Gateway Athlon Dual Core 15.6” Notebook

The broken heart on the screen represents my sadness over the end of the woot-off.

Which is why I edited my first post.

“intents and purposes” is the phrase you were looking for… or maybe it was “in tents with porpoises”. :stuck_out_tongue:

“…667MHz FSB”

What? I didn’t even think they still made 667 MHz Buses anymore.

There was no crap? Lame.

But about this woot:

I’m not familiar with this notebook’s build quality, so I can’t comment there… but I can safely say that it will meet the needs of most computer users. It should be fine for all kinds of HD video (Flash and fullscreen Hulu included) and older games.
The Radeon 4200 is currently among the best integrated graphics chips available.
A 500GB HDD is on the generous side, and 4GB of RAM should be plenty for whatever you’d try to do on a laptop of this quality.

The processor is a relatively new model; Not as fast as AMD’s Phenom or Intel’s Core 2 chips, but should be plenty.

additionally on CPU–I’m typing this on an HP dv2 with a dual-core Turion Neo proc at 1.6GHz. The Turion I have is a slower, low-voltage CPU for ultraportables and it’s handled just about everything very well. The Athlon II processor in this Gateway should be even better.

I actually bought this exact refurb from tiger direct 2 weeks ago for $420, except it had a 250gig hd. And I gotta tell you, I’m loving it.

Typing on it is much better than other laptops I’ve used, I’m in love with windows 7, and it plays Torchwood with zero issues. Not the most amazing game out there in terms of graphics, but for on board graphics on a sub $500 laptop, color me impressed.

GATEWAY = PAIN IN THE ARSE

Not even close to a good deal, actually I would say a complete ripoff. I agree with everyone else saying that this laptop is outdated and expensive at its price, I think even Dell can get you a better deal right now than this.

Trust me, I’ve serviced plenty of “cows” for friends and family and they’ve never gone back to this brand.

How upgradeable is it? Can you add more RAM?

How many people Bought one of these computer thinking it was part of the Woot-Off?

LOL. I vote for “In tents with porpoises”! :slight_smile:

How intensive are those purposes?

The Radeon 4200 IS on-board (or integrated) graphics. It has some nice features for integrated, though.

To the person asking about games: Yeah, it’ll play older and more basic games. You should also be able to play some newer games with the details and/or resolution lowered. Just don’t be under the impression that this thing is built for gaming–it’s not.
You could probably manage Team Fortress 2 and World of Warcraft.

Ok, where? Give me a link, because I’ve been shopping for something better than this for under 500 for a month…

intensive purposes? :-/

From a person who hasn’t bought anything. You should not be allowed to post unitl you buy something. Go away and don’t come back until you can purchase.

You can play Pong on it.

The specs list 2x2GB RAM chips. Most notebooks (95% or so) have two RAM slots. Your only upgrade would be to replace the 2GB chips with 4GB chips, which are currently rather expensive. ($250 to upgrade to a total of 8GB)

Why would 11% buy 3 of these? And before you answer “to sell” I would remind you to read the previous 20 posts that say this is not a great deal.

It does feel like a break-up. A break-up through an e-mail, at that. Like they never really cared.

Take a look at the left view, then the closed view. One has an extra USB port, and one has a volume dial. Which is it?