Gateway 11.6” Netbook

The most common netbook upgrade is the RAM, and you’ll spend in the ~$50 range for a 2 gig stick. This one’s already got it. The bigger, higher resolution screen, the bigger keyboard, discrete graphics, etc. is just gravy.

We’ve got four of these in the family. They’re simply awesome little netbooks.

The CPU isn’t as power-friendly as the Atom, but I’ve got a [faster speed] Atom netbook that bogs behind the AMD. Personally, I’ll give up a couple hours of battery time to gain a very much more useful machine.

Upgrading from Vista to XP (let’s face it, the only downgrade from Vista would be WinME) was a snap, as Gateway posts pretty much everything you need on their website. Would be nice to get a newer X1270 video driver, but it works fine with 3D Studio Max (yeah) and most games (had one where the background material would shimmer, but other than that, it’s fine). Just don’t go grabbing the Bluetooth driver simply because there’s a bluetooth Func button - that’s optional and not on this unit.

We had two of ours come in a little banged up, and one of them had to get shipped back to the refurb facility, but the Woot guys were all over it making sure that I knew I could call on them if I needed someone to step in and growl at the refurber. Not sure I’ve ever known a place with such great RMA and CS guys as Woot has, though I only know that because I have a deep deep black square, don’t worry. :slight_smile:

The battery sticks out the back a little, but given the choice of Acer Atom or Gateway AMD, I’d be all over this one if we didn’t have four already.

There’s a couple of batteries for sale on ebay stores, but they’re pricey. You can usually find batteries for the popular models - is this one?

What’s up writers? Spell Checker broken? Proofreader on leave of absence? Just finish the write up before midnight? I’ve never seen that many typos from woot before:

tawdy
Netfilx
seditative

Very uncharacteristic…

To be fair, Netfilx could be a new service for filking aficionados.

I got one of these a few months ago from woot. The battery didn’t work when they first shipped it, but the Seneca replaced it free of charge.

It does pretty much everything you can expect out of a netbook. The full size keyboard is definitely a plus. I usually get between 4-5 hours on a full charge using the balanced power setting. Youtube videos will be choppy unless you use the high performance setting.

So, assuming I get this notebook over the one they have on the regular woot site, can I get a spare battery somewhere (in case this one wears out)? Some people have complained about bad batteries.

Also, is the battery sacrifice worth getting this one over the acer on the woot site?

There are not as many batteries available for this as there are for the Acer, so it will be harder and more expensive to replace if anything goes wrong. The 3 cell for the Acer won’t last as long as this one for sure though. It really depends on how you will use it. If you think you will need more than 4-5 hours consistently, the Acer with a 6 cell would be better.

So…$110 for a battery.
Gateway has none, according to reviewer. This is not a popular lap/netbook. If batteries are expensive now, imagine in a year or so.
I buy this computer, battery dies, I’m out another $110 plus.
I think I’ll pass on a less battery hog battery with more accessible batteries to buy.
This is already referbished. I don’t think they replaced batteries, unless they already died. They way this thing charges and recharges batteries it won’t be long. (say a year or two…three maybe? It’s going to want a new battery.
Face it, batteries are judged on how many times they are charged. If this ones charges every 2 hours, the less the battery life.

We were just discussing this. Apparently batteries are rare for these.
Making it much less appealing.

I purchased this on woot as a refurb and it arrived looking new. Vista was terrible and slow so I upgraded to 7 pro. It runs like a charm, fast and reliable. I am also running Office 2010 Beta without any problems. Keyboard is nice and big too. The run time on the battery varies depending upon the tasks but is acceptable. Overall, I am happy with this netbook. However, I would definately recommend the upgrade to Windows 7.

For so little money, you’re better off buying a new netbook if anything breaks in a year or two. That goes for any netbook unless you paid over $500 for one. In which case, money probably wasn’t an issue anyway.

I got mine from last time it showed up on Woot. It runs perfectly well on Ubuntu with 4-5 hours of battery life. I’d imagine it running even longer in Windows 7 with the pretty stuff turned off. When the battery eventually stop working, it’ll still be good enough for my 4 and 6 yr olds with the power brick plugged in.

I Agree sir, I own this Gateway Netbook and it rules over the Acer Aspire One Hands Down!

One thing, This model does not qualify for the FREE Windows 7 upgrade!

This 6-cell Battery lasts about 5 hours under regular web surfing load.

I bought this as a Referb 2 months ago and paid $400. Well worth the price!

The Good!

• Big screen
• Huge keyboard
• 2 Gigs Ram
• 64-Bit CPU
• Big fast Hard Drive
• Good 3D video card
• Plays full Screen Divx, Xvid movies very smooth (I tried a Blu-Ray .mts file and it was choppy) . Like that really matters!

The Bad!

Windows 7 upgrade student upgrade is now $69.00.
Windows 7 upgrade makes this thing Fly!!!

Buy this over the ‘Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook with Accessory Kit’ on regular Woot!

Once you have owned it a few months, You will be glad you did!!!

A NETBOOK with Vista Home Basic? Who would run that?!?! Hopefully noone with anger issues, because else that thing is hitting the wall fairly quickly.

I recommend that if you’re gonna go for a refurbed netbook… go Asus. They are out there for a decent price and I’ve seen them on Newegg recently for less than 300 bux

For all of those inquiring about battery availability, the serial/model number for the battery is UM09B71. Googling this number provides several places online that sell it (or a compatible one) for less than $100.

Buy.com even has the 9-cell version for $50+shipping right now.

Questions about replacement battery, check out the following links:

http://cgi.ebay.com/*6cell*-battery-UM09B7C-acer-aspire-one-ZG8-ZA3-SP1-531_W0QQitemZ200437583042QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20100209?IMSfp=TL100209173003r15853

or for a 9-cell version (more battery life):

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-battery-UM09B31-UM09B34-Equivalent/dp/B003310MO2

Can the CPU be upgraded?

I notice all the links to replacement batteries list them as being for Acer netbooks. Are we sure these will fit this Gateway?