prompt, even in max volume.

My old iPAQ H6315 runs the Mobile 20 on WM 2003 SE…so, yes.

I was wrong - the Q uses the mini, not the micro SD, so that does work for me, but I still wonder if you need a data plan or not for sure and it looks like it will work on a phone that isn’t currently being used with a pnone plan - did I read that correctly. I have an extra Q that’s not being used, could I use this with it? Anyone know?

How’s the speakerphone quality?

Is it possible to pair and use the speakerphone normally with a non-listed bluetooth phone (without any software on the mini-sd card)?

My wonderful wife has a Treo 800w (internal GPS) and needs a hands-free speakerphone for the car. Is this a suitable / recommended unit?

And yes… my hope is that if I actually buy a woot FOR HER, she might not notice how many of the others aren’t. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Heck yeah, it’s compatible with my PPC-6700 (aka HTC Apache, under various different names for other providers when it was cool to use letters/numbers). Probably even more so after upgrading to Windows Mobile 6.

Too bad I already have TomTom and a generic Bluetooth receiver :wink:

Is it safe to assume this will work with a Centro since it runs on the Treo?

It runs on Windows Mobile or Palm OS 5, if your phone or PDA works with one of these OS, then it will work. No data plan necessary. No phone necessary. I used this with my Palm T/X, which is not a phone and has no data plan, and it works fine.

I had some adventures getting it to work, I had to send it back to Garmin, and they said they didn’t do anything, but it didn’t work before I sent it, and it did work when they sent it back.

Anyway, I don’t have much use for a GPS usually, but I could have used this earlier this summer as we took a lot of college visits in the NE. Unfortunately, we were done by the time I got the thing working.

I’m not crazy how this works. I got the updated maps, but couldn’t get them to load properly from the DVD to the mini SD in my phone, a Motorola Q. I don’t like the interface, and I suspect it works better on a touch screen phone than it does on my phone. On the positive side, the speaker phone works well, but my phone has to be disconnected from the charger in order to use it. Not a deal breaker, but a pain in the butt nonetheless.

The windshield mount works fine, the various phone adapters work fine, the speaker phone works fine, it’s just the actual GPS software I wasn’t crazy about. The turn by turn view didn’t seem to be in sync with the verbal instructions and the other view is from too far a distance to be of much use. This could be all due to user error, or not having the latest maps, so take this complaint as a minor one.

It’s worth the $50, but if I had to do it over, I might spring for a standalone unit instead. The documentation leaves a lot to be desired, the menu navigation is a pain, and tech support is difficult, since you really need two phones to contact them and get any results, one to use the GPS to follow the tech support trouble shooting instructions, and one to talk to them.

I’ve also used a laptop with an Earthmate USB GPS, and I much prefer that, but of course it’s a little hard to attach the laptop to the windshield.

Not really. There are 4 posts that attach around the Mobile 20 to hold the phone in. They just slide onto the frame, but I guess that qualifies as minor assembly. In addition, you attach the unit to the windshield mount or the dashboard mount. No tools needed.

It is bluetooth, so it works with any bluetooth phone. If you just want a speaker phone, though, this one is pretty ugly without the phone mounted on it. You might be better off with a standalone bluetooth speaker phone. The quality on the driver’s side of the conversation is excellent, but I couldn’t comment about the quality on the listener’s side. It’s much better than the speaker built in to my phone.