Gimp or Photoshop?

So I’ve been wondering while looking at everyone’s entries in the contests, which do you use “The GIMP,” Photoshop or other? Do people find better features in one over the other? Has anyone done a lot of work with both, and if so what do you think about them? I myself use The GIMP though I used to do a fair amount of work with Photoshop. I’ve found that they both have a lot of plugins and both come with a wide variety of effects/filters and the like. But what you think, is there basicly no difference? What are the strenghts of one over the other?

Damn I found this by accident. How did I even get here? Everything else?

I use PhotoShop. What is “The GIMP”?

If you’ve used both, the differences should be obvious unless you’re only doing basic tasks.

GIMP’s main advantage over Photoshop is its scripting language.

Photoshop’s advantages are numerous. (I’m referring to Photoshop CS2; older versions and Photoshop Elements don’t have all of CS2’s features.) Here are just a few:

Photoshop has better layer control. Layers can be grouped together so an entire group can be hidden or transformed all at once. And the group of layers can be collapsed in the layers window; using GIMP usually results in a long unwieldy list of layers. Don’t confuse this with a “grouping layer” which provides alternative ways to create masks. And Photoshop has adjustment layers, allowing you to adjust colors or create other effects while preserving the layer you’re adjusting. Adjustment layers also can be applied to groups of layers. In addition, smart guides make layer alignment much easier than with GIMP’s align visibile layers menu.

Photoshop also has smart objects that allow nondestructive scaling, rotating and other transformations. Like adjustment layers, they preserve the data in the original layer.

The last time I looked, GIMP only supports 8 bits of color per channel and doesn’t have any healing tools or vanishing point.

and now we see why mnementh wins so many photoshop contests!! :wink:

1 isn’t many :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote user=“McGuffy”]Damn I found this by accident. How did I even get here? Everything else?

[/quote]

Damn I found this by accident. How did I even get here? Everything else?

If you’ve used both, the differences should be obvious unless you’re only doing basic tasks.

GIMP’s main advantage over Photoshop is its scripting language.

Photoshop’s advantages are numerous. (I’m referring to Photoshop CS2; older versions and Photoshop Elements don’t have all of CS2’s features.) Here are just a few:

Photoshop has better layer control. Layers can be grouped together so an entire group can be hidden or transformed all at once. And the group of layers can be collapsed in the layers window; using GIMP usually results in a long unwieldy list of layers. Don’t confuse this with a “grouping layer” which provides alternative ways to create masks. And Photoshop has adjustment layers, allowing you to adjust colors or create other effects while preserving the layer you’re adjusting. Adjustment layers also can be applied to groups of layers. In addition, smart guides make layer alignment much easier than with GIMP’s align visibile layers menu.

Photoshop also has smart objects that allow nondestructive scaling, rotating and other transformations. Like adjustment layers, they preserve the data in the original layer.

The last time I looked, GIMP only supports 8 bits of color per channel and doesn’t have any healing tools or vanishing point.

and now we see why mnementh wins so many photoshop contests!! :wink:

1 isn’t many :stuck_out_tongue: