Genie QuietLift Belt Drive Garage Door Opener

Just buy two of them.

That was a joke by the way.

I’m going to get this for my room… Instead of attaching it to a garage door I’m going to attack it to a flat screen TV mount. When I push the button my TV will go from the wall in front of my to above my bed on the ceiling! :oP

So not included then?

No garage? Two words: tie rack.

I did the same and this has been one of the BEST purchases from Woot!! I later kicked myself for not stocking up because having owned lots of rentals, I’ve had more problems (circuit board, wondering frequency, etc) with Craftsman (Chamberlain) door openers. Oh and do check out the price. This is still a great buy and with the $5 shipping… and as they say, it just doesn’t get any better than this!

I changed a couple of these out with a friend at his house. neither of us had done it before. We were done in a couple of hours. It is especially easy if one is already in place, as it could be a bit more challenging if you have to set up mounting brackets for the motor and such.
The ones that we did were chain driven.

Screw drives with metal screws are probably the most preferred when it comes to longevity of the parts, but the belt drives are normally the quietest out there.

Not hard at all. There are a lot of articles and youtube videos out there that’ll walk you through it. There’s also a pretty good instruction manual included in the box. If you already have a garage door opener in place, you’ll more than likely be able to reuse the mounting brackets in the ceiling.

Though if it’s 21 years old, you’re probably going to have to run the wires for sensors that go at the bottom of the door track so that you don’t accidentally close your door on your kids, or purposely close your door on your neighbor’s cat.

Depends on a lot of things - the weight of your door (is it aluminum or wood, is it insulated), whether the door is tensioned correctly with springs, how tall your door is, if the door has windows, etc. It shouldn’t have a problem with a standard double-sized aluminum door that’s tensioned correctly.

That’s referencing the keypad. They can get in using a code on the keypad, so that you don’t have to lend out your remotes (that come with it).

I would love to grab one of these, but my garage doesn’t have power to it yet. :frowning: Maybe I should get it anyhow as a better excuse to get it wired sooner.

I’m no handyman, no one trusts me with tools, but I’ve installed 3 garage door openers the past 5 years and I have to say they aren’t that hard. It took me about 4 hours the 1st time, most of it was running the wires for the sensors. If you are just taking one opener and replacing it with another, I think 2 hours will be all you need. Just follow the instructions.

I don’t know about Genie, but my previous garage door openers was from sears and lasted 25+ years, it still worked but was old chain drive and made too much noise.

The belt drives are as quiet as you can get.

So… I guess you’re kind of in the market for this or you’re not.

Sometimes Woot can convince me it’s time to upgrade my computer or maybe my vacuum.
But I’m not honestly thinking, “Man, I’ve been meaning to replace that apparently fine garage door opener.”

Should I just play it safe and have a new one on hand for that fateful day when I hit the button and nothing happens?

Yes. My grandma had one put in our garage 6-7 years ago, it died in 4 years. I wish there had been a spare on hand so I could have gone up for a weekend and stuck the new one in.

From my personal experiences with openers for my two houses over the years…Genie Can be the best choice, because they (mostly–check before you buy) are Still Made In The U.S.A!!
Chamberlain and Craftsman are made in mexico…and yes, I know I didn’t capitalize it!

Oh…and I have installed mine By Myself. Of course, that may be just Sad, that I don’t have any friends to help me…or I am just more capable than the rest of you! (kidding)

^^X^^

You mean tomorrow?

#myluck

Well, I did the same too… but still haven’t installed it. Oy. This has to be one of the longest-running “I’ll do that this weekend” projects I’ve ever had. Sheesh.

Man, I can’t believe I still haven’t installed this thing… but I’m sure it’s going to be redeemed as one of my best purchases from Woot! One day… one day.

■600N DC Motor (½ HPc - Horsepower comparable meets Genie’s lifting force specifications for ½ HP garage door openers)

What does 1/2 “Horsepower comparable” mean? It meet GENIE’S specs?

Something tells me that this motor is less than 1/2 HP.

Is Genie saying, “don’t worry about it; it’s good enough?”

I used to professionally install garage doors, and I have to say I’m not a fan of Genie. The ones I saw were poor quality, and figuring out how to work them was a pain. Personally, I much prefer a Chamberlain opener. Easier to install, less likely to screw up. I replaced quite a few Chamberlain openers that had lasted 10-20 years and were only being replaced because the owner wanted something quieter.

Depends on a lot of things - the weight of your door (is it aluminum or wood, is it insulated), whether the door is tensioned correctly with springs, how tall your door is, if the door has windows, etc. It shouldn’t have a problem with a standard double-sized aluminum door that’s tensioned correctly.

It is steel, hurricane reinforced. No windows. Can’t find weight…

I put one of these in as a replacement in December. It was very straight forward and I saved some time by being able to use the wire to the button and the safety eye from the previous opener. The belt drive is much quieter than the old chain drive. The only issue we had was the Homelink interacting with a 2004 Buick. It would only work once in a while and/or with much less range than with a Honda. I think it may be GMs problem though as they are not including the opener buttons at least on mid level vehicles now. I don’t think I paid this much, but that was after a store rebate. The fobs on moofi are a great deal. Great for grandparents/kids that can’t work the keypad, or to take with the bike.

What’s the reference in the write-up? I don’t get it.

The other Genie model which is one step down is actually $30 more expensive than this offer. The same model WOOT! is selling here is $45 cheaper compared to the same model offered on the Genie web site. It even comes with a 10 year motor warranty.

Genie website

Now, is it reprehensible for me to return a garage door opener my brother gave me for a b-day present to buy 2 of these???