Google Maps Exploration & Adventure!

Heh, i would, but I know too much about you, it wouldn’t be fair.

:tongue:

Your HS?

Uh… Littleton Co?

Columbine.

Are you going to tell us?

Ding ding ding!

We have a winner!

woohoo!!

You win absolutely nothing!

Yay!

Don’t forget the sharks and electric eels just off the beach!

If you scroll south down the Bypass toward Jockey’s Ridge, you can see the mini-golf and go kart tracks that Orville and Wilbur hung out at when the winds were down.

I can see my house, i think.

The one for my area must be atleast a year old.

I tried to figure out when they too the photo by the cars parked on the street.
It is weird how it blurs out when you get close. I wonder if the site did that or the photos are like that.

It depends on the resolution of the satellite pictures they have access to. Some areas have extremely high detail, others aren’t that great. Some higher security areas don’t have the very detailed stuff available for public use.

I’m thinking the resolution is the same, but if they let you zoom in too far it can be a privacy issue. I could get close enough to see my son’s red car in front of my house. It was clear enough to see who had a pool or deck in the yard too. I wonder why the town doesn’t use it for tax purposes.

Cool! Zoom in on this water park in the Netherlands.

It’s not the same. They’re different photos taken by different companies with different cameras over a span of years that are all patched up together. I’m sure the government would be allowed to have a say if they wanted something less detailed, but for the most part it’s just low resolution photos you’re running into. You can only zoom in so far before you max out the resolution because, let’s face it, it’s a free service and I don’t think they have the resources or need to show you the head of a dime on the sidewalk.

I mean, here’s The White House lookin’ pretty good. Also, The Pentagon. Try zooming in on Area 51 and you’ll definitely see some planes and activity.

My hometown is a giant, pixely green blob. I highly doubt it’s been marked top secret.

I bet they can see a dime. Lets face it , if I can see a car in the driveway I bet they have better. You never see people. I wonder where we all are?

There are cameras that are capable of that (like for the military), but again, I think it’s a resources issue. Do you know how much strain files of that size would put on Google’s servers? Add the millions of users around the globe who are accessing it simultaneously and it would be impossible. And for free? Ok, sure, no one wants to be zoomed in while sunbathing topless in their backyard, but that security feature is just a biproduct of the system.

And I have seen people on it. See all those little dots around the Eiffel Tower?

Yeah, I know. Parts of the area suck now compared to when I was a kid. The first time I camped at the KOA in Hattaras, there was nothing there except the fishing pier. Now, there’s an amusement park and go-karts and mini-golf.

Got to admit though, having a Wal-Mart right there without having to go off the island can be handy. And the medical care is much better now. I remember having to pack up and head to Manteo (which was a much bigger deal before the roads all got really nice) just to find a doctor.

Oh – you forgot to add the danger of all of the discarded fish hooks, frayed buried electric cables, killer undertow, sudden deadly storms, vicious crustaceans… Certain death, mainming or dismemberment for anyone visiting today who didn’t have the benefit of mapping it all out years ago, prior to the development.

BTW Neo, how long have you been going? How often?

vicious crustaceans? As in Killer Lobsters? Or those little crabs in the water that would get in your bathing suit?

Boat Graveyard off Staten Island. I think? Any New Yorkers?