Gateway 10.1” Netbook with Windows 7 Starter

so, who’s birthday are we celebrating? The Undertaker? Louis Anderson? Steve McQueen? Joseph Barbera?

The Amazon netbook also has a 6-cell battery.

If the inability to change wallpaper has you bummed, try googling “windows starter change wallpaper.” :wink:

While I’m on the subject of Windows Starter, Microsoft gives a more complete list of what it cannot do:

Note that Windows 7 Home Premium also lacks XP mode.

Ah - this could also explain the 30GB that’s missing from my brain (sophomore year of college - all the Friday nights are gone)…

Memory repplace ment appears to be a piece of cake. As opposed to the Acer that was offered on Woot the other day.
http://support.gateway.com/s/notebook/2009/gateway/lt/lt21/LT21faq6.shtml

I’m clueless about netbooks, but I have been looking at the Dell Mini 10 on Amazon for 299. I know that the RAM is not upgradeable on that netbook. How does it compare to this one otherwise? I like the HDMI out on the Dell Mini (don’t really care about the difference in hard drive).

This or the Acer AO532h-2588?

If you’ve been holding off on getting a netbook, just do it. I got my n130 this week and its been fantastic. I will say that finding a windows 7 ultimate is not a hard search on google to do; and definitely upgrade.

sorry i had to post this, but how do i get to the page with all the sellout item, not just the 1 item page.

nvm just found it, deals.woot.com vs sellout.woot.com

The processors on the 2 models perform very similarly in benchmark tests. The batteries are also comparable. The Gateway has a bigger hard drive.

Those are the biggies, as far as I can tell.

Be careful - not all the Dell Mini 10’s have HDMI.

edit: If it’s the small stuff you’re concerned about, the read the descriptions carefully. For example, the Dell has a better webcam.

Since another poster asked about the Dell Mini 10, I wanted to add that it depends on which Z processor. I checked some websites that compared benchmark scores, and the N270 was very close to the Z530.

This sure looks like a rebadged Acer D250 with a bigger hard drive. Looks like an Acer battery in the expanded pic.

Does this come with anything besides the computer, battery and the power adapter? Or was that a dumb question since that was listed already on the main page?

I’m just trying to figure out what extras I might have to buy if I get one. I figure more memory and maybe a sleeve…that’s it.

Yes, and if it were Windows 7 Home Premium, that 30 gigabytes of missing would be 100 gigabytes of missing.

It comes with the 3 items you mentioned.

You may also want to pick up a mini mouse, if you don’t already have one.

You also got a DVD drive and a wireless mouse and a company that makes the unit. Gateway slaps a name on something and walks away. I do not trust this company from past experience. They told me a unit I had (with an obvious design defect) was “the first time” they had heard of it. A Google search showed dozens of complaints. Haven’t touched Gateway since that time.

What part # for the RAM do I buy-not sure where to get or how to find out part number or best mfr? I just ordered one-guess I will need a portable cd/dvd read/writer. Any suggestions?

ok this is my first time buying anything from woot. i bought this netbook and i was directed to a “processing” page where it never processed. so i went to my account and it says i havent bought anything. was i just a victim of online theft or what? someone, please tell me whats going on.

Acer bought out Gateway in 2007. It’s an Acer laptop with a different logo on the front.