Previous offer:
10/22/12 (Plus)

Courtesy of CJ:

So join or create a WW Gathering!

** No changes **

Whoa Whoa!

Hold down the chatter

Funny. I was thinkin’ the same thing.

Comments? Opinions? Tasting notes? Political commentaries? Something?

I’m not sure I have had a Washington state Merlot. In general, how does Washington state Merlot compare to California? Probably an unfair question since there are wide variety of Merlot.

Merlot ? Really ?? :^D

Love me some Washington State Merlot, lots of Merlot in Washington for a reason. Some info I dug up on this one:

88 POINTS
WINE ADVOCATE
“The 2007 Estate Merlot is medium purple with
a nose of cedar, spice box, violets, cassis, and
black cherry. Medium to full-bodied on the
palate with plenty of savory fruit…Enjoy over
the next 6 to 8 years.”
Jay Miller,
Wine Advocate, 8/2010

APPELLATION: Columbia Valley
BLEND: 100% Goose Ridge Estate Merlot
TOTAL ACIDITY: .87
pH: 3.76
ALCOHOL: 14.6%

88 POINTS
WINE ADVOCATE
“The 2007 Estate Merlot is medium purple with
a nose of cedar, spice box, violets, cassis, and
black cherry. Medium to full-bodied on the
palate with plenty of savory fruit…Enjoy over
the next 6 to 8 years.”
Jay Miller,
Wine Advocate, 8/2010

I love Washington state wines and really think merlot has been undeservedly hosed because of Sideways, but a Jay Miller 88 is, to say the least, concerning.

I will be the first to admit that scores shouldn’t be everything, but Jay Miller is notorious for giving average wine great scores. His 88 would be a Spectator 80…

That said, I really hope this is great wine and remain interested in hearing from someone(besides Jay Miller) who has actually had this wine…

I generally find Washington state Merlots to be bigger, I.e., more full bodied than their California counterparts. I love 'em.

JM’s palate is absolutely horrible. And scores are horrible. HIs notes make this sound delicious. Med-full bodied, savory fruit, some floral notes, and enough tannin to give it structure (the drinking window).

Not saying that I agree or don’t agree with Mr Miller, just posting what I was able to find in doing a little homework on this wine, because as I stated I enjoy Washington Merlot.

For people who follow reviewers, it is simply a reference point…I like so-and-so’s palate in Bordeaux, but not as much in Rhone wines, don’t like this reviewer at all, etc. I will say for most all critics I will read the description, and throw out the points altogether.

So to that end I posted what I found. You don’t like Miller, which means the review was indeed useful in your buying decision, or sounds like in this case not to buy.

I’m still on the fence.

Cheers!

That bottle is so elegant! I’d love to have the bottle in my collection. Haven’t tasted the wine unfortunately.

Thanks, based on my likes, that would is a good thing. I’m in for one. Would like to see some more input though.

in for one

I responded to rlmanzo’s post – he posted the same review, but seemed to be making judgments based on JM’s points. A terrible idea, IMO.

I too like Washington Merlots, but am concerned that these are quite pricy. Also, very little information to go with it.

I’ve had great luck with Columbia Crest and Red Diamond Merlot(both under $10), as well as 2007 Reininger Helix Merlot that I purchased from woot, and the 2007 Chateau Ste. Michelle Indian Wells Merlot (of which I purchased 1.5 cases, and have only 3 coveted bottles left).

Can someone chime in and let me know if this Goose Ridge Estate Merlot is comperable to the Helix or Chateau Ste. Michelle Indian Wells? If so, I’m in for at least 2.

Thanks!

It’s worth noting that a few decades ago, Washington wine was largely defined by merlots with cabs coming second (for reds), and syrah barely a blip on the radar. There are still many excellent C.V. and W.W. merlot (and merlot blend) producers (Pepper Bridge, Northstar, Delille) even after the Sideways effect.

I’d be interested in how this offering stacks up with the Northstar Columbia Valley merlots, which are perhaps not the best Washington has to offer but remain a model of delicious consistency-- unfortunate pricing aside.

I’m guessing, although I have had none of the wines mentioned, that this wine will be of substantially higher quality. Ch. St. M., for example, is a high production winery that makes hundreds of thousands of bottles per year. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that; however, their wines won’t be as unique? changing year-to-year? trying to come up with a non-highbrow description here.

The rub here is that some people who drink the likes of Ch. St. M. and consider it of high quality may not like this wine as it won’t be as commercialized.

I would like to get goosed by this Washington State Merlot but unfortunately they aren’t shipping to Louisiana . . . I am counting my blessings since I USED to live in Virginia and would be hosed completely everywhere all
the time unless I delved into Wootlegging.