Genie QuietLift Belt Drive Garage Door Opener

You can’t even buy a one room studio for $55,000 in Manhattan, NY.

Families had to move out of their houses and into their friends garages. So this would be pretty handy to open the garage door quietly and not wake the kids.
I have a belt drive and they are much quieter than chain.

I have one of these installed. I got it on sale at Lowes or HD for about forty bucks more but It was installed for half price. They are quiet. The trick is the metal tracks should be clean and lubed. My neighbors have commented that my garage door is ninja like.The Genie keychain openers they have sold here recently here work well with this model.

Paid 28500 for similar in Pittsburgh last year. :slight_smile:

Can you buy a coat closet?

Please, just stop drinking, it’ll be better for everyone involved. Clearly.

People still buy coats?

+1

My garage opener is awful. This is tempting, but I just bought a sewing machine and serger last night.

My parents had this opener and it really worked great. It was quiet, smooth, and reliable. I was skeptical of the durability of a belt-driven opener, but it seemed to work very well.

This one for $135 shipped or the Craftsman for $220 + taxes + shipping? Or do you have some secret source to get the craftsman for about the same price?

Closing on an 1850 SQF HUD home for $65K in the next week. Has a large garage that was converted from a car port. I’d hop on this but the garage has a large support beam that runs across the garage a few feet from the door and I’m not sure a standard door opener will clear it…

Was curious about the Home Link, googled it.

http://www.mitocorp.com/homelink-auto-dimming-mirrors.html

Some VERY expensive mirrors that will learn up to 3 Homeink compatable devices including gates. One that is $729.00 that has a backup camera display in the corner of the mirror, autodimming, compas and something called “Amber PRNDL light” Park, Reverse Nutral, Drive Low?? Why would I need that on a mirror?

“HomeLink®, developed by Johnson Controls, Inc., the world’s leading supplier of automotive seating and interior systems, has grown to become one of the auto industry’s most recognizable brands. It is currently available as a factory-installed or optional feature on over 140 different vehicles.”

“HomeLink®, the Wireless Control System that learns the codes for up to three remote control devices, is now available in an auto-dimming rearview mirror through MITO Corp. No more fumbling to find the remote control. No more crowded visors with multiple remotes for garage door openers, security lights and entry gates. Now all these devices can be operated with dedicated buttons integrated into a auto-dimming rearview mirror equipped with HomeLink®.”

After we installed it, my dad went outside to test the programming on the remote to see if it would close, and I stayed inside to check the sound. I heard nothing, and walked out there expecting him to say that the programming didn’t work, but lo and behold, the garage door was closed and he had a big smile on his face!

Reading the comments here and in the previous Woot, I kind of get the impression that pretty much everybody has had a bad experience with an opener. Half of the comments are “Buy This, not That”. The other half are “I’m a professional, and you should install what we install. Everything else sucks.”

Well, look, I’ve had experiences with at least four openers. Two of them have failed. I don’t honestly think their brand matters. Garage door openers fail. Garage DOORS fail. It happens.

But you can minimize the problems if you treat your opener right. The opener track should be straight. The door should be properly adjusted and lubricated. The tracks and springs should be in good shape. If you have a tough time opening your door, then your opener is going to have a tough time, too.

If you want your opener to fail less, have an opener professionally installed, your door professionally maintained, and do some regular maintenance on it. It’ll cost more, but it should last longer.

All that said, I think I’m going to pick one of these up and install it myself. At this price, I can put off calling a pro for another year or two.

Well,This recent 4-star review on Amazon claims that “Now that it’s installed and working well I do like it and the quietness and overall ease of use.”

So did I just make a sale for Woot? I think I should get 47 Quality Posts as commission. Or 1 Bag o’ cr.ap…

A lot of newerish cars feature homelink built into their consoles somewhere so that you can hit their built in button instead of having a garage door opener button clipped to your sunvisor.

Something smells fishy about this opener. Why doesn’t it specify the HP of the motor? Methinks they geared down a wimpy motor and called it quiet. Of course it will be quiet when you wait an hour for it to open or close.

I’m not buying it, especially if the ‘N’ in 600N means Newton, and the 600 is the measure. 600 Newton = 135 lbf. OTH, 1/2 HP = 275 ft-lbf/sec. So this opener would have to lift the garage door 2 feet in 1 second in order for this to be ‘comparable’. I’ve never seen an opener move that fast.

After shopping for openers, I found that Most of the Genie brand openers are Still Made in the U.S.A. while Chamberlain and Craftsman are from China.
Sometimes you will find a China-made (cheaper) Genie, as I did at Home Depot, so you have to pay attention.
That is, If you care about buying American…which I did!

^^X^^

(Edit: I should clarify that I Did See the cheaper model, but Bought the USA-made one!)

Can you read? Says plain as day in the description, it’s a 1/2 HP.

For a truly silent door, you need two things. This Woot is one of them: a belt-drive garage door opener. The second thing is that you need to replace the metal rollers on your garage door with nylon ones. The combination of those two things makes a truly silent door, It’s almost unbelievably silent.

Now changing all the rollers is kind of a big job. In my case, I’m not going to do it… but when it’s time to replace the garage door itself, the new one will be equipped with nylon rollers. In the meanwhile, this new opener (Woot!) will eliminate the bulk of the noise.

I live in a one-bedroom apartment, don’t have a car & don’t drive. Would this be good for my hope chest? (I’m 62 1/2.) Could I use it on my kitty’s litterbox? I must need it somehow.