Gifts For Pets

Take a look at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ARUKTG. Although he isn’t usually a chowhound like yours, I got it for my 25-pound dog’s mental and physical stimulation, and he loves getting his evening kibble ration in it. There’s a bit of a learning curve, but it allows you to gradually increase the degree of difficulty as your pup catches on. It’s very easy to fill and clean too. The only minor hassle is having to put down a couple of rolled-up towels to corral the action, so that it doesn’t roll into inaccessible corners.

I got this for my German Shepherd: http://www.amazon.com/Aikiou-Interactive-Dog-Bowl-Blue/dp/B00363HVE6

He figured it out very quickly but it slows him down and got rid of the post-meal belches. It’s worth noting that I got the aikou because the nina toys were so expensive. at these prices, though, I’m planning on getting 1 or 2 of the ninas as well to provide more of a challenge.

Does anyone have any experience with GleePet cat trees? How’s the quality? Thanks.

I’d like to know as well. I’m a bit put off that the covering is faux fur and not carpet (as commenter above pointed out). Also (serious question) does anyone know where I can get a safe “cat warmer”/heating pad kind of thing? Our oldest is about to turn 18 and really could use some extra heat. Her poor old bones are not liking the change in temperature even here in South Florida. Don’t want to use regular heating pad as a friend’s house burned down that way …

I have no cat-experience with the cat trees in this sale, but I recently got this thing for my kitten for her first winter, and of course she doesn’t seem to give a flip. It was recommended to me by another cat owner though whose cat does love it and I bet once it does get colder (or my stupid cat gets older) she’d love it.

I got one of these Petsafe heated beds (http://www.amazon.com/Heated-Wellness-Sleeper-Small-23/dp/B005N01BR8/) in the “small” size about 7 years ago, when I had a 15-year-old cat whose joints were starting to stiffen. She loved it, as did the 3-year-old-without-stiff-joints. The old girl passed, but the bed still works 7 years later, and both my cats (the now-10-year-old-but-still-without-stiff-joints, and a spry 5-year-old) love it, often preferring it over my lap. I call it “the electric lap.” And I leave it plugged in 24/7 once the weather starts getting cool, obviously never had a problem.

I have little flannel pillows filled with uncooked rice that I put in the microwave for my feet on cold winter nights. My dog absolutely loves them. I bet your cat would appreciate it. No electricity, so no chance of it burning things down.

Also, I am surprised so many people here have dogs who don’t love antlers. I have to hide them from my dog and only take them out on special occassions (going to the vet, for instance) because they are her favoritest thing in the world.

For those curious about the cat trees, Amazon does have a few (7 total, all of which are Verified owners) reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st?keywords=gleepet&qid=1386027129&rh=k%3Agleepet%2Cn%3A2619533011&sort=reviewrank_authority

Largely positive. The one negative review complains it is cheaply made, and in fact one of the positive reviews appears to concur. Woot price is about 25% better than Amazon price.

Our two kittens (12+ pounds at 8 months… you decide if they are kittens) have somewhat outgrown their old cat tree (an Armarkat off of Amazon - we love it) and this looks like the best-priced cat tree I have seen for its size. I think I’m going to splurge.

Good to know they make more challenging ones - I haven’t seen those before! But we’ll stick to disc, agility, competition obedience, nosework, and tricks to keep her mind and body busy. Helps keep my mind and body busy, too!

I have the automatic pet feeder, although its annoying to set because of the complicated controls it works FANTASTIC. I used it 2 feed to cats when I travel for work and I’ve been gone 6 days at a time, and it would feed them twice a day as set on the clock. Highly recommend.

I was going to purchase one of the dog scratchers. But after a close analysis he doesn’t have thumbs so I don’t think he’ll be able to grasp the handle

You can buy special heating pads at Petsmart or someplace like Drsfosterandsmith.com (sp?). They also sell beds with a zipin heating component. My cats looove them!

Good catch!:smirk:

The Snuggle Safe that @Agingdragqueen mentioned is on sale today at link provided.
{I order from them all the time, they are legit} Yesterday it was a couple bucks less :frowning: But it’s still a very very good price.
I used it for my geriatric cats. Stays warm for 12 hours . Wrap it in a fuzzy blanket or tuck it in their bed. It’s weird that it’s hard, but they would snuggle up to it or on it if I wrapped it in a blanket. Also came in handy w/ a stray that I had in my garage before I could get her rehomed.
I must confess, that now my senior cats are gone,and I have young adults. I use it for me. I warm it up and tuck it under the covers and my bed is so nice and toasty to crawl into on these cold winter nights !
IOW even if your cat doesn’t like it, you will, so you won’t be out anything.

I have a different brand of auto-feeder, but I love it, too. I initially got it for a short trip, but I kept using it so the cats wouldn’t dance on me at 6AM when they wanted breakfast and I wanted sleep. Took the older one 6 months to realize there would be food in the bowl even if I was still in bed, but the younger one only took 3 months to figure out the schedule so she could be first in line.

I admit these two cats would probably be riding the short bus if they went to school.

I do recommend finding an AC adapter that works with your model. The battery life was well under what was advertised for my unit, and once I got a $15 adapter, it was something less to worry about the batteries crapping out while I was out of town.

Are the posts of the cat trees covered in sisal, or faux fur as well? My cats love the heck out of sisal posts, and I can’t tell for sure from the pictures.

Hey Woot, where’s the love for those of us with fish and hamsters as pets? Actually I think the hamsters are my dog’s pets as they’re mesmerized every time they get access to the living room to visit them.

I’m asking. I can’t tell from the pics either.

Update: The posts are covered with sisal rope.

Suggestion passed on.

I’m trying to gauge the size of the cat trees as compared to my cat…

How big is the big fluffy white cat in the pictures?

The bottom box of the 70-inch cat tree with some soup cans for reference.

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/825512948.jpg?1386117189

This is the upper box (I tied ribbons on so they could play with them.)

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/825513237.jpg?1386117413

These kitties are “medium.”