Goose Ridge Estate Merlot (3)

Kyle…I’m confused…above you stated this wine was probably not a buy because Jay Miller liked it, now you praise it’s high quality???

No. I just said ignore Miller’s scores and that his description actually makes it sound good. The person who I was responding to said it wasn’t a buy because JM gave it an 88, and alluded to the fact that 88 is a low score for JM.

To be clear, I didn’t say this was high quality juice. I said I’m guessing it is compared to Ch. St. M. and the like.

Sorry to hijack this woot for a competitor Sonoma Valley Red Blend Ty Caton ‘Tytanium’ Caton Vineyard 2010 on WTSO for $34.99 a bottle w/free shipping for orders of 3 or more.

Just got it I’ve wanted to try it and it popped up in my email Bet it sells out. How long should I cellar it?

Ty’s website indicates 2014-2021 as the drinking window.

Not a fan of these field blends, particularly at this price point. Guess I’m just old fashioned.

That would actually make you new-fashioned (is that a phrase?). Field blends are the old way of doing things and monoclonal vineyard blocks with separate fermentations and post-hoc blending are relatively new technology in the wine world. Of course none of that matters in whether you like the wine or not, just that it’s not a newfangled thing, those field blends :slight_smile:

Also, TyTanium isn’t a field blend. It’s a separate fermentation post-aging blend (same as Wellington Victory, but with different grapes).

Back to this wine, though, the pH looks a little high to me. Otherwise I’ve had generally good luck with Washington wines, including Merlot. It does well in cooler climates like WA, BC, Niagara, and Bordeaux.

My apologies if the Tytanium is not co-fermented, and Ty has previously referred to his Field Blend Red as a mini-Tytanium…and yes I realize blends/field blends have been around for a long time…but for the $80.00 Ty is asking on his website, or even the $40.00 on WTSO, no thank you. No right or wrong, just not a fan of people pumping up Cabernet and Merlot or Pinot with Syrah and PS and charging crazy prices.

Please take this discussion here
http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?pageindex=31&postid=5118466

Regardless of its composition or manufacturing methods, I agree the price is kind of nuts. Ty’s always been kind of cagey about the status of his “field blend”. I think the 2005 was a true field blend, but I’m not sure about anything since then. Either way, back to the Washington Merlot.

If I was buying wine at this time I’d be highly tempted, but still I’d like to know more about the relatively high pH.