Geyser Peak Bin Cabernet Sauvignon (2)

Geyser Peak Bin Cabernet Sauvignon 2-Pack
$99.99 $160.00 38% off List Price
2006 Geyser Peak Bin 10 Cabernet Sauvignon, Alexander Valley
2007 Geyser Peak Bin 11 Cabernet Sauvignon, Alexander Valley
CT links above

Winery website

13 minutes until the first sucker and it’s not Mill. Wonder what he’s up to tonight?

Sounds delicious. If first sucker were still open???

These are intriguing but I’m not about to drop $57 a bottle on a real unknown. Any notes out there?

The winemaker listed is ondine Chattan, can we get some info on her? It would tell us what type of wine they were shooting for. New world / old world. Also, in wine.woot of old fashion if we can get a sellout will she sign the bottles?

Yeah - Quite the legend, eh? It’d be neat to someday hear about, or at least see the wine cellar!

If this is Mill on CT… clearly never set anything up!
https://www.cellartracker.com/user.asp?iUserOverride=33634

I’m pretty much a wine novice but would like to ask you guys a question, as I figured that if you are posting on wine woot you are at least a knowledgeable wine fan if not a connoisseur. I’m not trying to hijack the discussion from the listed wine, if you feel that this question is out of line or taking from the current woot I completely understand. My question is this - if I really like a wine from a certain region of a certain valley, is there a good chance that a wine from the same region/valley will be similar? For instance, I really like this Cab from the Oak Knoll region of Napa Valley but it is a little pricey - would a different vineyard from the same region by definition be similar? The obvious answer is ‘taste them and see’ lol, but thought I would ask anyway

I think what you get is the chance that similar wine varietals will have had the same growing season. The problem is that different vineyards use different clones (with different attributes), and different winemakers will treat the grapes differently. A wine barreled for 18 months in new French oak won’t be the same as one barreled for 12 months in used American oak. At this point, I’m starting to make stuff up, so I’ll stop.

Short answer - in theory, yes. The Oak Knoll AVA (and all appellations) are created because their wines are unique to the larger region - producing what should be a wine that represents the Oak Knoll “terroir.”

However, in Napa moreso than other regions, winemakers seem to be very involved in the winemaking process, and the resulting bottles can be quite manipulated. Nothing wrong with “crafting” a wine when you need a consistent product - but you find yourself with wines that represent a “House Style” - vs a wine that truly represents the appellation.

My palate veers away from Napa (Corison, Dunn, etc excluded) - so I can’t speak to specific producers - but this board is filled with Napa experts, so if you could explain what it is about the specific bottle that you’re into - they’ll steer ya well.

Fwiw, some previous notes on the 2006 from another site:

Come on over to WoWW and find the CyberPub of the week.
We’re all learning all the time.

No rats, no CT notes, no reviews to be found online. This is over $50/bottle. I can buy some really good bottles for that. This has my interest, but going to have to pass.

The whole Aussie, fruit forward, big robust, 60% new oak sure suggests huge CA fruit/oak bomb.
Great if you like that style. CT notes even more useless than normal.
Anyone pull a cork on either of these?

I can’t give any notes on these wines (10 and 11), but I have had Bin 7 and 8. In fact, I opened a bottle of bin 8 on Friday and drank it over two nights. It had a great nose and a strong vegetal component that blew off after a couple of hours. I really enjoyed it and would certainly place it on the “Cali Cab that qualifies as old world even though you would probably guess CA and not France if you tasted it blind” slot on the old/new world spectrum. I didn’t give it a score at the time, but I would give it a 92 from memory. That said, that was an '02 made by a different wine maker, so this might be pretty different.
If you want a little more color on this sale, the bin series was a super small project at geyser and very little of this saw retail shelves. I really like the concept of a commercial winery trying to make the most interesting wine they can without worrying about mass sales. When Geyser was sold the new owners decided to dump all the inventory, so that’s why this is here.
I can’t recommend a wine I haven’t tried, but I bet this is very good. I would want to see a better discount before pulling the trigger here.

60% new French oak doesn’t necessarily mean fruit/oak/vanilla bomb. Cabernet soaks up oak pretty well. And many a Bordeaux uses/used 100% new oak even before Parkerization. But like you say, we don’t know. A tasting note or two would be nice.

The BIN series has been one of the top wines Geyser Peak produces. It’s not made every vintage, only when the winemaker feels there is exceptional fruit, and in very small quantities. Started by former GP Winemaker Daryl Groom years ago, the concept was a hold over from his Penfolds days. Ondine has continued the tradition and it drinks in a Bordeaux-style and they’re big wines. Most of our long-time BIN buyers know to get it when they can and they lay it down for a few years. You’ll want to decant it before serving as well.

This is a winery-exclusive, never goes into distribution so it doesn’t go out for scoring/rating. We make such a small quantity of this wine, usually gets scooped up by club members. Take our word for it; it’s worth buying. Get a couple of the 2-packs and lay it down, it won’t disappoint.

Sorry jonahp, but you’re incorrect. The new owner’s have not “dumped” any wines. We are offering this to the WOOT community as it’s one of our top wines, thought you would all appreciate a great Cab. This wine retails for $75 at winery and is only found at the winery. You’re getting it for a steal!

Thank you for your info on this wine. It convinced me to pull the trigger.