Gas Cans: Gas-p!

I bought 3 of these when they were available from Woot last week. They came yesterday. My impressions:

• They are of very high quality. The wide base means it will transport well without worrying about tipping over (some plastic gas cans were designed without appreciation for such center of gravity issues). It feels like it will last a long time.

• The funnel is removable. It comes off and goes back on very easily. Since you can’t really fill it with fuel with the funnel in place, that’s a good thing.

• The handle for the hinged cap can be gripped by the same hand that holds the handle for the can itself. This means you can use your off hand to support the weight of a full gas can. It’s a way better system than having to use the off hand on the filler neck like the new “spill proof” cans.

• The funnel itself looks like it should work well with most all equipment. You can control flow rate by how you grip the handle on the cap, so you have more control than you would have with even a pre-spill proof plastic can.

Generally, I’d say if you’ve ever been frustrated with the design of current gas cans (first they eliminated the vent, then they decided to make the filler neck as poor a design as possible), then get these. The price isn’t that much higher than you’d pay at Autozone for a crappy plastic can and you’ll get a gas can that will outlive you.

So, is there any difference between the Type 1 5-gallon gas and diesel cans except the color? I. E., any reason why the yellow can can’t be used for gas, if I so choose?

The differance is only in the paint. If your gas station has an attendant they should refuse to fill a yellow container with Gasoline.

It’s also a standard in the industry (OSHA and whatnot). You don’t have to follow it, but if something happens you cant blame anyone other than yourself.

I personally hate these cans because the funnel is usually hard to put in/move and over usage/mistreatment of the funnels lead to leaks when pouring (source: I work in construction)

Also, these suckers are heavy when full so keep than in mind when pouring. As the fuel level in the can goes down, you will be holding these cans in horrible angles for a long, long time to get the fuel out since the small spout serves as a vent and an outlet.

These are great cans: make no mistake. They are designed so that fuel and vapors do not leak and cause dangerous situations and will last a long time with or without abuse. They just suck to use.

My advice: get strong enough to carry and hold ~40 pounds chest/stomach height-ish in place and a drip pan. You will be spilling no matter what until you are comfortable using these cans.

Very tempted for some diesel cans. The gas cans are $43 at Lowes btw. Yellow diesel isn’t even available.

I have 3 plastic cans, but I’ve gotten a pretty good system with them, plus I can rest them on top of the car without scratching the paint. Going to have to resist until I have garage space to store these in.

Dang it Woot, why no blue version of these? :frowning: (Blue = Kerosene). Give me blue, and I’m in for three…

A can of blue spray paint?

Great gas cans. 5 gallons of gas is heavy, but the wife never carries gas cans anyway.
Typical conversation -
(Wife, sweet voice) “Could you get some things out of the trunk for me?”
(Me, looking in trunk) “Why did you buy this stuff? It’s just going to end up in the attic anyway. How much did this cost?”
(Wife, stern voice) “I wanted it, so I got it. It doesn’t matter how much it cost. All you care about is money.”
(Me, wrestling 40 lb antique store junk out of the trunk) “Ookay…” Long period of silence.

Thank you for a PERFECT review. I am indeed fed up with the current state of plastic gas cans and the awful spouts that come on them these days. I was considering getting one of these for that exact reason and your review told me EXACTLY what I needed to hear.

As someone pointed out the last time these were on woot plus, diesel and fuel oil will eat at the zinc the steel is protected with. Not really good for diesel engines.

That said, I still own one of the metal diesel cans for diesel/fuel oil use.

I know you’re referring to the diesel cans or the ones with the plastic funnels (type I). But on the pouring fast/slow matter, the more expensive type II (here only available as a gas can) has a second hole and should allow for easier and faster pouring. (Cue double vented beverage can tv commercial.)

I found a few mentions of this online now that you said that. It sounds like it can cause the fuel to become unstable and “go bad” quicker, but can also degrade the tank itself. Straight steel or plastic seems to be preferred.

To those complaining about the newer style spouts on the cheaper tanks that you have to press into the filler neck to push a tab back to open the spout, I have found that slipping a large washer around the spout that rests on that tab always keeps the tab engaged and prevents it from slipping into the filler neck and stopping the flow. Maybe this is just a problem with my diesel car because it has a wider opening than do gas cars.

I was surprised when I heard about it too, but the person was referencing Coast Guard engine guidelines or something, and the military branches would have the track record and wouldn’t mess around with something like that.

In addition, since the diesel strips the zinc away, over time this acts to effectively varnish the inside of engine parts, particularly it seems the injection area on the newer engines (I don’t know much about diesel engines).

Another reason I’m prone to believe the general idea that diesel removes the galvanization is because fuel oil is similar to diesel, and residential fuel oil tanks tend to rust from the inside out. A simple fix to this problem would be to sell galvanized tanks, which either they know not to do because it doesn’t work, or they do sell such tanks and it still rusts out anyways because of the fuel eating the zinc away.

Did they cost less last week?