Google 13" Intel i5 32GB Chromebook Pixel

Google 13" Intel i5 32GB Chromebook Pixel

I owned one of these machines and they are wonderfully constructed. Very premium feel. But sadly they are not supported and don’t receive Chrome OS updates any longer.

1 Like

Good news, it came surprisingly fast. Slightly wacky news, it’s a UK model, with some keyboard differences, and a UK charger (with a US adapter.) It’s a nice well built machine, no complaints about that. I figure I’ll get used to the keyboard layout, but it might have been nice to warn about that.

2 Likes

The description mentions discontinued “warranty” but does not mention that this machine no longer receives Chrome OS and browser updates. This renders the machine prone to security threats and therefore a much riskier investment compared to a new Chromebook. The lack of update functionality eliminates the key feature of Chromebooks of automatic self-maintenance and updates which is the main reason for purchasing them. This is a significant shortcoming which must be disclosed in the description, otherwise false advertising.

1 Like

It’s there (now).

Look under the specs tab. :slight_smile:

I had to charge mine initially while it was idle. Charging and using at the same time from empty didn’t make progress.

Here are instructions for installing CloudReady:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Install+CloudReady+for+Chrome+Updates+(or+another+OS)/123869

1 Like

Anyone can install apps from playstore and can use it ?

No Android app support, old model

My thoughts as well. Packing slip indicates UK version but nowhere in the Woot.com description. Just a brief mention in specs that a US power adapter is included–did not recognize the significance of that until it arrived. I had no idea keyboards would be different between US and UK. Typing " every time instead of @ just due to muscle memory.

1 Like

Hi there. Yeah, the vendor forgot to mention the UK keyboard. We updated the specs about a week ago and added to the title today to be more obvious [hopefully].

If you’re unhappy with it, reach out to Woot! Customer Service.

From a browser, use the Woot! Customer Service form.

In the Woot! App, choose Account from the bottom navigation and then Support.

hey , I installed cloud ready and I am happy with the results. just follow the directions carefully on the ifixit tutorial. this allows you to receive regular updates to cloud ready os.

Hi! After you installed CloudReady, have you run Android apps or Linux on your Pixel?

Hi, cloud ready does not support android apps. It has support for Linux, I have not tried it though.

Ok, so I remember lusting for this computer years ago when it first came out but couldn’t justify the price tag. Last summer I ended up getting a Google manufacturer refurb Pixelbook and absolutely love it – the light weight, the speed, build quality, and long battery life. I definitely don’t need another high end (though, older Chromebook), but decided to go for this when it first popped up on Woot a couple of weeks ago. I was tempted to send it back because I was thinking that I really just need to cash right now and not another toy, but decided to keep it. It’s still a quick machine and the display is very nice. Truthfully, compared to any other sub $250 Chromebook, this one still beats them all for the price. The only weird thing is the UK keyboard layout. I’m going to try and install Cloud Ready and see how that goes. Overall, I’m happy with the machine and think I’ll use it for light photo and video editing.

2 Likes