Gateway 19” Widescreen LCD Monitor

Note: This post contains pricing information for future reference because it is generally not available elsewhere once the next Woot has been offered.

Gateway 19” Widescreen LCD Monitor
$129.99 + $5 shipping
condition: Refurbished
product: 1 Gateway FPD1975w 19” Widescreen LCD Monitor

It’s always sunny in philadelphia FTW!

There are tons of great reviews for this monitor on Alatest…
http://alatest.com/reviews/monitor-reviews/gateway-fpd1975w/po3-34166141,29/

p.s. Love the IASIP screen shot. I love watchin that show on my computer via Hulu or whatever.

Champion of the sun!

So…nothing is in the box?

In the box:

I have two of these sitting in the corner of my office right now. They both lasted less than a year. After they failed, I did some research and apparently this is a very common issue with these monitors. They will all of a sudden just stop turning on or stop accepting a signal.

Do some googling, and save yourself some cash. These monitors SUCK!

Edit: Direct quote from an Amazon review

"These monitors have known issues–don’t buy!!

Read up on the web and you’ll find that these monitors die after about one year. Mine did, and Gateway isn’t doing anything about it! After I started looking, I found that many people are having the same problem with this Gateway monitor and other Gateway flat panel monitors. They just go dead! Expensive monitors should not be disposable. Don’t make the same mistake I did. I’ll never buy anything from Gateway again."

Day Man!

Uh…I’ve been huffing glue, guys.

njack88 goin in first.

i’m thinking about it…

Master of karate and friendship for everyone.

He’s a master of karate… and friendship!

Well, there’s another low-res 19" widescreen in the side-deal for the same price… better specs all-round except input is VGA only, but this one’s VGA/DVI.

Who buys a 19" 1440x900, anyhow? Can’t argue with the price, I guess…

DAY MAN!

Not interested in the monitor, but love It’s Always Sunny!

I whole-heartedly concur, good sir.

Day Man, Fighter of the Night Man! Champion of the sun

I got a 21" Gateway Widescreen monitor from work that died on me. Out of curiosity, when you plug in the power, does the LED Power indicator on the monitor blink three times or so and then die? The one I got (when it was broken) did that. I opened it up and found 10 capacitors on the power supply with bumps on them. I desoldered those and put in 10 new ones. It has worked just fine. If you plan on junking them, I wouldn’t mind taking them off of your hands (I’ll pay shipping).

But yeah, I’ve gotta say that it seems to me from what I’ve read as well that Gateway monitors have quite a few issues. Capacitor based from what it seems. Unless you feel like cracking open the monitor, desoldering a few capacitors and replacing them with new ones about a year into ownership, I wouldn’t recommend these. Then again, these refurbs could have had the capacitors replaced with good ones and thus even better than when they were bought brand new.

I guess my friend and I must have gotten a good batch because we’ve both had ours for over 2 years now and these monitors have been EXCELLENT for both of us. I’ve tried several different monitors (brands ranging from Samsung, Acer, Asus, Westinghouse, etc and sizes up to 22") and this one is still the best in terms of color quality, color depth, brightness, etc. The biggest problem I have with other monitors is that no matter how tweaking you do it still looks washed out, not the case with this monitor at all.

Just in case anyone wants to know here are my settings:
Brightness: 66
Contrast: 50
Gamma: 45
Advanced Color: Cool

I’ve played Crysis, Call of Duty 4, HD Videos (x264) and all look spectacular on this monitor!

Anyone that lives in Central FL and has seen an Appliance Direct commercial knows how ear/eye piercing it is to read/hear the phrase “In the Box”!