Giordano Libero Bike (2 Choices)

This is a pretty good deal. If I didn’t have a road bike already, I’d totally grab this.

Says fits riders up to 63" for the red and 62" for the pink one. So, basically, for kids or really short people.

Any info on maximum weight. A fatty like myself would like to take up biking to be less…myself. That is as long as the height limit isn’t really 5 foot 3.

According to Amazon…it’s a kids (Boy or Girl) bike… http://www.amazon.com/Giordano-Libero-Boys-24-Inch-Wheels/dp/B0060PJXO8

This is definitely an adult bike. According to the woot description this bike is a 56cm (road bikes are measured by their top tube) which would fit riders 5’10" to 6’. The wheels are also listed as 700c- the standard for road bikes. The frame and wheels are no-name brand and the components are the lowest quality line shimano makes but for $250 this is quite the deal.

This looks like the kind of bicycle they use in races by professionals on TV. Are there any differences? Can’t imagine there is much, they both got 2 wheels, seat and a steering bar.

Someone from woot really needs to clarify Thunder? princess? Queen?

The features tab says War inch wheels, but the specs tab shows 7x25 tires. 700 tires, if I am not mistaken, are about 28 inches in diameter.

Hang on. I’m calling.

Remember when buying this that professional assembly is recommended, and this is one of those cases where I really, really recommend it unless you know what you’re doing.

Assembly will likely involve putting on the wheels, pedals, seat, and handlebars; there may be a few other odds and ends (like reflectors) you need to take care of. You also should make sure it’s adjusted – both mechanically (e.g. the shifting is smooth) and for fit.

You can muddle through with some basic tools and basic mechanical knowledge, but – unless you know what you’re doing – I really recommend letting the pros handle it. An adjustment of a millimeter can mean the difference between a smooth-shifting, quiet-braking joy of a ride and a clanky, janky, frustrating cobweb-holder.

Also expect that after about a month of riding, you’ll need to re-tune it. Cables stretch, things get broken in, and there are usually a few tweaks to get everything smooth again.

The downside here is the cost - likely at least $100 for a fit and assembly at a good bike shop, probably another $50 for the first-month tuneup.

For an avid cyclist with a growing kid that wants to hang in the paceline, this looks like it might be an interesting contender. But you already knew that.

For an average (but small-framed) schmuck without experience with building and/or adjusting bikes who wants to get a bike for themselves, or an average-framed schmuck who wants to get a bike for their kids: Go to your local bike shop. I don’t think you’ll be happy with this one.

I’ve never heard of a bike having a weight limit. metals these days are very strong I’m quite sure most bikes would hold pretty much anyone. just keep the tire pressure up to avoid flats from hitting bumps or holes.

I suspect that this is indeed a 24" wheel bicycle, therefore meant for kids or really short adults.

If so, the specifications they give are wrong and http://www.amazon.com/Giordano-Libero-Boys-24-Inch-Wheels/dp/B0060PJXO8 would give the correct specifications.

Note that 24" road tires and tubes are quite rare. You’ll probably have a hard time finding them – you’d probably have to have them custom ordered when the time comes to replace them (or get them at the local recumbent bicycle shop, which often carries more oddball sizes.)

(24" tires aren’t particular rare, but they’re usually fat, made for kid mountain bikes. Smaller road bikes (for larger children or shorter adults) generally use 650c or 26" tires, not 24".) (Or they’ll just use the standard 700c tires and just change the geometry of the bike a lot to make it work.)

Heh, 30 minutes into this and there’s only one buyer.

First Sucker: Centerforce8
Last Wooter to Woot: Centerforce8

(Personally, I’d suggest holding off on buying it until you can verify exactly what it is is you’re buying. I’ve made my guess, but you can’t be sure …)

Yeah… don’t be discouraged by this guy. Putting the finishing touches on a new bike isn’t exactly rocket surgery. Yes, you need some tools. Yes, there will be some trial and error. Quite frankly though stuff goes wrong with mechanical objects, these are skills you need to know anyway. Your LBS is a valuable resource, but don’t be scared away by the ‘oooh, it’s too hard’ mongering above.

If you don’t know where to start I’d go here. Sheldon Brown has passed, but he left an amazing legacy of information:
http://sheldonbrown.com/

Definitely not any differences. The extra $3000 for a triathalon-level bike is for the paint job alone. Same materials, components, comfort, weight, etc. But the paint job makes a huge difference.

Hello Wooters, bicycle mechanic and avid cyclist here.

20" & 24" road bikes are youth sizes.

650’s are youth, small adult, as well as specialty bikes.

700’s will come on 99% of adult sized road bikes.

As for the bike in question, if the title and photos are correct, than its a youth bike. With a double ring in the front and an 8speed in the rear. I had the same shifters on my first road bike and they are very nice entry level shifters. Perfect for a child to learn on and still come on many adult entry level bikes. Although I am unfamiliar with the brand, but at the price and the components the bike are equipped I think its a great deal.

Actually they’re about as far apart as a Kia and a Lamborghini. I’m not saying this is a bad deal at all, it’s actually a decent price. While it’s not a steal, it IS worth buying if you just want something for scooting around the city or the occasional country road cruise, but it doesn’t come close to the quality of an average road bike, let alone a professional racing bike. And if you’re the type of person who leaves their bike locked up outside to rust, you won’t feel as bad as if you left a $1,000 bike out. Get it to cruise, but don’t expect too much more out of it.

This. I’d take it to the LBS to get the rims tensioned because they’re likely to come a bit wonky, but other than that assembly and fine-tuning isn’t too hard as long as you follow the instructions I assume come with it. When I built my road bike I just brought a few Allen wrenches and a screwdriver along on my first ride and stopped and made small adjustments whenever something felt off. After about 20 miles I was good to go.

That just might be, since I do see some parts of this bicycle not being painted, like the wheels, chain-holder, and the levers under the black grab handles. But that can’t be that much more in price, unless the inside of the pipes used to make the triathlon bicycles are painted also.

I agree, I could completely disassemble and reassemble any bike by the time I was 12 years old and I didn’t require any teaching. You’ll need some tools, but probably not any specialty tools. It’ll probably be easier than assembling furniture from Ikea.

There needs to be a better way to detect sarcasm via text.