Giornata Gemellaia Red Blend (2)

Giornata Gemellaia “Super Paso-an” Red Blend 2-Pack
$54.99 $100.00 45% off List Price
2011 Gemellaia Central Coast Red Blend
CT link above

Winery website

Comments about the winemaker:

No comments about the specific vintage, but some interesting info about the winemakers and other vintages of this blend. Seems promising.

The above article mentions the 2007 vintage of this blend:

“2007 Giornata Gemellaia (Whitehawk and Margarita Vineyards) – $30: Another red wine blend, inspired by super tuscan wines, this is a real crowd pleaser: lucious, ripe fruit driven wine with enough acidity to compliment food. 75% sangiovese, and the rest merlot and petite verdot. The name is Brian & Stephy’s shout out to their daughters — “gemelli” is the italian word for twins.”

Brian from Giornata here to answer questions for a bit and tomorrow too.

http://underthegrapetree.com/?tag=giornata

Some more praise (though this time for the 2009 vintage):

“Giornata Gemellaia Red California 2009. Grade=Amazing. An impressive homage to the “super-Tuscan” style, this blend of Sangiovese, Merlot and Petite Verdot is rich, dense and concentrated with bold tannins, slight chocolate, baked cherries jubilee and blackberry coulis.”

Has anyone tried it? Love to see some rat notes.

Previous Offer of an earlier vintage as part of a 3-bottle sampler pack.

I’m somewhat surprised by the merlot percentage in this super tuscan style blend. When I think of this type of blend I usually think of 70-80% Sangiovese and the rest cab or bdx blend to stiffen up the backbone a bit.

Why add so much merlot?

I read stuff and answered my own question. Super Tuscan has no typical grape percentage and does not have to have Sangiovese in it at all. It could actually be 100% merlot. The name is more indicative of a style of wine.

I believe the term “super Tuscan” is a purely marketing term. I think it was penned by someone at Wine Spectator to describe the modern style wines (i.e. non DOC, containing non traditional varietals like Cab, merlot, etc) coming out of Tuscany in the 80’s.

I happened to come across the wine the other night in my cellar.

2011 gemellaia by Giornata.

Served at 61 degrees right out of the cellar. Given its youth, we poured through a Vinturi into a decanter.

Deep, red-purple color, no brownish hue typical of many Tuscan wines.

Bouquet was initially muted but blossomed into some subtle cherry notes typical of Sangiovese. Nice leg forming viscosity.

The wine is medium to heavy on the palate and quite tannic. The relatively large Petite Verdot component is clear. Not quite Tuscan but much less fruity than is typical for Paso. The winemaker has made a conscious effort to avoid over extraction and it shows.

The wine complemented barbecue chicken Kabobs quite nicely.(Certainly not an ideal pairing but the best I could do at short notice)

My wife and I enjoyed the wine quite a bit and at the Woot price it is a good, if not screaming deal.

I applaud the winemaker for going well outside the Paso box but at full price ($50) I think one could do better with the genuine Tuscan article.

Thank you!

Even earlier in fact, it was the likes of Tignanello and Sassicaia in the early 70’s that gave rise to the term. But yep, it was winemakers that didn’t want to abide by the rules in Tuscany governing allowed grape varieties.

I worked for Isole e Olena in Tuscany and their super - Tuscan called “Cepparello” is 100% sangiovese. At the time pure sangiovese fell outside the doc rules for Chianti.

Love me some Cepparello. When were you there?

Thank you for the thoughtful review. Gemallaia is a blend of our top barrels which we limit to 100 cases. I think given more cellaring the wine will more closely resemble some of our Tuscan counterparts. Our research has involved stints working and travel all over Italy with the hope to give an Italian touch to California fruit.

Pricing is a tricky thing and as some of our fruit prices have nearly tripled in the last few years we have mostly absorbed those costs in lower margins - especially with a woot offer.

At this price we were only able to offer a small amount to woot and did so mainly because I like the guys so much. We will sell out of this wine before the next vintage is released so that makes me believe the pricing is fair.

This is the one wine we will be pouring this wine Friday night at the Paso Robles Wine Festival Reserve Tasting for those who will be around. Or you can visit us this weekend to taste it.

I worked harvest in 2003 which was a hot one. I just had 2009 the other night and that wine to me is just perfection. Hoping to get my hands on the '10 vintage soon.

Paolo De Marchi has inspired me tremendously. I could go on for days about the simple stuff I learned at Isole that shapes my production today.

I see I’ve got a '10 from a 2012 woot of this in the cellar.
I was still thinking young, so the ever present question.

Just when should these (the '10 and '11) peak for consumption for one that likes some age and tends to avoid extracted fruit.

And can you provide some additional lab specs for these; pH, TA, RS?

TIA

I bet that was quite the experience. So now I have to ask if you have any thoughts on the 2003? I’ve had one staring me in the eye for some time now to try and have yet to pull the trigger.

(sorry for the continued thread drift)

Hi,

Glad to see you’re actually aging one of our wines. I checked, but don’t have final numbers for pH, TA, RS. I usually only test this stuff if I think there might be a problem. That being said I would guess pH is around 3.5 -3.6 based on component #s with negligible RS.
I like to tell folks that we make the dryest wines in Paso.

As far as drinking window: I just had a 2007 from my cellar that showed great and that was a very ripe vintage. I could see the '10 drinking great in '17 - '20. Storage is really the key to aging wine. A cool cellar where the wine never gets moved is important.

Brian