Gateway 11.6” Netbook with 6 Cell Battery

http://static.wooters.us/images/wooters-logo-tiny.png Woot Info Post
wooters.us is a bag of crap

Gateway 11.6” Netbook with 6 Cell Battery [Refurbished] - $269.99 + $5 shipping

1 * Gateway LT3103 11.6" Netbook 1.2GHz, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HDD, Vista Home Basic, 6 Cell Battery

This post is brought to you by Wooters.us, to help make sure pricing information on the product is available in the future. We are not run by nor affiliated with Woot.

Previous Woot

How does the 1.2 Ghz Athlon compare to the 1.6 Ghz Intel Atom found in the Acer Netbooks?

CNet it up…

Not as great as the Acer 11.6" netbook series.

I have the 1.3 in my Acer. Works well.

If you’re in a university there’s still the student discount. It’s been raised several times (I vaguely recall paying less than $30 for my upgrade), but even at $65 it doesn’t seem too expensive. Of course that’s a huge chunk of this Woot’s price so YMMV.

http://www.win741.com/

I am using this little gem as we speak. It came in looking new and I loaded up Windows7 pro. Works like a charm, no complaints.
The keyboard is nice and big and the screen.

Processor isn’t very good and it’s a refurb. If it had a 9 cell battery it’d be a better deal.

It IS the Acer 11.6".

That said, I’m typing this reply on one… had it as a back-up sorta thingy for about a year. Excellent machine for the money, runs Win7 beautifully, should be 64-bit capable (processor is), but haven’t loaded it yet. Great graphics, and the screen size and resolution cinches the deal. Mine lasts 5-6 hours on a charge, mostly browsing and using VNC. Audio is decent for the size. I just don’t care for the keyboard much – while it is 100% scale (i.e. key-size/distance are the same as a full-size KB), the keys are completely flat and very dull in their response.

Still… For $275 shipped, I might get another one. I’ll be back in the morning :slight_smile:

Purchased one on a previous woot. I also have 10.1 inch Dell with atom processor and Intel 950 video. This Gateway with AMD processor and ATI video is faster and will do more. Plays WOW without any problems. Liked this so much I bought another one. First refurbed looked brand new. Put Win 7 64 bit on it and it runs fast. Going to do the same with this one.

forgive the n00b-ish question, but would it be terribly difficult to ditch vista and install any flavor of linux on this?

my wife has been looking for a notebook with this approximate screen size that we could install linux on. this is certainly within our price range too…

I can’t find this on Gateways website- they only have LT20/21…

I bought one of these back in January, and it does everything except the one thing I really wanted it to do…play 720p h.264 .mkv files. Evidently the GPU does not do hardware decoding for that format, and after trying every combination of player and codec I could get my hands on, I gave up and bought a hp dm3.

Other than that (and a mushy spacebar), I love it. I definitely like it better than the 10.1" hp mini 1030NR that it replaced, and I actually prefer this 11.6" form factor to the 13" dm3. Even Vista is not a terrible thing on this unit.

So, if you are looking for a good netbook to do everything except keep you company with a good mkv on those long airplane rides, you could do a lot worse.

This is an extensive comparison of the Gateway LT3103 to the Acer 751

It’s supported by Jolicloud which is my favorite Linux netbook OS.

Man, I was going to buy three before you pulled that dirty hypnosis trick on me…

Gateway’s 11" models are now in the EC series

http://www.gateway.com/systems/category/529598126.php

Passmark’s CPU benchmark ranks them neck-and-neck; the AMD L110 1.2 GHz scores 301 and the Intel Atom 1.6 GHz scores a 305.

With M$ Vista, be sure to always use a “Power Options” control panel profile that allows full throttle CPU; Vista really needs it. Alternatively, Ubuntu’s Wubi installer makes installing Linux a slam dunk (just download, install and reboot; there’s no need for burning nor repartitioning - w00t!). Ubuntu’s default display driver works, but download ATI’s proprietary Catalyst display driver for Linux for an improved experience.

The ATI graphics, 1366x768 screen, full sized keyboard and a double dose of memory (2GB) make this a total win over any netbook sporting an 1.6GHz N270.

I find I’m extremely sensitive to heat from even Atom netbooks, does this lappy have heat issues like previous Athlon models?