Gorilla 16,800 mAh Battery Pack w/LED Screen

When you purchase this here, woot offers you an optional TWO YEAR warranty from Square Trade for $5.99 in the confirmation screen after checkout

If you are looking for a portable charger, I’d look at newer models that include card readers and on board wifi.

This for example, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CSFCYFY

Granted doesn’t have nearly as much juice, but it’ll still give you a good 6+/- charges. And with the built in wifi, you can bring along a hefty media collection on a portable HD or SD card and stream instead of having to fill up your devices internal storage.

I have two of these and they work great. I can run my Cell phone and Jambox while streaming Pandora for several extra hours. This unit will fully recharge my Motorola Razr Maxx HD 5 times between charges. I am going to buy 2 more right now. Great for use with solar charger for storing power on the go. The built in white LED light is very bright and handy. I have a mini USB rechargeable Nitecore P25 flashlight running on a single rechargeable 3000 mAh Lithium Ion 18650 battery and this little power pack will recharge it fully 4 times. This device is built like a tank and will stand up to heavy use. Highly recommended.

Very bright Blue backlit display. You can’t go wrong with this one.

There’s a reason battery packs are popular - they are very handy since mobile device internal batteries often give out just before you want them to.

This huge 16,800 mAh size is great since you could do multiple phone and tablet charges, but it is a bit bigger and heavier for that convenience. Even charge a tablet and phone at the same time.

It is nicely priced (at $45, delivered) for the capacity and the inclusion of the lightning cable, assuming the cable really passes the latest Apple compatibility tests. You can always use your own cable if not.

Reliable 10,000-11,000 mAh batteries can regularly be found for about $25. They can charge one typical tablet and one typical smart phone, also at the same time.

I like having multiple small and medium battery backs that charge what I want but not more. It diversifies our dollars in smaller chunks across brands and sizes (and ages since these are typically rated for at most 500 cycles) so if one fails there are others to back it up and we don’t dump a pile of money in one spot.

The advantage of also having 2600 mAh packs ($10-15) is it is they are much easier to slip In a pocket. That size will fully/nearly fully charge an iPhone 5 or add about 20-25% to an iPad (often enough to get you out of trouble in a crunch.)

Didn’t notice the iPad Air listed - perhaps due to this battery pack model being older than the Air?

Hard to imagine it not being compatible - although the included lightening cable might be problematic, requiring you to use your own cable. In fact, the cable compatibility issue might be the reason these are on Woot and they’re clearing them out. Still priced OK even if the cable does not work with the latest Lightning devices/OS versions.

The Gorilla site shows that it is:

Apple: iPhone 5(s) (Lightning adapter included) / iPad Air / iPad Mini (2) / iPhone 4(s) / iPhone 3GS/ ipod touch / classic / nano / iPad 2/3/4

I’ll see about getting our specs updated with those ( ).

My Girlfriend ordered one the last time they were on Woot.

Awesome.

Purchased 3 more.

30 pin Apple is 30 pin Apple. I would almost bet my dog on the fact it will work on any 30 pin device. I have a first gen iphone that I use for Wi-Fi, and it uses modern 30 pin cables with no problem.

Bought two of these just before Christmas. What seems to be more and more common, one worked and one didn’t. We were able to get Gorilla to swap it out and all is well.

Takes forever to charge, but we get a ton of useful life out of it.

Big and heavy.

Can not plug in the Gorilla to charge and expect it to charge other things at the same time. One or the other.

LED light is nice if you don’t have any other flashlights, or your phone around as a light.

Will not charge a Samsung Note 10.1.

Will charge all i products in our house.

Any comment on how long it holds a charge? That is, If fully charged, but not it used for a while, how long would it maintain the charge?

Where is the extended warranty on the checkout?

Seems a bit surprising that Corning would not feel “Gorilla Gadgets” infringes on “Gorilla Glass” since they are both in the mobile device industry.

And it would not be surprising to see Corning license its excellent trademark for battery packs or other mobile products.

I got one of these and also a smaller model last time around. They work great for charging on the go.

Just don’t use the included cables / adapters. They will short out the battery pack. Use your OEM cables and you should be fine.

Actually no… this is pretty normal for a unit with this capacity. Remember, this is a huge! pack.

I’d like to hear this too. I bought one of the overpriced Anker products, a $79 12,000 mAh external pack with LCD. Once fully charged, the charge indicator would drop to 83-85% after only a day. Returned it, of course. Comparing that to my 2+ year old EZO Power 6800mAh (bought off woot), which seem to hold they’re charge for a couple of months without noticeable degradation (I have four, and they are well-traveled).

But that long charge time is a potential reason to right-size your battery pack to what you want to charge with it.

At the other end of the size spectrum, we have some 2600 mAh batteries (perfect to top off a phone and pocketable) that take about 5 hours to recharge.

Note that charge time very much depends on the USB power source you use. Ideally you want to match or better the input amp-rating of the battery pack. (1 amp in the cast of this Woot.)

Also, all battery packs have a limited number of charge cycles (typically 500 or less before they really deteriorate). So matching the battery size to your needs is a more efficient use of charge-cycles.

So, right now Amazon.com is listing this package at $68 and free shipping, not $58. And they also aver that the Apple Lightning-Connect is Apple-compatible (and I am inferring they mean that it is MFI, as an earlier commenter referred to.)

Has anyone tried running a raspberry pi off of this?

This may be a silly question but is it possible to charge the battery while a device is plugged in and charging?