Good Ideas Garden Wizard Elevated Garden

I wonder what the internal cubic capacity is? How much dirt will it hold? I guess I’ll find out once it is delivered.

Did anyone find the instruction PDF link that works?

I’ve been coveting something similar from Williams-Sonoma but this is a heck of a lot cheaper!

Self watering is a common but inaccurate description. It is a sub-irrigated planter or SIP for short. This is not a bad price for one on legs, but they can be made really easily and cheaply. Typically the bottom will be a reservoir holding about 1-2 inches of water which wicked up into tho soil using a mix rich in peat moss or coconut coir. Two key factors is an overflow hole at say the two inch point and a grate about an inch or so above the overflow that separating the soil from the water except at a few points (like 3 of the four corners) where the soil is allowed into water for the wicking to occur. Four corner generally has a fill tube for replenishing the reservoir. The separation and overflow allows the roots to have air which is critical.

Cool,a trough on sticks and only $100,sweet deal ?

This is basically a very expensive earthbox on a stand.

http://www.amazon.com/EarthBox®-Green-Container-Gardening-System/dp/B00A81FEYS/ref=pd_sim_lg_8

This is a good product but see the comments above about the price, size and other similar products. Make them $50 each with a limit of two or four, or $100 for a set of two.

Buy from amazon or build yourself. I’ve used mine for 3 seasons, flawless.

http://earthtainer.tomatofest.com

I would think an unused plastic drum and some 4x4’s could make something very similar. and alot less expensive.

When I first read “stackable” I thought they meant stacking it on some of your own 4x4’s and connecting the boards to make the thing taller. Since they were discussing the height of the thing being only 2 feet tall. If you stacked, wouldn’t you be putting the bottom one(s) in shade of the upper one(s)?

The other site linked does say “Completely stackable and infinitely expandable.”

This is so fantastic! Thanks for sharing - just what I need.

The straight math works out to 2.4 cubic yards. Adjusting for taper and internal bulkheads I’d say about 1.8 cubic yards which is about the size of a large wheel barrel.

You better get a quality post for this- you are by far the best post answering this question.

But it probably wouldn’t get approved by the HOA! Ha ha.

We made SIPs out of some old rubbermaid containers we had sitting around and pvc pipe.

I’ve been drooling over that too. I have a decently sized patio with lots of sunlight and would love something like this to grow a couple vegetables. Still seems like a lot of money though.

If you do stack them, be warned that the pressure-treated legs shown in the picture contain arsenic and should not be placed in garden soil.

We just finished building one from scratch (but much much larger than this…)

Pressure treated wood is fine as the super-structure, but don’t let it contact your soil or plants. Line it with cedar planking if you’re going to do that.

This one is quirky, but you can get all cedar elevated gardens from any number of sources for around $100 to $150 that will be bigger, more attractive, and probably sturdier than this one. Or, build your own for about $200. Ours is a full 48x48 inches and 14 inches deep, holds 16 cubic feet of soil and weights close to 1000 pounds fully loaded, but it’s a veritable cornucopia of veggies right now.

Magic would be how well anything would grow underneath the shade of the other garden.The legs only add 10" to the height so not much room for tall plants below. Also, the dimensions shown are exterior measurements so the actual growing area is only about 1’ by 3’.

This is the worst foosball table I’ve ever seen.

I really wanted 3 of these one until I saw the price. I guess I’ll leave building a few on my to-do list.