Gateway Media Center PC with Intel Core 2 Quad Processor

Wootalyzer’s Pricing Post! - The price of today’s woot item is saved here for future reference

Gateway Media Center PC with Intel Core 2 Quad Processor
$459.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: Refurbished

Product List:

• 1 Gateway LX6810-01 Core 2 Quad 2.33GHz, 8GB DDR2, 640GB HDD, DVDRW, HDMI, HD Tuner, Vista Home Prem

DISCLAIMER Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

Boooooooooooooooooooo

wow, if i needed a computer… CATCH 22 WOOT!

No PCI-E 16x or 1x? and only 1 PCI? That sounds…unlikely.

Then again, if google results are any indication, gateway’s the only company that uses this chipset.

Windows Vista can use a maximum of 4GB RAM. That includes graphics memory. Therefore, of that 8GB DDR2, at most 3 GB is usable. What a waste…

Wrong again.

nice gif, props

64 bit Windows Vista supports more than 8gb maximum RAM

you are thinking of 32 bit versions

a refurb gateway in all it’s propietaryness

how nice!
And! It’s top dollar too! wooo Hooo!

I bought this PC a while back when last offered. It is pretty good, Windows Vista reports the slowest part of the PC is the RAM at 5.4 when everything else ranked 5.9. But that hasn’t seemed to impede any of the speed of playing games like WoW or online flash games. I even went out and got 2 more additional hard drives to load into the front removable bays and now have it setup in a RAID configuration. Coupled with the debranded HP 23" widescreen monitor, a gaming keyboard and mouse this is a very nice machine.

Where did you get this bit of misinformation?

eh… I bit on it.

Swap out the PCIe-16 graphic cards, put a 64 bit Win7 on it and it will rock.

this came with a 64 bit version of Vista and I was even eligible for the Win7 upgrade

Double post

I guess I’m 100% SOL for a free Win7 upgrade?

If I buy a standard Win7 upgrade can I do a clean install?

On a refurb, probably. If you’re a student you can get it for 30 bucks though.

And not only can you do a clean install, they recommend it.

If you bought this make sure it has case fans installed. If not install them. The biggest issue with these going back to Gateway was shutdowns due to overheating because Gateway had not put in any case fans in the first place (stupidity).

I bought one of these new at this same price, put in 2 fans, updated to Win7 64bit, and it absolutely rocks. It runs all day long everyday and stays super cool.

ditto. Spent about $12 bucks in cooling fans (one of them even as blue LED lights!) and now it doesn’t shut down.

This was my first “new” computer purchase ever. I’ve always owned a used 13-time rebuilt computer and this was a sweet lifestyle change! Bought a refurb 23" monitor from Dell, too. Love my new computer. No complaints.