Gourmet Nut Artisan Sea Salts & Grinders

Your mouth is salivating? What other part of your body would you expect to salivate? Wait, don’t answer that.

Oh god, you used the magic “toxin” word. IE “I actually don’t know anything about how the human body works, but I think it has bad stuff or something.”

skeptic facepalm.

I have to say these seem grossly overpriced and aimed only at buyers who like to be trendy. If you want Himalayan salt, you can buy a salt lamp for much less and grind off pieces of it. It is the same thing except you will get several pounds instead of a few ounces.

sorry to say, i bought this a while ago and it was one of my most disappointing woots. the grinders couldn’t grind, resulting in either no salt coming out, or you’d end up with large crystals. they also didn’t keep out any moisture, so if you didn’t use it within a week of peeling off the foil seal the salt clumped up.

i guess the salt tasted well, but i got so little use out of all of them i don’t remember.

can’t recommend this one.

Aagh! I live for the gourmet food wootoffs. How did I miss that one!

Bought this set a while back, it’s a great way to try different salts without making a commitment to large quantities and the grinders make it easy to use. As a previous poster said they can clump up (esp the sel gris which I never use the grinder for) so keep them in a cool dark place if possible. If not, the tops screw off easily, and you can break up the clumps and be back in business.

Question, can the lid be removed to access the salt in crystal form? I have also had problems with spices that come in poor quality plastic grinders. With some of them you can completely remove the lid so you can used a better grinder, instead. I think if I could count on that with this offer, I would be in for one.

I have this set and yes they can

Iodine is in the soil in the US and you get it in the food you eat, which is why iodine deficiency is virtually unheard of here. Also, every time you eat in a restaurant or have any processed food of any kind, including bread from a bakery and dairy products, there is salt in it which likely contains iodine. Rest easy, you will not suffer from the dread iodine shakes.

For those of you that live near a Trader Joe’s, you can re-create the most interesting elements of this set (smokey, pink) for about half the price.

For everyone else, this isn’t that cheap. You can’t think about what you’re getting in terms of designer sodium chloride; you have to think of it in terms of amount of flavor vs $25 of other spices. Yeah, it’s still a close call.

I’m going to pass and get my sel(f) to TJs.

This makes a great gift for those “salt of the earth” folks in your life.

Amazon has the pink for 4.95/8 oz.

The colors are due to impurities and other minerals. I just finished reading a great book, Salt: A World History, which I highly recommend for any fan of salt (or history).

I will be picking up a set of the salts here.

The smoked salt is really good on top of a pat of butter served with some bread. You get a little butter, a little bread and a little hint of smoke.

To be extra smokey, throw a loaf of bread on the grill too.

Yummy!

Word of warning, if you make your own butter, the smoked salt doesn’t work so well. Turns your butter grey. :frowning:

Jen

I bought these the last time they were up and I really like them. The smoked salt is really tasty, it smells really good too.

Can anyone explain how “sea salt” is hand mined in the Himalayan mountains?

I bought a pink, a white and a smokey sea salt trio from costco. Unfortunately I still haven’t used them, so I don’t need more :slight_smile:

All salt is sea salt. :slight_smile:

It’s not. It’s labeled Himalayan Pink Salt, not sea salt.

The Himalayan Pink Salt is a staple in India. You can get it cheap in any Indian store by the pound.

In India it is primarily used in fruit salads. Also to spike up yogurt to make “Raita”, along with other spices.

Sprinkle on a watermelon, or on a sliced banana with a drop of lemon juice for a heavenly taste.

It has special properties to make foods more digestible.