Gladiator 66.5-Inch Bamboo Modular Workbench

Excellent, so this bench should continue to get larger over time. ‘Modular’ is an understatement.

It not going to be “solid bamboo” as an earlier comment stated. Bamboo is a hollow tube. To make planks they cut several culm lengths, slit it and unroll it. Then they laminate layers together with resin most likely changing the strand orientation for each layer. This is done till the appropriate thickness is achieved. There is one other manufacturing method where the culms are oriented vertically forming a “cutting board” look, but this table top appears to utilize the former. If it’s of a good quality bamboo it’s probably either Moso or Japanese Giant Timber bamboo.

How tall are you? I like the look of it as a standing desk, but I’m 6’1" I wonder if it’s tall enough.

WE ALL NEED TO KNOW WHAT THE SOAP KITCHEN IS, @Crombie!

It sounds like we built the same workbench. Mine is still going strong after 13 years of constant abuse. I did “line” the top and sides of the top with 1/8" plywood to protect it, figured it would be cheap & easy to remove/replace if ever needed. I still have the building plans for this if anyone wants them.

My girlfriend wants a island in the kitchen… DONE.

As someone else noted, bamboo is not wood, it is a grass. As for wood itself:

The treatment and finishing the wood has nothing to do whether it is classified as “hardwood” or “softwood.”

Though that link provides the official definition of “hardwood” and “softwood” it also notes you can have soft hardwood (balsa, as the article denotes) and hard softwood, yellow pine being the first one that comes to my mind. That is a “softwood” that is so hard that the stuff I worked with a few years ago had to be predrilled before I could nail it.

True, you can “harden up” the surface of a softwood with a hard finish such as polyurethane, but is still no substitute for using an actual hard wood for something like flooring or a workbench.

Post away - I need a workbench in my new shed and the guy I was going to get to build it for me just shipped out.

What!! 184.99 Has woot gone nuts…I built a great work bench for less then $50.00

Can you use it as a pillow?

Bamboo Memory Foam Hypoallergenic Pillow

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/122270/ebay---bamboo-memory-foam-hypoallergenic-pillow

I do I do, also…I was married on Windansea beach in 2008 :slight_smile: Can you post a link to the plans? Let me know…

Why not try a glass top work bench? It goes very well in keeping with your other appropriate building materials.

I also want to know about the soap kitchen -
my wife makes handmade soaps so i’m interested to know your plans if this is related to soap making

That feature that gives bamboo the above characteristics is that it’s tubular in its natural state and hollow in the center. This maximizes bamboo’s strength while reducing bamboo’s weight. This is why bamboo can be used to construct foot bridges and huts to live in with good results. The work bench top does not use bamboo in its natural state.

The 300 lbs is a typo. Their website claims 3,000 lbs.

I was thinking this myself.

cough Morning wood… /cough

http://greenmenu.org/wp-content/uploads/Soap-Kitchen-picture-2-e1377897868825.jpg

Is a soap kitchen ‘self-cleaning’?
What do you do with all the bubbles?
What if you want to cook something. Does food cooked in a soap kitchen kinda taste like soap?
Do all soap kitchen have fancy-shmancy bamboo work tables?

I have so many questions…

This really isn’t anywhere near your best option for a kitchen island. For one, it costs more than most kitchen islands would. For another, given that it lacks shelving underneath or a back by which you can hang pots and utensils on it, it lacks a lot of functionality that a lot of tables marketed directly as kitchen islands offers. Not to mention at only 20" of depth, it’s not giving you a lot of real estate.

I can walk into IKEA right now and find something for 90 bucks that will blow this thing out of the water in terms of kitchen usage.

You have to link it or it’s not true. (Assuming there’s an IKEA website - I dunno.)