Gemalto 4GB USB Flash Drive w/20GB Free Online Storage

So why is the sellout.woot.com front page different? I can no longer see the deals that other people usually post on the page. All I see is the one deal. Am I going crazy?

Remove cap, insert shiny end into USB port. Did they have to print a manual for that?

Gemalto lives here. They certainly have many long appendages…

You mean “tentacles”, don’t you?..:wink:

I bought the larger 8GB(50GB online)version of this back in May. so far it has worked great and has taken the abuse from carrying a wrench in the same pocket as it up to and down from the catwalk with nothing more than some faded paint that would have worn off anyways. The online storage with sharing capabilities has been a life saver at work so far. i would recommend this. its a great buy!

I already went and bought a hundred dollar one with 32 gb on it. 4gb just feels like it isn’t worth carrying around anymore, even if the memory per dollar is better, I’d have to carry 8 of these around to equal it.

Of course, I carry around lots of music, vids, and games, so for most people I suppose 4gb is just fine.

Microsoft’s Skydrive (I know, I know) gives you 25 GB free. File size limit is 50mb but you can “chunk” larger files into 50 mb “chunks”. (Makes me think of the 14.3 mb rar files we used to have to join back up back in the dial-up days.) There’s also a hard limit of 1000 transfers on each individual file. In other words if you have 10 files you can access each file 1000 times for an aggregate of 10,000 accesses.

All things to think about with any “free” online storage. TANSTAAFL.

Well, Microsoft Skydrive offers 25GB’s for free. I know some of the desktop tools have 50MB per file limitations so I don’t know if the online service does as well…

Dropbox, Live Sync, Ubuntu 10.04 and other similar services seem to stick with the 2GB number for free storage service.

Asus had a 500GB online storage thing that came with my last laptop but I noticed it was a “free for a year premium” account so I don’t use it. I think they had a free option, however.

Nokia Ovi files offers 10GB’s of “always available” storage with that service.

I bought 3, and here’s why:

1 for Clonezilla
1 for Backtrack
1 for Ubuntu

Now I can use my older drive for Windows installs and crap.

Also, I’m going to start buying these for my hotel’s when I build them business center computers. Since the configuration remains static I can just include Clonezilla and the system image on the drive, automate the recovery process, and BAM. One step rebuild that I didn’t have to do.

4gb FAT32…these would make nice boot drives for netbooks, yes?

Would this work for Readyboost on my Windows 7 system?

I love the storyline that goes along with this.

My guess is that this drive is too slow - if you open the drive in Computer then right click the drive, click on Properties, then click the ReadyBoost tab - it should tell you if it’s compatible. If it says it’s not, then run the Test Again option. Oftentimes retesting will induce compatibility.

Also, the RAM size on your computer is important. This drive being offered will accommodate up to 2GB RAM for ReadyBoost. If you have a 4GB RAM system, you would need an 8GB drive.

[Edit]: You could still use a 2GB drive on a 4GB RAM system, you just wouldn’t be getting the optimal benefit from ReadyBoost.

Sign up for Microsoft live online and get 25 G for free, can’t beat that anywhere

You want Deals.woot; not Sellout.woot

In for three, the price is right. Keep the storage…

Shipping Update

Gemalto 4GB USB Flash Drive w/20GB Free Online Storage has completely shipped via FEDEX SMART POST. All tracking has already been emailed out. You can also find your tracking number by following this link and use your ORDER NUMBER as the reference number.

FEDEX TRACKING

Received mine today, but the account setup won’t work. It seems the site it needs is down.

Test